Is 32 too young to sail on Oceania?

morpheus4356

Some people here seem to assume that all the 20 and 30 somethings want a big party, and I just don't think that's true of all of them. It certainly wasn't true of ME. I'm not saying absolutely everybody will love the vibe on Oceania -- it's clear from many posts that such is not the case. But we shouldn't assume that there aren't younger folks who would fit right in.

I have seen on other lines that go to lengths to have activities . Trivia , ping pong tourneys , I don't know , dance lessons ? They also have formal night (s) . There seems to be some obligation on the part of the cruise lines to supply the "Party" atmosphere . And maybe that appeals to a good many .But what I like about .. O .. is that they have better food , in both the grill / buffet and the MD . All the fancy coffees you want , cappuccinos , espresso , in the small stations or dining areas . Again no charge . Any bottled water in your cabin . No charge . Any non alcoholic drinks , included . Specialty restaurants were all pretty good . And at no add. charge . NO FORMAL night .There was , and I assume still is , a Captains Cocktail Party . Something else of a tradition on cruise lines . But this is not an hour of tray past , watered down drinks, going through a couple bars on the ship . Oceana , on I think night 2 of the cruise , makes the announcement that the Captains party is in all the bars , order anything you want , ( no single malt scotches , and I'm sure some exclusions on real high end juice ) . But call brands , and I think some tasty bites .And let me tell you , throw a 2$ tip at your waiter and you will be hammered at will . Doubles , whatever you want . AND it goes two and a half hours ! Now THAT'S a cocktail party . They also threw another for the former cruisers on O a couple days later .I have never seen free booze on any other cruise line . They also have DVD players in your cabin. And a library of discs. downstairs , free , I think a four day limit . So , if you enjoy just being on a ship . Not having to cook , change the bed , clean the loo . Fresh towels always within reach , and just be taken care of , take the entertainment that's offered , you'll do fine on Oceana . Always met pleasant people . No bikini watching , but I'm hopeful .

;););)

Edited by iamkingofall
I am a thinkin feller

Doubtful. Maybe…2-to-4 (if you're lucky)…. Maybe.

Ya want peers (And I don't know if you do….)? Lovely as it is, O probably ain't fer you!

Keep searching…you'll find it. (The right cruise line, I mean.)

Best!

Definitely not for you. Especially at night. Bedtime for most is after mediocre at best show or after Trivia, about 10:30 PM:-(

We love O for dining and itineraries but nighttime is quite dull.....and we're much older than you.

This thread has made me a bit sad. I was really looking forward to the new itineraries being released for our 20th wedding anniversary but doesn't sound like a good fit even though we're not into late night parting

If what you are looking for is a floating 4 1/2 star hotel, without all the usual rah-rah cruise stuff in your face all the time and better itineraries than the mass markets... then O will be a good fit.

Edited by buggins0402

This thread has made me a bit sad. I was really looking forward to the new itineraries being released for our 20th wedding anniversary but doesn't sound like a good fit even though we're not into late night parting

What type of experience are you looking for?

Each sailing can have a different vibe

port intensive cruise people tend to retire early as they up & gone very early the next day ..there may still be some late night people in the bars or lounges maybe not singing the night away

Maybe try a short Alaska cruise to see for yourself

What type of experience are you looking for?

Each sailing can have a different vibe

port intensive cruise people tend to retire early as they up & gone very early the next day ..there may still be some late night people in the bars or lounges maybe not singing the night away

Maybe try a short Alaska cruise to see for yourself

We're looking at a western med cruise that Oceania seems to excel at. Something similar to what Marina is doing in May 2017. A Barcelona to London or similar route. It would be port intensive so I'm not looking for partying. It was just this thread has honestly been depressing for one not yet 50

All underware does the job

How you personally feel about the fit or the texture is entirely up to you

Pick a cruise or pair of underwear that you think will fit for your taste

I have met 32 yearolds that felt like they were 70. Likewise I have met 70's who felt like 20's

Its all about how you feel. How open and relaxed you are. Do you have opinions on what to expect? Do you have expectations of how others receive you? Do you worry about acceptance in a new or unfamiliar situation?

The bottom line is being open...its no big deal if you dont exactly fit in to a mold . If you dont, why, heck your on a great ship. great food and can enjoy far more than you could at home.

