Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

Before I leave the first afternoon and evening from our cruise, I wanted to mention a couple of things. The first is in regards to American Table and the Sunshine. As most of you know, the Sunshine will be moving to American Table with the 3/5/16 sailing.

My thoughts on American Table are it is time for something new. We don't really care whether there is a table cloth or not, or a carafe of water or a bowl of bread on the table. In fact, those things just make it easier for everyone (IMHO), I do realize not all of you feel the same way though.

The point of bringing it up is that having been on the Breeze after they had switched and it did have an impact on the staff adjusting to it. My words of advice are be calm and enjoy.:)

Thanks so much for the review!! We're going on her in August (first time) and I've heard mixed reviews. Love that you include pictures!

My youngest is a picky eater, so the idea of the American Table might suit him pretty well. For me, I like to try new things, so I'm not sure how I feel about this new dinner concept. Is the food worth it?

I do!!! And I've missed you! It's been crazy the past year or two and now finally I get to go on a desperately needed cruise! How have you been?

Things are good here, I think you will enjoy the Sunshine. Sailing out of New York is good thing as well! Feel free to comment or question along the way. On the previous page is a link to our last cruise aboard the Sunshine which has a bunch of pics as well.

Thanks so much for the review!! We're going on her in August (first time) and I've heard mixed reviews. Love that you include pictures!

My youngest is a picky eater, so the idea of the American Table might suit him pretty well. For me, I like to try new things, so I'm not sure how I feel about this new dinner concept. Is the food worth it?

It is a little different, I do have to say, but there are staples that carry on. Some of the apps are shall we say eclectic (from our doing in on the Breeze) but there is no way one could not find something to eat.

From my perspective, the staff had a harder time with it than the cruisers (but I have been known to be in the minority from time to time here;)). They certainly have made some minor adjustments along the way.

Things are good here, I think you will enjoy the Sunshine. Sailing out of New York is good thing as well! Feel free to comment or question along the way. On the previous page is a link to our last cruise aboard the Sunshine which has a bunch of pics as well.

Thanks! I think the last time we spoke, I was on my way to see my nephew in the hospital, who was in an a severe accident. He's doing better now too.

I'll definitely check out your other review!:D

Which is the nicer of the 2 dining rooms?

It is more preference than anything else. If you like YTD, than the discussion in moot, you will be in the aft dining room. We enjoy it, especially if you do early dining as the outside views are better/easier to see. If late dining not much to look at. The other variable is in the aft dining room (especially lower level) you can get some prop vibes, again when pulling away from a port more than underway at sea. Probably more of an answer than you wanted.....:)

I was thinking about maybe going on that behind the scene's tour the ship offers on the last Sea Day with my boys. Have you been on it? Is it worth it?

We have. I LOVED it. It is fairly intensive and requires a good deal of walking and they will not let you bring a camera. It takes about 3 1/2 hours t complete and you will see areas of the ship you would not otherwise get to see such as the brig, the morgue, staff quarters, the laundry (god bless those souls), engine control room, the bridge, kitchens, staff dining areas, entertainment areas and more. The boys would really enjoy it.

We have. I LOVED it. It is fairly intensive and requires a good deal of walking and they will not let you bring a camera. It takes about 3 1/2 hours t complete and you will see areas of the ship you would not otherwise get to see such as the brig, the morgue, staff quarters, the laundry (god bless those souls), engine control room, the bridge, kitchens, staff dining areas, entertainment areas and more. The boys would really enjoy it.

Thanks!! I've always been curious to do it but never did. I have to go to the excursion desk anyway to pick the cabana I rented. I'm going to try and reserve this tour as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!! I've always been curious to do it but never did. I have to go to the excursion desk anyway to pick the cabana I rented. I'm going to try and reserve this tour as well.

I think you will enjoy it! Let me know your thoughts when you return.

It is more preference than anything else. If you like YTD, than the discussion in moot, you will be in the aft dining room. We enjoy it, especially if you do early dining as the outside views are better/easier to see. If late dining not much to look at. The other variable is in the aft dining room (especially lower level) you can get some prop vibes, again when pulling away from a port more than underway at sea. Probably more of an answer than you wanted.....:)

This is helpful. I have Early Time Dining, so I guess we'll see where they put me anyway.

Boarding at Port C. was very easy we got to the waiting area just before the they started boarding. Seating was limited but only because of the time we zipped through the check in progress. I think we were boarding zone 4 or 5. We parked in the garage at the port this made it very easy for our family as well I highly recommend it with the 40% off voucher. After we debarked then through customs on the road by 9:30.

