Departure time from ft lauderdale-fff

skf

I am sure this has been asked before, but still...Our transatlantic cruise is arriving at FLL Saturday Oct 22, scheduled to arrive 6:00 AM. We would like to fly Southwest back to Manchester-MHT. One flight leaves at 11:20 AM, the next at 1:25 PM.

Could I ask our friends here at CC for any advice as to which to choose?

Thanx, Steve

(don't know how I managed to type "fff" for FLL, but I did!)

Edited by skf

Commonly discussed on the Florida Departures board that flights before 11am are tight and not recommended. But there are success stories.

As you appear to be on a ship returning from a "season" outside of the US, things might be slower clearing the ship.

I am sure this has been asked before, but still...Our transatlantic cruise is arriving at FLL Saturday Oct 22, scheduled to arrive 6:00 AM. We would like to fly Southwest back to Manchester-MHT. One flight leaves at 11:20 AM, the next at 1:25 PM.

Could I ask our friends here at CC for any advice as to which to choose?

Thanx, Steve

(don't know how I managed to type "fff" for FLL, but I did!)

If you are returning from a transatlantic, I would opt for the late flight.

There can be activities that occur in that situation that can cause significant delays, for example, Coast Guard inspections, USPH inspections, all crewmembers having to see US officials, etc.

Thanks, Keith...it's Royal Princess, with no stops between the Azores & FLL. I had a feeling 11:20 might be a bit tight, but not having flown out of FLL since 2012 thought I'd seek input.

We like Southwest for this because it'll bring us home to MHT more directly than some of the Delta flights we've been on. We're flying out of BOS to Rome but do not want to limo back from BOS on the return.

sky, given that there are no stops and you will be clearing immigration/customs at Port Everglades I would not do this. There is one other cruise ship in port that day which is the good news but given that you have no stops it is not worth the risk. You just never know if there will be a medical emergency along the way which will slow you all down or if weather or other issues will occur where the captain can't make up the time and you arrive late or if there will be insufficient personnel.

I would go with the later flight. This way you have no pressure.

Fort Lauderdale can be a zoo. We flew Southwest just last month out of there and they do a nice job but that terminal is packed and even check in can be tedious.

So I would go with the later flight.

Keith

Definitely the later flight. I have heard of immigration and customs being delayed on a TA disembarkation; in fact we were on the next cruise waiting to embark and we were told specifically that disembarkation was delayed plus then coast card had their inspection to conduct.

Thanks to all...We will heed your advice & go for the later flight.

We didn't have to ask for advice for last October's cruise because we drove home.

Steve

Good choice, your stress level will thank you.:)

Thanks to all...We will heed your advice & go for the later flight.

We didn't have to ask for advice for last October's cruise because we drove home.

Steve

Steve, you did right to check.

Normally we would have pointed you to the Florida Departures Board but since we knew the answer it was easy to assist you here.

Keith