Try it...if it works cool If it does not, then crank back your expectations and go with the flow. Blend in.mellow out... Don't let the situation, even if it is not ideal mar your enjoyment.

There is a poem that goes.

" The greatest adventure is what lies ahead,

Today and tomorrow are yet to be said,

The chance, the changes are all your 's to make....the mold of your life is in your hands to break"

Well....Amigo, the door is open.......

My wife and I are going on our 5th O cruise and we're in our 40's. Our last 2 O cruises have been with 2 different couples who are also in their 40's. O is our go to cruise line. For us it comes down to accommodations, food and itineraries. That's where we feel Oceania excels.

We recently sailed Celebrity (family commitment) and we'll never do it again. Yes it was slightly cheaper but the food, smaller state rooms and crowds were a turn-off.

At the end of the day it's your time and money, do what you feel comfortable with.

Edited by CB BOARDER

We're looking at a western med cruise that Oceania seems to excel at. Something similar to what Marina is doing in May 2017. A Barcelona to London or similar route. It would be port intensive so I'm not looking for partying. It was just this thread has honestly been depressing for one not yet 50

Why so? Some of us are encouraging you to give it a try! It does depend on what you are looking for. But it sounds like at the very least you would not be UNHAPPY on an O cruise in the med.

There have been some posts from 30 somethings who said they enjoyed their cruises very much ... I won't say there are lots of them, but they DO exist.

And if you don't mind meeting up with older folks, you should be fine.

I'd love to be on the same cruise with you ... I used to be young ...

Mura

Doubtful. Maybe…2-to-4 (if you're lucky)…. Maybe.

Ya want peers (And I don't know if you do….)? Lovely as it is, O probably ain't fer you!

Keep searching…you'll find it. (The right cruise line, I mean.)

Best!

All underware does the job

How you personally feel about the fit or the texture is entirely up to you

Pick a cruise or pair of underwear that you think will fit for your taste

I have met 32 yearolds that felt like they were 70. Likewise I have met 70's who felt like 20's

Its all about how you feel. How open and relaxed you are. Do you have opinions on what to expect? Do you have expectations of how others receive you? Do you worry about acceptance in a new or unfamiliar situation?

The bottom line is being open...its no big deal if you dont exactly fit in to a mold . If you dont, why, heck your on a great ship. great food and can enjoy far more than you could at home.

Try it...if it works cool If it does not, then crank back your expectations and go with the flow. Blend in.mellow out... Don't let the situation, even if it is not ideal mar your enjoyment.

There is a poem that goes.

" The greatest adventure is what lies ahead,

Today and tomorrow are yet to be said,

The chance, the changes are all your 's to make....the mold of your life is in your hands to break"

Well....Amigo, the door is open.......

This is a very poignant response, however spending $20,000 on a cruise is quite a stretch from buying underwear. Yes, if it doesn't fit, throw it out. There are wonderful cruises that are more befitting people in 30's/40's.

We're 70 and after 21 days on Nautica, we were looking forward to getting back to work and the "kids" we work with. The mold was being only with other seniors for 3 weeks. Reason we haven't retired

Why so? Some of us are encouraging you to give it a try! It does depend on what you are looking for. But it sounds like at the very least you would not be UNHAPPY on an O cruise in the med.

There have been some posts from 30 somethings who said they enjoyed their cruises very much ... I won't say there are lots of them, but they DO exist.

And if you don't mind meeting up with older folks, you should be fine.

I'd love to be on the same cruise with you ... I used to be young ...

Mura

Probably because I'd be dropping more money on a vacation than ever before on the unknown. I'm trying to decide if fellow passengers age would have any affect on such a port intensive cruise. And I don't mean that snarky. I'm not worried about seniors it's just wondering what the whole vibe of the cruise would be like compared go say Princess or Celebrity, lines that we are used to

My wife and I are going on our 5th O cruise and we're in our 40's. Our last 2 O cruises have been with 2 different couples who are also in their 40's. O is our go to cruise line. For us it comes down to accommodations, food and itineraries. That's where we feel Oceania excels.

We recently sailed Celebrity (family commitment) and we'll never do it again. Yes it was slightly cheaper but the food, smaller state rooms and crowds were a turn-off.

At the end of the day it's your time and money, do what you feel comfortable with.

