Anyone not use the Kids Club?

LuCruise

We're going on Royal's Allure of the Seas in about 6 weeks with our kids who will be 10.5 and 6.5 years. So excited.

We don't travel much as a family and so this is time for us to spend together.

The Allure is super family friendly between activities (mini golf, rock climbing, flowrider...for my older one, ice skating, cup cake decorating, etc), tons of shows/parades/meet and greets (day and night) and of course there are the swimming pools with splash area.

Since this is a family vacation, and our kids go to camp in the summer and are in after care at school (i.e. where they have time of organized fun with other kids), we have no plans on sending them to the kids club.

I know a lot talk about how great these clubs are, but just curious, are we the only ones? Or do others think along the same line?

DS isn't old enough for kids club yet, but when we cruised with my then 5 year old niece she only went for one activity all week, which may have been a family activity not even in the kids club. If I had cruised as a kid I probably would have preferred to stay with my family too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here, our kids begged to go play. But we still enjoyed a lot of family time in the pools/water slides etc. and of course the time together in port. Most kids don't like "relaxing" and getting a tan. Neither do they want to do a 2 hour meal. So if they go for a few hours, do more adult activities. Then get them out to watch a movie or see a show in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also spend most of my time with my kids on cruises because we don't see each other enough the rest of the year, but we do use the kids clubs because over a week's time, we all need a break from 24/7 togetherness now and then. In fact, it becomes an issue during non-cruise vacations since there is no kids club escape - we have to look for a playground or something where they can go tear around on their own.

Best,

Mia

To answer your questions, yes. Yes, there is so much to do on Allure that if they didn't step foot in the kids clubs, they would have fun.

However, the clubs are fun for the kids if they have activities that appeal to them. If your 10 year old is like mine, he might think he is too cool for it. But if they have something he is into...look out we might never see him again! And if you are comfortable, your older one is able to check himself in and out IF you agree to it. So he can leave if he does not like something.

All kids are different, but hey if they want to check it out, they might actually like it. :) If not, no big deal...you are on vacation!

I'm sure there are plenty who's kids don't go. Are you sure they wouldn't enjoy some time, doing "kid friendly" things?

If you think they might want to...go on the 1st night, when everyone is new!

But on Allure, it is super kid friendly...DreamWorks characters (shows, meet and greets), activities we can do together, pool, mini golf, rock wall, etc The ship in itself is kid-friendly .

Same here, our kids begged to go play. But we still enjoyed a lot of family time in the pools/water slides etc. and of course the time together in port. Most kids don't like "relaxing" and getting a tan. Neither do they want to do a 2 hour meal. So if they go for a few hours, do more adult activities. Then get them out to watch a movie or see a show in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but hey, who said our cruise was relaxing? We're not expecting to just lounge at the pool and work on a tan. Not even sure I'll bother to bring a book (and if I do, it's just for the airplane).

I also spend most of my time with my kids on cruises because we don't see each other enough the rest of the year' date=' but we do use the kids clubs because over a week's time, we all need a break from 24/7 togetherness now and then. In fact, it becomes an issue during non-cruise vacations since there is no kids club escape - we have to look for a playground or something where they can go tear around on their own.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I see your point, but when we went to Disney for example, it's not like we dropped them off at MK and picked them up later. We did things together...at most, DH took and child and I took the other since they have different interests.

Anyways...if they are asking to go, then we'll have them try it. But for us, the idea is to enjoy our vacation together. Life is so busy at home that we don't have much time to do things together and share these great memories.

Edited by LuCruise

No, once the kids were old enough we started shipping them off to the kids club! ;) Family time is great and all, but they like spending time with other kids and we need some vacation time to rejuvenate as well. We never vacation without the kids so a few hours break here and there is imperative.

No, once the kids were old enough we started shipping them off to the kids club! ;) Family time is great and all, but they like spending time with other kids and we need some vacation time to rejuvenate as well. We never vacation without the kids so a few hours break here and there is imperative.

Yeah, I do get it. And you need a vacation too.

