Hamburg, Germany

gkrnjlr

We're booked on the NCL Jade for 2017 and one of the ports it goes to is Hamburg. I'm not finding much of anything on Cruise Critic for excursions or things to do there and NCL doesn't have excursions listed yet.

Has anyone been there? Is this a port we should do on our own? Or what are the must see/do things there?

Thanks!

The port is Hamburg, not Kiel.

Hamburg is easy to do on your own, although getting into the city can be a little bit of a pain. It is a reasonable walk and certainly doable without luggage.

Personally, I would recommend MinaturWunderland, and it's a very nice and easy city to walk in.

Is your port Kiel? Seems most like to go to Lubek for the day. Checkout the thread on NE Germany started by travelanni, should be just down the page ... Loads of info and it has a link to her webpage.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

The port is actually Hamburg. This is the itinerary posted by NCL.

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Southampton (London) (England); Hamburg (Germany); Amsterdam (Netherlands); Brussels / Bruges (Zeebrugge) (Belgium); Le Havre (Paris) (France); DISEMBARK Southampton (London) (England).

The port is Hamburg, not Kiel.

Hamburg is easy to do on your own, although getting into the city can be a little bit of a pain. It is a reasonable walk and certainly doable without luggage.

Personally, I would recommend MinaturWunderland, and it's a very nice and easy city to walk in.

MinaturWunderland looks really neat! Usually we prefer sightseeing. I love to see architecture and learn more about the history of places, buildings, etc. Is it possible we'll find sightseeing tours?

I'm sure that sightseeing tours are available. They aren't something I look at so I can't help with details.

Personally, I would do some research and walk it ourselves. It's very easy to get round. We've got a day in Hamburg before we board the Jade, and had half a day last year and that's what we did (and plan to do again)

I'm sure that sightseeing tours are available. They aren't something I look at so I can't help with details.

Personally, I would do some research and walk it ourselves. It's very easy to get round. We've got a day in Hamburg before we board the Jade, and had half a day last year and that's what we did (and plan to do again)

Sounds like a good plan for us, then.

I'm curious....do you know where the ship will be pulling in?

I'm curious....do you know where the ship will be pulling in?

The Norwegian Escape was docked in Steinwerder, which I believe is the terminal that has been developed lately and I assume that's where the Jade will dock, although I don't think anything has been confirmed.

http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu/en/terminal-cll/hamburg-cruise-center-steinwerder

If it isn't there then the alternatives are probably a little easier to get to the city from, so that would be a bonus. I'll be surprised if it isn't Steinwerder though.

The Norwegian Escape was docked in Steinwerder, which I believe is the terminal that has been developed lately and I assume that's where the Jade will dock, although I don't think anything has been confirmed.

http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu/en/terminal-cll/hamburg-cruise-center-steinwerder

If it isn't there then the alternatives are probably a little easier to get to the city from, so that would be a bonus. I'll be surprised if it isn't Steinwerder though.

Excellent! Thank you for your help!

There are hop on off buses operating in front of the main harbour area at base of hotel hafen which are multi lingual and cover the main city sites

Of course the main nighttime attraction of hamburg is the reeperbahn!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Information good to know.

Sadly we leave at 5pm or we would check out the reeperbahn.

Thank you!

MinaturWunderland looks really neat! Usually we prefer sightseeing. I love to see architecture and learn more about the history of places, buildings, etc. Is it possible we'll find sightseeing tours?

If you like sightseeing, architecture and history, then I suggest you go to Luebeck, an old Hanseatic town. It's less than an hour from Hamburg by train. We went there last summer during our cruise and it was a highlight of our entire trip. It's simply a very interesting place to visit with great architecture.

If you like sightseeing, architecture and history, then I suggest you go to Luebeck, an old Hanseatic town. It's less than an hour from Hamburg by train. We went there last summer during our cruise and it was a highlight of our entire trip. It's simply a very interesting place to visit with great architecture.

Is this something that the ship will most likely offer as an excursion? Or did you go off on your own?

I don't think the cruise lines offer excursions to Luebeck--ours didn't. It's easy to do on your own. As mentioned in Post #2, Travelanni's thread on Northern Germany will have info on Luebeck and her webpage will have the train info. I also recommend looking at Rick Steves' "Northern European Cruise Ports". He has good info on the sights of Luebeck including directions for a self-guided walking tour. In addition to doing the Rick Steves tour, we rented an audio tour from the Luebeck Tourism Office. It wasn't very good, so I wouldn't waste your money on it.

In Germany Hamburg is one of the cities most worth living in. There are many things to do and see. Even the harbour itself is an attraction. If you like architecture, go to St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, St. Michaelis Church, try to catch a guided tour in the old City Hall. Don't miss out the harbour tour by boat with the old Speicherstadt and the new HafenCity. From Steinwerder you can use the Old Elbe Tunnel to get into the city http://english.hamburg.de/attractions/nofl/4602592/old-elbe-tunnel/

Lübeck is nice, but I would definitely stay in Hamburg.

In Germany Hamburg is one of the cities most worth living in. There are many things to do and see. Even the harbour itself is an attraction. If you like architecture, go to St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, St. Michaelis Church, try to catch a guided tour in the old City Hall. Don't miss out the harbour tour by boat with the old Speicherstadt and the new HafenCity. From Steinwerder you can use the Old Elbe Tunnel to get into the city http://english.hamburg.de/attractions/nofl/4602592/old-elbe-tunnel/

Lübeck is nice, but I would definitely stay in Hamburg.

Thanks! This sounds like a good plan.

I'm looking forward to going. It's just so long till we go.

