a few questions about Sydney--wifi, wine, and transport

Well this was active while I was away, wasn't it?! :-D

I live in a small town where we have Woolies, Coles, and Aldi and to be honest for a week in the city I'd use whichever major supermarket is most convenient. I do like Aldi, and lots of their store brands are made by big brand companies (their Hazelnut Spread is currently brand-name Nutella in a different jar... shhh.. I didn't tell you that... ). Many of their once off products are fantastic, and they're the only chain I know of that you can actually just buy a bottle of wine with your groceries. That's common in the US, but here it's kind of unheard of. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, though, and if I were in Aus for a short amount of time I wouldn't spend time travelling there if there was a pretty good Coles or Woolies nearby. I mainly shop at Coles because I have some dietary needs in our family that they cater for better than the other two, but I probably spend at all three over the fortnight at one time or another. IGA is good, too, and sometimes in the city I've just stuck to those smaller grocers when I'm staying in one area for a week. I might spend a touch more over the course of the few days I'm there, but often it's no more expensive and has more ability to offer quirky things the big shops don't stock.

Well this was active while I was away, wasn't it?! :-D

I live in a small town where we have Woolies, Coles, and Aldi and to be honest for a week in the city I'd use whichever major supermarket is most convenient. I do like Aldi, and lots of their store brands are made by big brand companies (their Hazelnut Spread is currently brand-name Nutella in a different jar... shhh.. I didn't tell you that... ). Many of their once off products are fantastic, and they're the only chain I know of that you can actually just buy a bottle of wine with your groceries. That's common in the US, but here it's kind of unheard of. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, though, and if I were in Aus for a short amount of time I wouldn't spend time travelling there if there was a pretty good Coles or Woolies nearby. I mainly shop at Coles because I have some dietary needs in our family that they cater for better than the other two, but I probably spend at all three over the fortnight at one time or another. IGA is good, too, and sometimes in the city I've just stuck to those smaller grocers when I'm staying in one area for a week. I might spend a touch more over the course of the few days I'm there, but often it's no more expensive and has more ability to offer quirky things the big shops don't stock.

Meamat

Yes, in the end I think this is what we will do but its good to know all the options if we have a choice.

I don't understand the part I bolded--you can't just go in these stores and buy a bottle of wine? What am I missing here?

I am still reeling from finding out last week that I can only take 2 bottles of wine onboard. Now it sounds like there is some sort of issue with buying wine at a grocery store? What secret are you guys not sharing?

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

I don't understand the part I bolded--you can't just go in these stores and buy a bottle of wine? What am I missing here?

Because mostly we buy wine from bottle stores. ;)

Some supermarkets have bottle stores attached or nearby. Some Aldi stores stock wine. There is a Vintage Cellars bottle store a couple of blocks from where you are staying, at 61-65 Oxford St (near the corner of Pelican St). Aldi is in the same shopping centre by the looks of things.

I suspect "Meamat" might live in Queensland, where grocery stores are not licenced to sell wine - or any other alcohol. Anywhere in NSW (obviously including Sydney) most grocery stores also sell alcohol - and have a good selection of wines, beers, etc.

I suspect "Meamat" might live in Queensland, where grocery stores are not licenced to sell wine - or any other alcohol. Anywhere in NSW (obviously including Sydney) most grocery stores also sell alcohol - and have a good selection of wines, beers, etc.

The IGA store in the AMP building at Circular Quay (young St) sells some very fine wines including Penfolds Grang Hermitage ($500 - $5,000 :eek:) as well as your standards.

My two local supermarkets don't :(

And I know of several nearby that also don't sell wine.

Plenty of bottle stores though. :D

My two local supermarkets don't :(

And I know of several nearby that also don't sell wine.

Plenty of bottle stores though. :D

Nor do ours.

But they do all have Bottle shops next door.

As do most of the pubs.

I live in NSW, but in most of the US there is an alcohol section within the supermarket (not separate like a BWS or Liquorland here in Aus).

