Queen Mary Tour

Ship2Shore41

DW and I are sailing Monday on the Inspiration and are flying in early. We were thinking about doing the tour on the Queen Mary, since she is next door. Has anyone done this tour and is it worth it. My DW was stationed in England for a bit and is a huge Diane fan and it looks like the have an exhibit.

Thanks for any help

We did this about four years ago. I am not sure if anything has changed but we were able to do early check in with Carnival and leave our bags. We then spent a couple of hours at the Queen Mary. I really enjoyed the ship and the tour we did. I don't recall the Diane exhibit. We did the ghost tour which I enjoyed.

The good thing was when we got back we were in group 1 and had to wait about 10 minutes to board.

We did this about four years ago. I am not sure if anything has changed but we were able to do early check in with Carnival and leave our bags. We then spent a couple of hours at the Queen Mary. I really enjoyed the ship and the tour we did. I don't recall the Diane exhibit. We did the ghost tour which I enjoyed.

The good thing was when we got back we were in group 1 and had to wait about 10 minutes to board.

We did the Queen Mary tour in Oct 1988 during our honeymoon. The funny thing was the night before we were going to do the tour we watched a show on TV about ghosts on the Queen Mary (it was almost Halloween). It kind of spooked me out as we toured and when we were by the engines a burst of steam went out and I about hit the ceiling I jumped so high. Little did we know that we would fall in love with cruising 13 years later when we took our first cruise on the Disney Wonder.

I toured the Queen Mary in April 2015 with my daughter who lives in L.A. (We weren't doing it pre- or post- cruise). There are a lot of options on things to see and do onboard (Princess Diana exhibit, historic ship exhibits, self-guided audio tour, ghost tours, the new 4-D theatre, etc.) depending on what kind of admission ticket you buy. We did all of these options except the 4-D theatre which was not open then.

However, according to the website below, the free admission for Carnival passengers is only a "General Admission" ticket. I am not 100% sure, but I expect this only allows you to walk around the ship (or perhaps do the self-guided audio tour) and see the historic ship exhibits. I doubt that the Princess Diana or other "extras" are included in the free admission, but perhaps they will let you pay extra to see it.

If your husband is a huge Princess Diana fan, then he will enjoy the exhibit which includes a number of her dresses and gowns and other things pertaining to her and the Royal Family. I really enjoyed it, but my daughter, who could care less about Princess Diana, was not particularly interested.

Even if all you get to do with the General Admission is walk around the ship and look at the historic exhibits and those rooms which are open to the public, it woud be well worth doing, especially for free. My daughter and I are taking a cruise out of Long Beach later this year and plan to take advantage of this free admission to the Queen Mary even though we have been there before. It's a beautiful ship and very interesting to tour.

http://www.queenmary.com/stay-aboard/nearby-attractions/long-beach-carnival-cruise-terminal/

Loved it- we stayed there overnight the night before our cruise on the Imagination. The audio tour was included in the price of the cabin. Beautiful ship. You toured at your own pace- took a few hours. The infirmary was the best. And the haunted pool. They also have the 'ghost' tour at night. Can't wait to do it again.

I also did the tour back in 2009..the Dianna and 4d theater exhibits are new. I had read about it. Also before 2009 visited with a T A friend for a meal with some of the managers.

There was a period dress up party beginning and a tattoo convention ending LOL in 2009..and none of that stopped me from enjoying one thing. In fact workers in main rooms were even more fun setting up and taking down. I absolutely love that ship, is is a terrific blast from the past with so much history and so wonderful to do as part of your cruise at beginning or end...very fond of the ship and port there. Try to see some of the cabins too..and the chapel....I just love it.

We also stayed there the night before our Hawaiian cruise out of Long Beach. What a neat place to stay. We toured the ship on our own and looked at the Princess Di exhibit. Also loved the fact that you just walk a few steps to board the ship the next morning.:):):)

DW and I are sailing Monday on the Inspiration and are flying in early. We were thinking about doing the tour on the Queen Mary, since she is next door. Has anyone done this tour and is it worth it. My DW was stationed in England for a bit and is a huge Diane fan and it looks like the have an exhibit.

Thanks for any help

I don't know if you'd want to see any of the ship in advance, but we stayed there the night before our Oct., 2015 Hawaii Cruise. Pictures 7-46 of the "album" are of the Queen---just click on the link below. We really enjoyed the experience----but the Halloween Fair kept us up till past 1:00 a.m.

HAWAII CRUISE AND THE QUEEN MARY

Edited by chocolate melting cake

I stayed 5 nights on the Queen Mary while attending a trade show in LA along with several business associates. Being an ocean liner buff / historian, it was a must do, and all my colleagues loved it. "Why stay in LA, stay at the Queen Mary". We all had a great time- you'll love to see her. Just remember she is a 1930s ocean liner, and was the fastest in the world for 17 years.

DH and I did the free one, the only spot you can't get to is the pool for doing the self guided. They use different people to do those tours. It was so worth it and took our time. You also have the submarine next to it for a fee to tour. That was fun. We stayed on her when we cruised. The eating was good. The trolleys are free to take around, the buses will guide you. On the queen Mary there no he rooms are one of a kind. I would do it again.

I stayed 5 nights on the Queen Mary while attending a trade show in LA along with several business associates. Being an ocean liner buff / historian, it was a must do, and all my colleagues loved it. "Why stay in LA, stay at the Queen Mary". We all had a great time- you'll love to see her. Just remember she is a 1930s ocean liner, and was the fastest in the world for 17 years.

How wonderful. I got to see many rooms in my 2 visits..have never spent the night and still have my extra tour ticket...no time for the ghost tour last time in 2009..lol.

I love that, " fastest in the world for 17 years" ...her history is amazing...I did not get to see the Norway that a friend raved about; so glad we have this ship.

Edited by sjn911

But as you know Stu (golfadj) the Queen Mary wasn't a cruise ship.

Could of fooled me. We spent two nights while in Long Beach for a school and she looked like a cruise ship to me.

Yes, she is well worth touring.

Edited by jamesr3939

Could of fooled me. We spent two nights while in Long Beach for a school and she looked like a cruise ship to me.

Yes, she is well worth touring.

I think the point was that the QM as is her namesake ocean liners, deep hulled as opposed to cruise ships with flat bottomed hulls.