Thanks again!

There are hop on off buses operating in front of the main harbour area at base of hotel hafen which are multi lingual and cover the main city sites

Of course the main nighttime attraction of hamburg is the reeperbahn!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

I found the link to the HOHO bus. http://www.viator.com/tours/Hamburg/Hamburg-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour-Red-Double-Decker/d777-3880HAM01

There seems to be about 26 stops. Anyone knows which stop is the closest to the Princess cruise terminal? How long will it take to walk to the bus stop from the cruise terminal?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :)

I found the link to the HOHO bus. http://www.viator.com/tours/Hamburg/Hamburg-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour-Red-Double-Decker/d777-3880HAM01

There seems to be about 26 stops. Anyone knows which stop is the closest to the Princess cruise terminal? How long will it take to walk to the bus stop from the cruise terminal?

I'm curious as well....does anyone know?

In Hamburg you can simply walk over to Minator, which might sound a bit silly (Google the place) but is quite wonderful. There are also some cafes in that same neighborhood. If you want to go further afar there is a local bus stop right around the corner from the port, and with a little homework (and a guide book) you can just about go where you please using the surface and underground transportation systems.

Hank

we were staying in hotel hafen which the HOHO buses started at the base.You could see the cruise ships across the river and when the ELBE tunnel is open probably a 10 to 20 min walk

Taxi from ship to harbour takes a lot longer as it's a more circuitous route

The cruise terminal is new and bound to get busier with more ships so I wonder if the HOHO operators will do as they have in other cities and start the buses from cruise terminal to cater for ships passengers

we were staying in hotel hafen which the HOHO buses started at the base.You could see the cruise ships across the river and when the ELBE tunnel is open probably a 10 to 20 min walk

Taxi from ship to harbour takes a lot longer as it's a more circuitous route

The cruise terminal is new and bound to get busier with more ships so I wonder if the HOHO operators will do as they have in other cities and start the buses from cruise terminal to cater for ships passengers

There are now three cruise ship terminals in Hamburg, spaced quite far apart. The above post refers to the newest, Steinwerder, across the river from the city. As suggested you can walk through the Old Elbe Tunnel but for those who do not fancy a 15min walk under the river there is a ferry terminal quite nearby and most lines will offer shuttles.

The oldest of the three, Hafencity City, is as Hlitner says only a walk from Minatur Wonderland, the Speicherstadt (old warehouse and canal area) and the historic waterfront. It is also served by public buses into the city centre and Hoho buses.

The third, Altona, is only a short walk along the waterfront to the above and is also served by public buses and the Hoho buses.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://Www.travelanni.webs.com

There are now three cruise ship terminals in Hamburg, spaced quite far apart. The above post refers to the newest, Steinwerder, across the river from the city. As suggested you can walk through the Old Elbe Tunnel but for those who do not fancy a 15min walk under the river there is a ferry terminal quite nearby and most lines will offer shuttles.

The oldest of the three, Hafencity City, is as Hlitner says only a walk from Minatur Wonderland, the Speicherstadt (old warehouse and canal area) and the historic waterfront. It is also served by public buses into the city centre and Hoho buses.

The third, Altona, is only a short walk along the waterfront to the above and is also served by public buses and the Hoho buses.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://Www.travelanni.webs.com

Travelanni.....we came to Hamburg a couple of years ago with MSC....we are returning this year...will the MSC Splendida still dock in the same place as the Magnifica did a couple of years ago?

Travelanni.....we came to Hamburg a couple of years ago with MSC....we are returning this year...will the MSC Splendida still dock in the same place as the Magnifica did a couple of years ago?

Sorry but I can't answer that one without dates. However, the web site below will give you the answer. It has all the information on dates, times and berths of all the cruise ships expected in Hamburg during 2016, even photos!

http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Spelling

Sorry but I can't answer that one without dates. However, the web site below will give you the answer. It has all the information on dates, times and berths of all the cruise ships expected in Hamburg during 2016, even photos!

http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu

Anni

Thank you Travelanni. I have had a look at the web site that you gave and I think it says for our date ...18th September... it will be Steinwerder. Had a look at the map but to be honest I am not very good with maps. Last time we visited...Sept 2014 on MSC Magnifica where it docked was very good. We just came off the ship...turned right...walked past the market and market hall and along the front so I am not sure if this is the same dock...from my description does it sound like it could be?

Thank you Travelanni. I have had a look at the web site that you gave and I think it says for our date ...18th September... it will be Steinwerder. Had a look at the map but to be honest I am not very good with maps. Last time we visited...Sept 2014 on MSC Magnifica where it docked was very good. We just came off the ship...turned right...walked past the market and market hall and along the front so I am not sure if this is the same dock...from my description does it sound like it could be?

Hi, from your description I would say you were docked at Altona last time. I'm afraid Steinwerder is nothing like as convenient. It is on the other side of the river opposite Altona, behind the Blohm & Voss shipyard. I must admit to being a little surprised at that being chosen as the site for a cruise terminal. At present the only public transport is the cross river ferry a fair walk away and taxis or you can walk through the Old Elbe Tunnel under the river . There is nothing on the official web site about transport except, and I quote, 'connections to the HVV public transport network are in the planning'. Their boast that it is right in the heart of Hamburg is quite true but the river cuts that heart in two, city on one side and docks on the other and unlike the other two terminals Steinwerder is in the dock area.

It is very early days yet though and I suspect that the cruise lines will run shuttles and the HoHo buses will put it on their routes.

The terminal is not yet marked on most maps but the tunnel and the shipyard are so that should give you some idea.

Anni