I guess for us, since we don't travel much and our lives are so busy at home, I look at it as "this is our family time to be together". They have these opportunities at home year round (not on a ship, but organized fun kids activities with other kids), so I don't see us using it. Only time that is a "maybe" is one night there is an adult only comedy club. But that's the one show I don't mind missing, so perhaps DH will go to that one alone. (And our kids may just want to chill one of the nights in the cabin with all our other late nights....and actually go to bed at a decent time?... lol)

Can report back in a couple months and let you know if we ended up using the clubs.

Yeah, I do get it. And you need a vacation too.

I guess for us, since we don't travel much and our lives are so busy at home, I look at it as "this is our family time to be together". They have these opportunities at home year round (not on a ship, but organized fun kids activities with other kids), so I don't see us using it. Only time that is a "maybe" is one night there is an adult only comedy club. But that's the one show I don't mind missing, so perhaps DH will go to that one alone. (And our kids may just want to chill one of the nights in the cabin with all our other late nights....and actually go to bed at a decent time?... lol)

Can report back in a couple months and let you know if we ended up using the clubs.

We rarely go and do anything "fun" without them. Mostly drop them off when we are going to go walk laps or do something the kids wouldn't enjoy anyway. We always take them to the dinners, shows, etc. assuming they want to go. We've been mostly cruising Disney lately and we do try and limit their kids club time as they would spend all day there otherwise.

Have a great trip by the way! Looks like you are cruising the week before us.

Edited by c-cruise

We rarely go and do anything "fun" without them. Mostly drop them off when we are going to go walk laps or do something the kids wouldn't enjoy anyway. We always take them to the dinners, shows, etc. assuming they want to go. We've been mostly cruising Disney lately and we do try and limit their kids club time as they would spend all day there otherwise.

Have a great trip by the way! Looks like you are cruising the week before us.

That's the way we see it...let's have the "fun" together. :D

Thank you...you have a great cruise too. April looks like a great time to travel. We've been on the Magic before and it's an amazing ship.

I haven't cruised with my children yet, but we finally will in January! I have four ranging from 13-7 and we homeschool. Even though we are literally together 99% of the time, I'm not sure how much they will want to be in the kids club. My youngest daughter is very shy, and they are all happy to be together. It will be interesting to see what they choose.

I haven't cruised with my children yet, but we finally will in January! I have four ranging from 13-7 and we homeschool. Even though we are literally together 99% of the time, I'm not sure how much they will want to be in the kids club. My youngest daughter is very shy, and they are all happy to be together. It will be interesting to see what they choose.

You'll have to report back and let us know.

How much my kids like/love the kid's club depends on the cruise, the counsellors and the number of kids/nature of kids on board.

There are cruises when they beg to go, and there are cruises when they beg not to go.

I understand what you are saying about family time and we are the same way. Every day we make sure of the following:

-all meals are eaten together as a family

-swim time each day is together as a family.

My daughter seems to enjoy the kid's club more but my son watches the activity list to see if he likes what is offered.

If they don't want to go we don't force them and if they want to go, we don't stop them, except for meals and family swim time.

I would suggest taking your kids the first night so they can meet the other kids. Look over the day-by-day schedule (you should get a packet when you first board...if not, ask one of the kids' staff for one). There could be activities they will be excited about. There may also be some activities offered that parents can take part in. I remember there was a karoake contest on a Carnival cruise that my hubby seemed to enjoy more than our 4-year-old (he picked cruise-oriented songs that she wasn't familiar with).

My daughter was old enough to be in the kids' program by her second cruise and sometimes in the morning, she would wake up and ask if "ship's school" was open. We had plenty of time as a family even with the large amount of time she spent with other kids -- if kids want to go swimming, the kids' program doesn't take them to the pool. Our daughter also liked the entertainment shows so she would often come with us. On our last cruise, at age 15, she would sometimes ask if we wanted to see a show with her -- I guess her group of fellow 15-year-olds skipped the shows or went with their families.

Our son always wanted to go to the kids club, and we were very glad it was there since it allowed us to take really ambitious vacations in which my son was able to tour St. Petersburg and see a lot of other really interesting cities with us (he did the Baltics and Central America at 3, and the Panama Canal at 2).

