Children and Diapers on Getaway (sigh)

mengel246

To those of you who have seen this behavior on any ship, even the few that have "infant only" splash areas (Disney, RCI Freedom and Oasis class) in the "normal" pool areas, you might want to notify a supervisor that you know this is a violation of USPH requirements. That or a note to the Hotel Director stating the same, will usually get their attention, because a report of a knowing violation like this will definitely get a USPH inspection team down to the ship, and that's the last thing they want.

Yeah and just tell them some know it all on a cruise chat board told you so!

I told my 18 month old (who hated being wet, granted, and who was very close to being trained) that he was a big boy, it was a lot of work to to bring diapers on vacation (we rented a cottage), I wasn't going to do it, and the first time he peed his pants or his bed, we would pack up and come home.

Never wore a diaper again.

I agree with the poster who said pull ups are evil.

Cryptosporidium is probably the biggest risk. My son got it when he was five. Doc said it was most likely from a swimming pool (although we had also gone canoeing recently, so the river was a possiblity, too). It was HORRIBLE! He had vomiting and diarrhea for 23 days!!! I would never wish that on anyone. It's so important to follow the no diapers in the pool rule.

With that said, good luck on the potty training. Everyone will offer all kinds of advice, but what works for one, might not work for another. If there was one magic solution, this would be a non issue. The good news is, it does eventually happen. ;) But, it's not always on our time schedule. I swear we're given children just to teach us patience. Ha!

While we're talking about diapers, are they available on the ship? I know you can pre-order them, but I wasn't sure if they have some for purchase on board. We're driving to the port do we'll be bringing (hopefully) plenty, but I'm curious in case of emergency.

Also, should we bring our diaper bin, or will something similar be provided? How did you dispose of your used ones?

We became friends with a family that had a young daughter in diapers on the Breakaway 14 day cruise. They brought regular diapers and swim diapers with them, but they ran out of swim diapers. They were able to buy more on the ship, but by day 12 even the ship was out of swim diapers.

I would plan on packing more diapers than you think you will need, maybe buy a big box of them and check the box with your luggage like some people do with water and soda.

I am not sure how they disposed of the diapers, but they did not bring a bin. I think the room steward will provide you with bags to put them in. Or you can bring your own small scented diaper disposal bags. Munchkin makes a really cute diaper duck that holds the bags. I think I got mine at toys r us or target. Really inexpensive, maybe $3 for the holder and 36 bags and around $8 for a 3 pack of refills.

We became friends with a family that had a young daughter in diapers on the Breakaway 14 day cruise. They brought regular diapers and swim diapers with them, but they ran out of swim diapers. They were able to buy more on the ship, but by day 12 even the ship was out of swim diapers.

I would plan on packing more diapers than you think you will need, maybe buy a big box of them and check the box with your luggage like some people do with water and soda.

I am not sure how they disposed of the diapers, but they did not bring a bin. I think the room steward will provide you with bags to put them in. Or you can bring your own small scented diaper disposal bags. Munchkin makes a really cute diaper duck that holds the bags. I think I got mine at toys r us or target. Really inexpensive, maybe $3 for the holder and 36 bags and around $8 for a 3 pack of refills.

And the swim diapers were for?

we will have a 13 month old on this cruise and will not let him in the baby area. however, we will put a swim diapers for when we go to the beach

that being said

has anyone every thought about the older population with incontinence problems who may or may not go into the adult pools and hot tubs.

or even us women who after having kids have some bladder leakage when we laugh, sneeze or cough.

just a funny thought

And the swim diapers were for?

I believe they are for swimming....but not for on the ship. :D

Which may be why on day 12 of the cruise they said they were sold out of them. There were no more port stops on Day 12, 13, and 14.

we will have a 13 month old on this cruise and will not let him in the baby area. however, we will put a swim diapers for when we go to the beach

that being said

has anyone every thought about the older population with incontinence problems who may or may not go into the adult pools and hot tubs.

or even us women who after having kids have some bladder leakage when we laugh, sneeze or cough.

just a funny thought

They actually sell adult diapers on the ship too. We went to the medical center one afternoon and we saw them for sale there.

that being said

just a funny thought

Uh, I do not recall seeing folks of that age in the pool. My 81 year old mom has given it up. Mostly due to balance issues. In and out.

My oh my. My aft ph balcony and a squirt bottle looks like a winner.

that being said

just a funny thought

Poop is the health issue - swim diapers don't prevent urine entering the pool.

As I am someone who had 3 children get very sick on a land based vacation due to a contaminated hotel pool, thank you for following the rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original poster here..

The boy has done an amazing job in the last week and will definitely be potty trained by the time we sail so we'll be good to go for sure!

Thanks for all the help and feedback and words

Original poster here..

The boy has done an amazing job in the last week and will definitely be potty trained by the time we sail so we'll be good to go for sure!

Our sone refused to potty train till just turned 3, but once he co-operated it only took a week and he never had accidents . Being that bit older he had better control!!

Please let us know when you will be sailing?? May want to change my reservation. GROSS

I'm not sure that you changing your reservation to avoid me specifically is going to solve your problem. Humanity in general is your issue; I suggest you stay away from cruising if you're afraid of coming into contact with it.

Original poster here..

Great news! Glad this is working out!

Carrie

We went on Disney and they had to close down the pool at least 3 times that we knew of to clean poop out of the pool from kids that were obviously way too young to be in there. If they saw swim diapers on there you were asked to leave the pool so parents just let their kids go in there.

It really ruined it for the rest of the people. But the little ones were allowed in the splash area in swim diapers. Not sure if that is the same for NCL.

We went on Disney and they had to close down the pool at least 3 times that we knew of to clean poop out of the pool from kids that were obviously way too young to be in there. If they saw swim diapers on there you were asked to leave the pool so parents just let their kids go in there.

It really ruined it for the rest of the people. But the little ones were allowed in the splash area in swim diapers. Not sure if that is the same for NCL.

As I've posted, the only ships with splash areas for children in diapers are Disney, and the RCI Freedom and Oasis class ships. None at NCL.