Thank you

Probably because I'd be dropping more money on a vacation than ever before on the unknown. I'm trying to decide if fellow passengers age would have any affect on such a port intensive cruise. And I don't mean that snarky. I'm not worried about seniors it's just wondering what the whole vibe of the cruise would be like compared go say Princess or Celebrity, lines that we are used to

I can't answer that question. I certainly understand that $$ can be a consideration. But there have been plenty of people (younger than the average passenger) who have been happy on Oceania, ESPECIALLY on port intensive cruises. (Maybe that's because even younger folk can also be tired after a full day of touring, dinner and maybe the show.)

No one can guarantee that you would enjoy an Oceania cruise. You either bite the bullet and go, or don't. I am not going to try to convince you, this is a decision only you can make.

I personally cannot talk about Princess (we did an Alaska cruise in 1990 when we were the young ones!) or Celebrity -- we've never been on Celebrity but I know Oceania fans who have enjoyed Celebrity very much.

Again, it depends on what YOU would enjoy ... which can be hard to predict. When I was young I enjoyed being around older people. Now that I am old, I enjoy being around younger people ...

I have seen a number of comments here saying that 70 is the average age on O ... I don't think that is quite true, at least not from what I have seen. Maybe it depends on your itinerary ...

Someone did a poll about ages (not that everyone participated) and there were more 50s and 60s than 70s and almost no 80s.

Then again, I've never been able to predict someone's age by looking at him or her ...

Mura

I can't answer that question. I certainly understand that $$ can be a consideration. But there have been plenty of people (younger than the average passenger) who have been happy on Oceania, ESPECIALLY on port intensive cruises. (Maybe that's because even younger folk can also be tired after a full day of touring, dinner and maybe the show.)

No one can guarantee that you would enjoy an Oceania cruise. You either bite the bullet and go, or don't. I am not going to try to convince you, this is a decision only you can make.

I personally cannot talk about Princess (we did an Alaska cruise in 1990 when we were the young ones!) or Celebrity -- we've never been on Celebrity but I know Oceania fans who have enjoyed Celebrity very much.

Again, it depends on what YOU would enjoy ... which can be hard to predict. When I was young I enjoyed being around older people. Now that I am old, I enjoy being around younger people ...

I have seen a number of comments here saying that 70 is the average age on O ... I don't think that is quite true, at least not from what I have seen. Maybe it depends on your itinerary ...

Someone did a poll about ages (not that everyone participated) and there were more 50s and 60s than 70s and almost no 80s.

Then again, I've never been able to predict someone's age by looking at him or her ...

Mura

I totally agree with you. And I knew what I was potentially signing up for but reading this thread just seemed a bit over the top and burst a bit of an excitement bubble.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Gee whiz, did I say something wrong? I was trying to be even handed about my comments! I certainly wasn't trying to discourage you ... also I wasn't trying to encourage you. Just trying to be even handed!

Whatever you decide will be right for you, I am sure.

Mura

Gee whiz, did I say something wrong? I was trying to be even handed about my comments! I certainly wasn't trying to discourage you ... also I wasn't trying to encourage you. Just trying to be even handed!

Whatever you decide will be right for you, I am sure.

Mura

Hah? Did I say something wrong? I thought you had been most helpful. I didn't mean to insult you. What did I say?

Maybe our posts crossed! You had said something about "but reading this thread just seemed a bit over the top and burst a bit of an excitement bubble" and now I think maybe you were referring to previous comments, not mine!

At any rate, I hope to meet you on a cruise soon! We have 3 booked between June 2016 and April 2017 ...

Mura

Maybe our posts crossed! You had said something about "but reading this thread just seemed a bit over the top and burst a bit of an excitement bubble" and now I think maybe you were referring to previous comments, not mine!

At any rate, I hope to meet you on a cruise soon! We have 3 booked between June 2016 and April 2017 ...

Mura

Yes, definitely it wasn't your posts that I found depressing. I think Oceania is a wonderful line and I find it a bit sad it's being discouraged based on age. Likewise on meeting on a cruise ;)

I totally agree with you. And I knew what I was potentially signing up for but reading this thread just seemed a bit over the top and burst a bit of an excitement bubble.