It is exhausting taking a toddler to museums in Europe, and our son wouldn't have been able to have all of these wonderful cultural experiences he had if we hadn't been able to drop him off at the kids club when we got back on the ship to rest.

He absolutely loved the kids club, and we had to adjust our son's nap schedule on the ship to match the times the kids club was closed since he didn't want to miss becoming a tiger and performing on the main stage.

When my kids were younger they loved the kids camps, and my husband and I felt that it was their vacation as well, so we let them go. That being said, the kids were (and still are) required to join us for meals and to join us in the ports. There are some exceptions to the meal rules, especially now that they are almost 18 and 17.

I would suggest taking your kids the first night so they can meet the other kids. Look over the day-by-day schedule (you should get a packet when you first board...if not' date=' ask one of the kids' staff for one). There could be activities they will be excited about. There may also be some activities offered that parents can take part in. I remember there was a karoake contest on a Carnival cruise that my hubby seemed to enjoy more than our 4-year-old (he picked cruise-oriented songs that she wasn't familiar with).

My daughter was old enough to be in the kids' program by her second cruise and sometimes in the morning, she would wake up and ask if "ship's school" was open. We had plenty of time as a family even with the large amount of time she spent with other kids -- if kids want to go swimming, the kids' program doesn't take them to the pool. Our daughter also liked the entertainment shows so she would often come with us. On our last cruise, at age 15, she would sometimes ask if we wanted to see a show with her -- I guess her group of fellow 15-year-olds skipped the shows or went with their families.[/quote']

Yes, I can see it being a good idea to go on day 1 if you plan on using it. But as mentioned in my original post, we don't plan on using the kids club. For us, this is a family holiday. Our kids have lots of fun activities when they are at home and the idea of a cruise for us is not to dump them elsewhere for babysitting. On any other vacation, this isn't even an option.

My post was to see if others are like us too.

Yes, I can see it being a good idea to go on day 1 if you plan on using it. But as mentioned in my original post, we don't plan on using the kids club. For us, this is a family holiday. Our kids have lots of fun activities when they are at home and the idea of a cruise for us is not to dump them elsewhere for babysitting. On any other vacation, this isn't even an option.

My post was to see if others are like us too.

Maybe you are feeling defensive, but many of us let our children go to the clubs because we think they will really enjoy them, not to dump them elsewhere for babysitting. We have 5 kids, and on vacations, many times we'd split up, so that everyone could enjoy different things (cruises, WDW, beach, skiing..). Family vacations don't mean joined at the hip 24/7 for us.

Maybe you are feeling defensive, but many of us let our children go to the clubs because we think they will really enjoy them, not to dump them elsewhere for babysitting. We have 5 kids, and on vacations, many times we'd split up, so that everyone could enjoy different things (cruises, WDW, beach, skiing..). Family vacations don't mean joined at the hip 24/7 for us.

Yes, I'm quite put out by the word "dumped". My kids love the clubs and the chance to meet other kids. They ask to go, and like to pick from the activities that are going on. Hanging out with me the whole time bores them. I can see from a lot of the other posters here that I'm not alone.

So you don't want to use the kids clubs. That's fine - your call, your family. But I can't help but feel like your post about finding "others like you too" (people who don't use kids clubs) is a bit snide. What's the purpose of finding this bit of information out except to have a public opportunity to slate people who do like to use the clubs on your thread?

Yes, I'm quite put out by the word "dumped". My kids love the clubs and the chance to meet other kids. They ask to go, and like to pick from the activities that are going on. Hanging out with me the whole time bores them. I can see from a lot of the other posters here that I'm not alone.

So you don't want to use the kids clubs. That's fine - your call, your family. But I can't help but feel like your post about finding "others like you too" (people who don't use kids clubs) is a bit snide. What's the purpose of finding this bit of information out except to have a public opportunity to slate people who do like to use the clubs on your thread?

I apologize. Bad choice of words and I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone.

Guess I was just posting on the family board to see if others make use of the kids club or if some ignore it and find enough other things to do (which I guess depends on the ship). But not saying one way is right or wrong. It's what each family prefers.