Cunard, going all inclusive, all ships, all classes.

japyke

Well, this is certainly news to me and yet it is also not news. Only last week I was informed by Cunard that I couldn't book the Christmas QM2 cruise until it is released for sale in Australia in April. Consequently, I decided to place my end of year booking with Princess which offered an interesting SE Asian itinerary.

Cunard has long treated the Australian market as a cash cow when it comes to pricing WC segments in Australian waters. Granted, they've done an excellent job at marketing as a super luxury line to travellers down under. I'm always amused when our media runs stories on Cunard, often presenting the line as the height of luxury that people should aspire to save up for. While Cunard does offer considerable luxury, it is quite easily within reach of ordinary cruisers - even with the big mark-ups on cruises in local waters during the WC season.

Cunard also tend to give Australian cruisers less access to bookings than US, UK and European cruisers. The number of times I've been told I cannot make a particular booking because the voyage is not being offered to Australians is ridiculous. It all seems rather counterproductive that the fastest growing market for cruising is only allowed booking rights nearly 6 months after the rest of the world - and sometimes not at all.

So I will wait and see whether Australians will get a better deal as suggested by this article. I sure hope so. While releasing booking access at the same time as everyone else is a start, unlocking all cruises so anyone can book would go a long way to saying Australian cruisers are valued.

It's really in their best interest. We have the money to spend and aren't afraid of flying long haul to travel (as evidenced by almost every major airline flying their best planes and products to our major cities - despite our small population). Perhaps Cunard could even look at basing QE or QV in Oceania for a few months come 2018/19. I've no doubt they'd sell out without the need to discount as is often the case with Med cruises (not that I'm complaining there since I've taken advantage of that previously).

"Cunard going all inclusive, all ships, all classes?"

Well, I would prefer to have it confirmed by Cunard.

They experimented with all inclusive in QG last year. In truth, it was a bit of a shambles as they tried to make up the rules as they went along.

Our friends had it on the same trip that we were on. We didn't get it as we had booked earlier but received almost $4,000 OBC instead.

Stewart

Sorry for the slight digression, but the line "...the volume of Australian passengers continues to increase..." just struck me the wrong way. This makes it sound as though Australian passengers are getting fatter, not that there are more of them.

We've booked a crossing in October in Queens Grill that approaches "all-inclusive." It is basically one of Cunard's promotions, buy a space in Princess and get an upgrade plus gratuities and drinks. However when you read the fine print, there are restrictions on what drinks are free (small size, by the glass, limited selection of spirits and cocktails). So not quite the same as all-inclusive on luxury lines. And I am sure we are paying for all of this one way or another, which is probably always the case on any line.

This makes it sound as though Australian passengers are getting fatter, not that there are more of them.

I think there are more of us (just clicked over 24 Million), and I believe we are getting fatter as well. So both interpretations are correct.

Cunard also tend to give Australian cruisers less access to bookings than US, UK and European cruisers. The number of times I've been told I cannot make a particular booking because the voyage is not being offered to Australians is ridiculous. It all seems rather counterproductive that the fastest growing market for cruising is only allowed booking rights nearly 6 months after the rest of the world - and sometimes not at all.

Yes, I had to book my 7 day Med cruise via a UK TA website when it was first released. I was able to choose a good cabin doing that as well. By the time it was released in Australia (a good 8 months later as they initially only allowed the Australians to book the 14 and 21 day Med sectors) cabin selection was much more limited. There didn't seem to be any disadvantage going via a non Cunard website except that you have the currency exposure of pricing in GBP.

We've booked a crossing in October in Queens Grill that approaches "all-inclusive." It is basically one of Cunard's promotions, buy a space in Princess and get an upgrade plus gratuities and drinks. However when you read the fine print, there are restrictions on what drinks are free (small size, by the glass, limited selection of spirits and cocktails). So not quite the same as all-inclusive on luxury lines. And I am sure we are paying for all of this one way or another, which is probably always the case on any line.