But yes, most Coles and Woolworths stores have a Liquorland or BWS store (respectively) next to it, but Aldi is the only one I know of where you can just pick up a bottle of wine or some beer to go with your dinner and actually ring it all through the same register in the same store.

I live in NSW, but in most of the US there is an alcohol section within the supermarket (not separate like a BWS or Liquorland here in Aus).

But yes, most Coles and Woolworths stores have a Liquorland or BWS store (respectively) next to it, but Aldi is the only one I know of where you can just pick up a bottle of wine or some beer to go with your dinner and actually ring it all through the same register in the same store.

There are legislative requirements around it in NSW. Part of that is that you need to be over 18 to sell alcohol. ALDI requires their cashiers to be over that so it can sell it through the main registers. Whereas Coles and Woolworths are willing to employ younger staff, so they can't sell alcohol through them.

There are legislative requirements around it in NSW. Part of that is that you need to be over 18 to sell alcohol. ALDI requires their cashiers to be over that so it can sell it through the main registers. Whereas Coles and Woolworths are willing to employ younger staff, so they can't sell alcohol through them.

Our closest Aldi only has one cash register that is allowed to sell alcohol (and is presumably staffed by people over 18), all the others can't. Unfortunately it's the first register that most people come to and it is always full of people who aren't buying alcohol. It's very frustrating at times. They have signs up but obviously a lot of people can't read.

Yes, very true about the legislative requirements and the limits that places.

Regardless of the 'why' behind it, I mentioned because visitors from the US are generally used to being able to buy alcohol in a grocery store and can sometimes be surprised when they're wandering the aisles and discover they actually can't. I still find it a culture shock when I'm visiting the US, and I was raised there! :-D

Our closest Aldi only has one cash register that is allowed to sell alcohol (and is presumably staffed by people over 18), all the others can't. Unfortunately it's the first register that most people come to and it is always full of people who aren't buying alcohol. It's very frustrating at times. They have signs up but obviously a lot of people can't read.

Same here, and at times the booze section will be closed off even when the store is open, I guess an "hours" thing.

Well, I've been gone for a few days--allergies and golf have filled my time--but I wanted to come back and thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Off to the Caribbean on Princess next Sunday, then we begin the waiting for our Australia/NZ trip.

Of course, we still have to book airfare. I may be back with questions about that!!

Thank you all

ML

Well, I've been gone for a few days--allergies and golf have filled my time--but I wanted to come back and thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Off to the Caribbean on Princess next Sunday, then we begin the waiting for our Australia/NZ trip.

Of course, we still have to book airfare. I may be back with questions about that!!

Thank you all

ML

Allergies = not good

Golf = good.

I will be useless re the flights but I'm sure some will be able to help. Good luck with snagging a deal.

Allergies = not good

Golf = good.

I will be useless re the flights but I'm sure some will be able to help. Good luck with snagging a deal.

Golf is always good, no matter how badly i may play :)

I may have to use some other resources for flights but I am really thinking of using Air new Zealand out of Houston, straight into Auckland, then flying to Sydney from there. I am attracted by the skycouch seating and the shorter non-stop flying time into Auckland. I know it will cost a little more for skycouch but it is less than business class and the shorter flight time (I think 14.5 hours) would be great!

ML

Golf is always good, no matter how badly i may play :)

I may have to use some other resources for flights but I am really thinking of using Air new Zealand out of Houston, straight into Auckland, then flying to Sydney from there. I am attracted by the skycouch seating and the shorter non-stop flying time into Auckland. I know it will cost a little more for skycouch but it is less than business class and the shorter flight time (I think 14.5 hours) would be great!

ML

Do your homework regarding the skycouch. It is just part of the economy section and the space between the rows of seats is regular economy spacing. Also it is possible to have people sitting in regular economy seats in front of you who then recline their seats thus restricting your space.

Do your homework regarding the skycouch. It is just part of the economy section and the space between the rows of seats is regular economy spacing. Also it is possible to have people sitting in regular economy seats in front of you who then recline their seats thus restricting your space.