That is why I suggested trying a short Alaska cruise or just a short cruise on O to get a feel for Oceania

now it may be different vibe in the Med but you will at least see what is on offer

I have met some 80 yr olds that have more energy than I do & even stay up past 11 pm ;)

There are some people that do not want anyone younger than themselves on their cruise

We have had 20 somethings to 80 somethings all seem to enjoy their time onboard

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Edited by LHT28

Cruise Junky,

If you are still interested in an Oceania cruise, I think you should go for it. You will see many comments here discouraging younger people ... and likewise, many of us will say you will be welcome. The main thing is knowing in advance the vibe on the ship ... people who expect a lively night life probably will be disappointed, that is all.

And with that, I will bow out!

Mura

Cruise Junky,

If you are still interested in an Oceania cruise, I think you should go for it. You will see many comments here discouraging younger people ... and likewise, many of us will say you will be welcome. The main thing is knowing in advance the vibe on the ship ... people who expect a lively night life probably will be disappointed, that is all.

And with that, I will bow out!

Mura

Thank you. And you too LHT28

This is a very poignant response, however spending $20,000 on a cruise is quite a stretch from buying underwear. Yes, if it doesn't fit, throw it out. There are wonderful cruises that are more befitting people in 30's/40's.

We're 70 and after 21 days on Nautica, we were looking forward to getting back to work and the "kids" we work with. The mold was being only with other seniors for 3 weeks. Reason we haven't retired

Yes cruises cost more than underwear... but you can not really give a final opinion on how they affect or effect you cant be determined except by you!

Im in the same age bracket.... and objectively at that stage of life, you can always get more money but you cant get more time.... That holds true at any age actually. If you try something and its not 100% great, you still had the experience and used your time to enjoy, so its not a waste if you dont go crazy happy....50% is just fine.... heck even 20% in a pinch....... Consider this as to what you makes you happy, sad, angry, pleased, excited or depressed...........its ALL your choice to decide which road to take...no one else its all you choosing what to feel.

It's no small investment that's for sure and it is for our 20 year anniversary so I don't get a do over. Doing the math based on the new brochure that was posted yesterday we'd pay about the same in US $ or slightly more than we're paying for Koningsdam in Canadian but instead of our oversized balcony on their brand new ship we'd have to go inside on Marina. Canadian exchange is painful on Oceania :( hopefully they'll offer Canadian deals again at some point. Having to add 32% to their prices is depressing ;)

Edited by Cruise Junky

It's no small investment that's for sure and it is for our 20 year anniversary so I don't get a do over. Doing the math based on the new brochure that was posted yesterday we'd pay about the same or slightly more than we're paying for Koningsdam but instead of our oversized balcony on their brand new ship we'd have to go inside on Marina. Canadian exchange is painful on Oceania :( hopefully they'll offer Canadian deals again at some point. Having to add 32% to their prices is depressing ;)

Don't give up. Oceania's bookings are slow and they're offering some deep discounts (not shown in brochures). Do a little research or contact a high volume TA and you'll get a balcony for the price of an inside plus O'life.

It's no small investment that's for sure and it is for our 20 year anniversary so I don't get a do over. Doing the math based on the new brochure that was posted yesterday we'd pay about the same in US $ or slightly more than we're paying for Koningsdam in Canadian but instead of our oversized balcony on their brand new ship we'd have to go inside on Marina. Canadian exchange is painful on Oceania :( hopefully they'll offer Canadian deals again at some point. Having to add 32% to their prices is depressing ;)

I admit that the Canadian$$$ is in the toilet;That has got to hurt.

Doing the math is not entirely a good way unless you confine it to products/cruises of equal stature... The HAL ship may be new...but its got 3000+ Its a nickel and dime, no air, add the tax and port. No internet, and a nowhere near the quality of cabin, cuisine or variety. Yes its got a great showtime, and is a HUGE mega ship to roam around....AND you might get a special pin to flaunt showing your special status to all the lesser pin holders. Suffice to say its a totally different experience. Heck you could compare to a RCCL or Carnival or Princess ship.... You need to compare quality against quality.. Mercedes against BMW.. Not Mercedes against a Toyota or chevy.

It all boils down to what you value and the importance of your values.

To me, O fits like a glove, I have tried the others and neither my wife nor I , at this point , are willing to take second best to save surface $$$. simply because there is not any value to us in a lesser line or ship...

You have to decide...you want a semi lux experience or a boat ride....