By booking onboard I've had gratuities paid by Cunard for the last two Christmas cruises and the upcoming one. There was also enough OBC to cover our spending for the duration.

All inclusive...... Nooooo! I'm far too old and my liver is too fragile to drink my money's worth. If all excursions were included like on some of the smaller premium lines that would be good but I suspect with close to 2000 pax it would break the system .

But I'm with Austcruiser84 - they should put a ship in that part of the world for several months rather than a quick kiss and go at a few ports as part of a world cruise segment. I'd cheerfully do the 24 hours long haul to sail a decent itinerary that was round trip Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
Good Morning all. I Thought this title might get a little attention. But seriously check out the following link:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/australian-volume-has-increased-for-cunard.html

From the linked article:

"Cunard’s 2018 world voyages are being released five months early and will be availabe in Australia at the same time as the UK. Rousham said the launch is planned to coincide with the arrival in Sydney of Queen Mary 2 on March 10."

It is now March 19 and Cunard has not launched their 2018 World Voyages either over the phone or online in Australia.

As a consumer, I dislike dishonest salesmanship. I gave up on Cunard for this year since they've still not got their act together for Christmas on QM2. I'm off with Princess to SE Asia instead. They don't block Australians out of booking and they put their schedule out for everyone at the same time.

Cunard HQ needs to sort itself out. Perhaps they can start by sacking themselves and employing people who can meet deadlines, who value the customer, and who understand changing markets better.

From the linked article:

"Cunard’s 2018 world voyages are being released five months early and will be availabe in Australia at the same time as the UK. Rousham said the launch is planned to coincide with the arrival in Sydney of Queen Mary 2 on March 10."

It is now March 19 and Cunard has not launched their 2018 World Voyages either over the phone or online in Australia.

As a consumer, I dislike dishonest salesmanship. I gave up on Cunard for this year since they've still not got their act together for Christmas on QM2. I'm off with Princess to SE Asia instead. They don't block Australians out of booking and they put their schedule out for everyone at the same time.

Cunard HQ needs to sort itself out. Perhaps they can start by sacking themselves and employing people who can meet deadlines, who value the customer, and who understand changing markets better.

Austcruiser, someone owes you and fellow Australian passengers an apology. I'm sorry for what appears to be unequal treatment. I'd sell my CCL stock in protest, but I already did that a few years ago.

My hope is that Cunard improves booking conditions improve for our fellow passengers in Australia. -S.

Austcruiser, someone owes you and fellow Australian passengers an apology. I'm sorry for what appears to be unequal treatment. I'd sell my CCL stock in protest, but I already did that a few years ago.

My hope is that Cunard improves booking conditions improve for our fellow passengers in Australia. -S.

Hi Salacia,

I'd much rather Cunard HQ get its act together than apologise. It just astounds me how a company that makes a good profit from Australian customers thinks it can continue to treat us as second class citizens.

I want to spend my holiday money with Cunard, but for some bizzare reason they don't seem to want it.

But it's not a new experience. We often get the hand-me-downs and second rate service from international companies. I hope one day that changes - it is to some extent, but the process is happening too slowly for my liking.

Cunard should take a page out of the airlines' play book. For years the big ones have been putting their newest, biggest, and nicest planes on the Australian routes. Given our small population, it amazes me how many A380 flights there are to our cities and how many First and Business seats are on the market. But, given the long distances travelled and our ability to spend in a world still lagging post GFC, it makes sense for them to do so.

Failure to move with the times and the marketplace will leave Cunard out in the cold. I don't want to see that happen, but I fear that by continuing to run the same cruises to the same places year after year and by locking out those with the cash from cruising, Cunard faces an uncertain future.

Edited by Austcruiser84

Yielding a reasonable capital gain I hope. It's certainly been a nice little earner, even without the OBC.

I'll keep mine for now hoping Cunard puts a little pride back into the brand.

David.