Children and Diapers on Getaway (sigh)

mengel246

I'm the opposite and want no effort or stress in "training". They will all (barring any disabilities) do it eventually. My older son would not even look at the potty seat I had sitting in the bathroom from the time he was 18 months old or acknowledge it in any way. It was not a battle I wanted to fight. I encouraged it once in a while and that was it. Right before he was 4 he decided to use the toilet and was in underwear from then on and only once wet his pants when he was sick and had a fever. My younger boy will go through spurts of wanting to use the potty to pee and spurts where he doesn't. After my 1 day attempting to actually "train" him, I decided to heck with it. When he wants it, he will do it himself. Diapers really don't bother me at all.

My friend took this approach, until she realized her do was going to miss an entire year of preschool, when he turned 4 in August, and still had interest in potty training. By then it was too late.

It took me about 5 months to train 3 year olds, 5 days for the 2 year olds. Our preschool didn't do diapers.

There is a splash area just for toddlers...he can still get wet and have fun

Yes, there is a splash area. No, it is not for those who are not potty-trained. As I've said, there are only 9 ships in the world that have water facilities for infants in diapers. They are the 4 Disney Cruise Line ships, the 3 RCI Freedom class ships, and the 2 RCI Oasis class ships. You will note that the even newer Quantum class ship at RCI does not have one, so RCI may be re-thinking the cost/benefit ratio of having one.

I'm the opposite and want no effort or stress in "training". They will all (barring any disabilities) do it eventually. My older son would not even look at the potty seat I had sitting in the bathroom from the time he was 18 months old or acknowledge it in any way. It was not a battle I wanted to fight. I encouraged it once in a while and that was it. Right before he was 4 he decided to use the toilet and was in underwear from then on and only once wet his pants when he was sick and had a fever. My younger boy will go through spurts of wanting to use the potty to pee and spurts where he doesn't. After my 1 day attempting to actually "train" him, I decided to heck with it. When he wants it, he will do it himself. Diapers really don't bother me at all.

Well, I think this is a problem today. It does require work to get those kids out of diapers. However work that pays off for everyone.

Well, I think this is a problem today. It does require work to get those kids out of diapers. However work that pays off for everyone.

Why exactly is it a problem? It does not have to require work, unless the parent wants it to. That's an individual parenting choice and what you do with your children in that regard has no bearing on my life or my children.

And how does my kid not being in diapers pay off for other people? His father and I are the ones who change him. It has absolutely no effect on anyone else.

Why exactly is it a problem? It does not have to require work, unless the parent wants it to. That's an individual parenting choice and what you do with your children in that regard has no bearing on my life or my children.

And how does my kid not being in diapers pay off for other people? His father and I are the ones who change him. It has absolutely no effect on anyone else.

Not going to argue with you, but frankly I don't think it is fair to the children, 4 and in diapers..my kids are grown, but as someone said school is an issue. It takes a little work, and some people today don't want to be bothered.

Yes, there is a splash area. No, it is not for those who are not potty-trained. As I've said, there are only 9 ships in the world that have water facilities for infants in diapers. They are the 4 Disney Cruise Line ships, the 3 RCI Freedom class ships, and the 2 RCI Oasis class ships. You will note that the even newer Quantum class ship at RCI does not have one, so RCI may be re-thinking the cost/benefit ratio of having one.

That's too bad...my daughter loved the splash area on our Disney Cruise...she still wanted to go in the pool, but was placated by the fun sprinklers.

Don't feel bad...most people don't know how to use it....even professionals (LINK). :p

Holy guacamole. That's some really bad Photoshop. LOL

But I am still confused as to what looked Photoshopped about my picture. It was a baby in a full regular diaper standing next to the divider wall. Sheesh.

Anyone who thinks that banning babies from pools will solve the problem of contaminated water is deluding themselves. Fecal matter is commonly found in swimming pools - public or private. The CDC put out a press release on it a few years ago:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0516-pool-contamination.html

The best prevention is to shower thoroughly before getting in the pool. Now think about it - how often do you actually ever see someone (adult or child) taking a thorough shower before getting in the pool? Most people jump right in. If they've recently had a bowel movement (which, let's face it, most everyone does at least once a day), and if they haven't cleaned every last bit off, it's going to end up in the pool if they go swimming.

Overall, whether a diaper-clad kid gets in the pool or not is not the main concern. If you're so completely paranoid about contaminated water, then don't go into swimming pools anywhere. The rest of us who realize that our immune systems are built to ward off such potential 'threats' will enjoy the extra room in the pool.

Anyone who thinks that banning babies from pools will solve the problem of contaminated water is deluding themselves. Fecal matter is commonly found in swimming pools - public or private. The CDC put out a press release on it a few years ago:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0516-pool-contamination.html

The best prevention is to shower thoroughly before getting in the pool. Now think about it - how often do you actually ever see someone (adult or child) taking a thorough shower before getting in the pool? Most people jump right in. If they've recently had a bowel movement (which, let's face it, most everyone does at least once a day), and if they haven't cleaned every last bit off, it's going to end up in the pool if they go swimming.