Where do you get a 40% off for parking?

So what is this with the new menus coming out on March 5th? We'll be on that cruise. Did you get any more info about the changes?

No, in fact, I had to ask them about it because I knew it was happening. Search on the main thread for American Table. You will find many threads listed there. If you can't find it, let me know and I will look. My guess is because it will be the first week, service in the MDR might be a tad slower as they adapt, but have nothing to base it on. For the most part is some menu changes and flair around the meal.

Fantastic....thanks for sharing...love this..with folks you come to see alot here...great to follow and have a superb time.

Thank you Sarah! Hopefully I can kick it in gear a little more and keep it moving. Every day life keeps trying to creep back in full time, but doing the review keeps it fresh for a while longer.....

Thank you Sarah! Hopefully I can kick it in gear a little more and keep it moving. Every day life keeps trying to creep back in full time, but doing the review keeps it fresh for a while longer.....

Favorite professor always said.."not to worry." Take your time..it is all good!!

:) thanks too for help with this darn aging thing..can't control it..it is i hope less ego than just wanting to be swift enough for important things and to plan for them...and to learn to worry less..as dad is going down the Grand Canyon on a mule next week at 81 3/4 years...he just had to get it in before a certain surgery he has needed for years and years that may have helped him on this ride..LOL. Pray the cowboy comes back in one piece..he flew in there exactly 60 years ago this spring with Air force Rotc with the kids who had a 4 point from CU...so a big deal for him and thank God going with a 10 year younger neighbor.....ok end of my tour, you can see his ship interest is nil, he had a prayer and travel blessing at our little church thank God, I shall find my own fellow sailors and looking forward to your story, always good....LOL..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Favorite professor always said.."not to worry." Take your time..it is all good!!

:) thanks too for help with this darn aging thing..can't control it..it is i hope less ego than just wanting to be swift enough for important things and to plan for them...and to learn to worry less..as dad is going down the Grand Canyon on a mule next week at 81 3/4 years...he just had to get it in before a certain surgery he has needed for years and years that may have helped him on this ride..LOL. Pray the cowboy comes back in one piece..he flew in there exactly 60 years ago this spring with Air force Rotc with the kids who had a 4 point from CU...so a big deal for him and thank God going with a 10 year younger neighbor.....ok end of my tour, you can see his ship interest is nil, he had a prayer and travel blessing at our little church thank God, I shall find my own fellow sailors and looking forward to your story, always good....LOL..Sarah

Wow, good for him. Hope I am that spry when I get there. Aging....ah yes. What is the AA prayer, worry about the things you can control and know the difference?? Easier said then done, but I won't go down without a fight LOL. Love the Grand Canyon BTW!!

No, in fact, I had to ask them about it because I knew it was happening. Search on the main thread for American Table. You will find many threads listed there. If you can't find it, let me know and I will look. My guess is because it will be the first week, service in the MDR might be a tad slower as they adapt, but have nothing to base it on. For the most part is some menu changes and flair around the meal.

Interesting! Thank you very much!

I'm not sure if you know this answer, but I thought I'd ask. I have cabin 6175. The deck plans were down when I booked it online, so I didn't know the location. Now I see its behind elevator. I've never had a cabin so close to elevators before. Do you recommend moving? Not sure what the noise level is like there. Thanks!!

I'm not sure if you know this answer, but I thought I'd ask. I have cabin 6175. The deck plans were down when I booked it online, so I didn't know the location. Now I see its behind elevator. I've never had a cabin so close to elevators before. Do you recommend moving? Not sure what the noise level is like there. Thanks!!

I wish I could give you better info. I have never stayed next to an elevator so I can't really give you any good input. I have stayed near them but we always stay in a balcony. Sorry

First Sea Day Feb 14th

We are morning people, sometimes that is good and sometimes not so much. This cruise was no exception. Getting up early we headed for the gym. It was close to opening time but did not have to beat the door down to get in. I half expected to find it full. It was not, although by the time we left is was fairly full. For those who don't know, on the Sunshine the Gym is through the Spa forward on deck 10. For us and where our cabin was that was a short walk down the hall and then up a flight of stairs.

Our daughters family does not get up so early so after the gym, we showered and then headed back to the Havana area for breakfast. This is a great area to go for breakfast or lunch. It takes the better part of a week for people to find out where it is and that the omelet guys are far less busy then the ones forward, more seating in that area as well.

After a quick breakfast we headed out to see how bad the chair hogs were going to be this trip. Coming out to the main lido deck we got our answer....full force. We grabbed chairs and waited for the rest of the crew to join us.