Thanks for these tips. I knew it was part of economy but didn't think about the seats in front reclining into us. Neither of us is very tall so we thought these seats might be a good compromise. I will start looking at reviews and check flyer talk.

Thanks for the heads up

ML

PS: Cooking Australian lamb for an early Easter dinner tonight--we will be cruising on Easter. Out on the grill, errr, barbie right now!!

Edited by NoWhiners

The Skycouch did not get a very good review here.

Good to see you have listened to Sam Kekovich

[YOUTUBE]ZtWVJikNnx4[/YOUTUBE]

Then there's the new one this year.

[YOUTUBE]6wboSW0GhIs[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cabansail

The Skycouch did not get a very good review here.

Good to see you have listened to Sam Kekovich

Then there's the new one this year.

Hmm, review seemed bad, comments had some good points. Thanks for this.

Those videos were funny--love the knocks on vegetarians and vegans!! We had boneless leg of lamb, not chops. I hope that still counts :D I guess I'm a tad late for Australia Day this year and early for next!

ML

Since posting that I have actually gone back and looked at all the Lambassador Australia Day ads that Sam Kekovich has made. Above is just the first and last one's.

There has been a lot of outrage from many Vegan groups. I do not mind vegan food but find that some vegans do seem to have a humour deficiency.

If you fancy a very small cruise ship when here drop me a line.

nthnsw (at) hotmail dot com

Thanks for these tips. I knew it was part of economy but didn't think about the seats in front reclining into us. Neither of us is very tall so we thought these seats might be a good compromise. I will start looking at reviews and check flyer talk.

Thanks for the heads up

ML

PS: Cooking Australian lamb for an early Easter dinner tonight--we will be cruising on Easter. Out on the grill, errr, barbie right now!!

Australian lamb?

Do us a favour (note the 'u') and ditch the poor cousins for real NZ lamb.

Since posting that I have actually gone back and looked at all the Lambassador Australia Day ads that Sam Kekovich has made. Above is just the first and last one's.

There has been a lot of outrage from many Vegan groups. I do not mind vegan food but find that some vegans do seem to have a humour deficiency.

If you fancy a very small cruise ship when here drop me a line.

nthnsw (at) hotmail dot com

Funny thing is my wife is a vegan and thinks they are hilarious.

Sam is almost as funny as Trump.

However Sam is just an old football player and not a professional comedian.

Some people have told me that Trump is serious, but they also tried to tell me Dame Edna was a man :rolleyes:

Say, when are you going to Sydney? We have a cruise Feb, 25 and I'm considering staying in the Wyndham Vacation Resort. i was hoping maybe you'll be there before we are and I could find out what you thought of it, good location? Nice enough place?

Hi all

have already gotten some great tips on things to do in Sydney from all of you. Now I have a few more detailed questions about Sydney.

Is free wifi generally available around Sydney. We will be staying in the CBD (Wyndham Vacation Resorts,Corner of Wentworth Avenue and Goulburn Street) if that helps narrow down the area,

I know there will be plenty of places to buy wine, but can anyone give me an approximate cost of a decent Australian/NZ merlot or cab sav? I know tastes vary but so do costs and I am trying to decide how much Australian cash to bring (I'd rather use cash for some purchases).

Are there special metro cards (or equivalent) that we could buy to use trains/buses, maybe ferries, for the week we will be there? In the US, we can buy these that allow unlimited travel for a day or week or whatever.

I will google this, but can anyone provide a link to Sydney train schedules and stations, including a train schedule to go to the Blue Mountains?

Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.

ML

Sam is almost as funny as Trump.

However Sam is just an old football player and not a professional comedian.

Some people have told me that Trump is serious, but they also tried to tell me Dame Edna was a man :rolleyes:

When my baby sister was about 13 she asked me..

If it's Dame Edna

And

sir Les

Why isn't it Sir Barry.

She was totally serious.