Overall, whether a diaper-clad kid gets in the pool or not is not the main concern. If you're so completely paranoid about contaminated water, then don't go into swimming pools anywhere. The rest of us who realize that our immune systems are built to ward off such potential 'threats' will enjoy the extra room in the pool.

Ever wonder why there are showers near the pools on ships? This is the reason, as well as removing the oily sunscreen that everyone puts on. While I know there will be howls about not having sunscreen on while in the pool, the oil creates a film on the water surface that interferes with the chlorine's ability to sanitize the water.

Note also from the CDC website, that the ship's pools, which must maintain 2-4ppm chlorine is higher than recommended for shore pools, and because the ship's pools use continuous monitoring and dosing, the chlorine levels are much more consistent, reacting real time to changes in bather loads.

But the real difference between the adult/child pool and the "infant only" or diaper pool is the Ultra Violet sterilizer, because the assumed urine load will be greater in the diaper pool, and this is a secondary means of sanitizing over and above the chlorine.

And it is the USPH, a division of the CDC, that has decided that there is sufficient additional danger of contamination to require children in diapers to have a separate water facility.

Edited by chengkp75

Anyone who thinks that banning babies from pools will solve the problem of contaminated water is deluding themselves. Fecal matter is commonly found in swimming pools - public or private.

It doesn't make a difference. It's disgusting. Nobody wants a babysh\t teabag drooping and dripping all over the pool and deck. It's gross, period. An uncontrolled crap factory letting floaters loose in the pool is very different than an adult who took a dump and wiped earlier in the day. CDC be damned; I don't care.

It's gross.

It doesn't make a difference. It's disgusting. Nobody wants a babysh\t teabag drooping and dripping all over the pool and deck. It's gross, period. An uncontrolled crap factory letting floaters loose in the pool is very different than an adult who took a dump and wiped earlier in the day. CDC be damned; I don't care.

It's gross.

O M G, dying again!:D

Carrie

What about taking a small blow up pool for your child? I have seen this several times on our past cruises. You will then not have to stress if he is not potty trained and you will be free from worry on the cruise about any "accidents" that may jeopardize fellow passengers' enjoyment of the pools. I do not know how they filled them up, but it seemed to keep the little ones using them happy and content.

It is certainly no fun when the pools are closed down due to a sanitation issue, but it is not always the little ones that provide the "Baby Ruth". We were on the Epic a few years back and a young man defecated in the Haven pool, not once, but twice. On our 7 day cruise, the pool was closed on 2 different days for sanitation.

Good luck and have a great time on your cruise!

Ever wonder why there are showers near the pools on ships? This is the reason, as well as removing the oily sunscreen that everyone puts on. While I know there will be howls about not having sunscreen on while in the pool, the oil creates a film on the water surface that interferes with the chlorine's ability to sanitize the water.

Just for one second - I want you to envision what kind of shower a person would have to take - poolside - in order to clean off their backside.

... okay? Not gonna happen.

As a general rule, "There's about a tenth of a gram of poop in the average pair of underwear."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/personal-hygiene-facts_n_4217839.html

Point being - it's there, and whether it comes from a diaper or an adult, it's in the water. The only way to avoid it is to stay out of the pools altogether (and to never use a washing machine, apparently, hah).

As a general rule, "There's about a tenth of a gram of poop in the average pair of underwear."

Point being - it's there, and whether it comes from a diaper or an adult, it's in the water. The only way to avoid it is to stay out of the pools altogether (and to never use a washing machine, apparently, hah).

I am guessing there is also about a tenth of a gram on people's hands as well. That of course is quickly transferred to handrails, elevator buttons, menus, serving tongs and spoons etc.

You people are filthy.

My DD4 takes swim lessons. Early on, we were in a group mommy and me class, and a little girl - maybe 2 - was in it with us. No swim diaper on during class. I was all impressed that she was potty trained so early, and I said so. The mom just smiled at me and led her kid out of the pool (beach entry). And she left behind a trail of... Well, poop nuggets.

I told the mom and she turned around and said," oh, I know! Swimming always helps her when she's constipated".

Me: *jawdrop*

I told the lifeguard staff and they had to close and shock the pool. Needless to say, we do private swim lessons now...

While we're talking about diapers, are they available on the ship? I know you can pre-order them, but I wasn't sure if they have some for purchase on board. We're driving to the port do we'll be bringing (hopefully) plenty, but I'm curious in case of emergency.

Also, should we bring our diaper bin, or will something similar be provided? How did you dispose of your used ones?

Just for one second - I want you to envision what kind of shower a person would have to take - poolside - in order to clean off their backside.

... okay? Not gonna happen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/personal-hygiene-facts_n_4217839.html

And the CDC believes that the continuous monitoring and dosing of chlorine, as done on ships, rather than the periodic testing and dosing done in most pools, is sufficient to sanitize whatever someone brings into the water. You'll note in the link you posted that they recommend you check the pool's chlorine before getting in? That's because the chlorine will take care of any "residual" that washes off somebody. Remember, just because the CDC studied public pools ashore, doesn't mean they have any kind of control or regulatory function over them, unlike the cruise ship pools through their division, the USPH. On the ships, they can use what they've learned from studying other pools (to get a statistically sufficient sample size) to come up with best practices for pools that they can control.