Formal Night

Just a general question. After reading the Eligant Night dress code from Carnival, how many men actually go through all the trouble and actually wear a Tuxedo?

on my last 3 cruises, I remember seeing one person in a tux, so not many

Tuxedo, not for me. I do however bring slacks and a sport coat, no tie. We enjoy dressing up a little for the formal nights. It also makes for some good pictures of the 2 of us for mementos. Carnival is pretty relaxed in the MDR every night, formal night just gives us the excuse we need to play it up 1 or 2 nights per trip. ;)

Last time I really dressed up was in '09. Very formal evening gown. I got stopped by so many people that told me I should get a best dressed prize. Even the dining room staff. Laughable picture, however. I KNOW, I have to dress my husband, but for some reason I was ready 1st and left and we were to meet at MDR. He wore the wrong pants with his tux jacket. Colors way off. Khaki pants, tux jacket!!??!! Would have been okay if I had not been dressed so formal. I am not comfortable now with a backless dress. Too old. I stick to dressy tops with evening pants or long sundress with light wrap across shoulders. Wouldn't you know it, now HE dresses up! Next cruise I am not even going to pack his suit jacket. Just nice shirt and pants. Believe me, you will see one extreme to the other. Who really cares? Just wear what is comfortable for you. :)

Just a general question. After reading the Eligant Night dress code from Carnival, how many men actually go through all the trouble and actually wear a Tuxedo?

Used to bring a nice suit for elegant night. For years. I don't anymore. I'm on vacation...... Bill.

We rent a tux through a third party company that delivers it on board, so we don't have to transport it. My DDs love to see Daddy dressed up as "James Bond" and we all get glammed up for elegant night. I saw plenty of tuxes and sparkly dresses throughout my cruises with Carnival. I think it's "whatever floats your boat" (sorry for the pun) but don't feel like you have to dress down either if you want to dress up.

Have a great cruise!

Suit and tie here. Or sometimes suit without tie, 2-3 buttons on the shirt unbuttoned. It's a good look :)

But it's Carnival.. Trust me, you could go to the MDR wearing cargo shorts and a Tapout t-shirt and fit in lol.

Edited by hpman247

Some men are wearing tuxes, but not a whole lot. But more and more tuxes these days are using the long tie instead of the clown-like bow-tie. Because of the long tie, many people think it's a suit and not a tux, when in fact, it really is a tux. It's interesting to note that suits are considered to be more formal than a tux. Most people think it's the other way around, but it's not. Tuxes are considered a more casual form of dressing up. For me, I don't wear either. It's such a pain to pack. But you will likely see several tuxes & suits. Whatever you choose, you won't be the only one.

Edited by k2excursion

We recently had a garage sale where my brother-in-law, a life long cruiser, put all his tuxes out...and they sold to young kids who wear the jackets with their shorts and tees as "statement" dressing, or so they said. Needless to say after the sale and on our next family cruise, my brother in law joined the rest of us sans any jacket on elegant night.

Life has gotten pretty casual for us and we no longer feel compelled to dress-up while on vacation. Gone are our cocktail dresses, tuxes, and suits and even ties aren't packed anymore. The guys do wear slacks paired with silk "bahama" shirts instead of a golf shirt on elegant nights but that is as dressy as they get...even on lines other than Carnival, and they never seem to feel out of place.

Very few even wore them on formal nights, as they were never required.

But they were always head turners.

So if you want heads turned in your direction, break out that tux. Otherwise, just blend in with the crowd.

Some men are wearing tuxes, but not a whole lot. But more and more tuxes these days are using the long tie instead of the clown-like bow-tie. Because of the long tie, many people think it's a suit and not a tux, when in fact, it really is a tux. It's interesting to note that suits are considered to be more formal than a tux. Most people think it's the other way around, but it's not. Tuxes are considered a more casual form of dressing up. For me, I don't wear either. It's such a pain to pack. But you will likely see several tuxes & suits. Whatever you choose, you won't be the only one.

That's an interesting observation. I watched the Oscars and a large majority wore tuxes. With "clown-like bow-tie" (that's a funny description) which I guess means that the Oscars are a more casual event than other award shows. I guess weddings are also a casual event since grooms predominately wear tuxes, along with the rest of the male part of the bridal party.

Where do you get your facts to back up your statements?

Edited by momonthego17

Very few even wore them on formal nights, as they were never required.

But they were always head turners.

So if you want heads turned in your direction, break out that tux. Otherwise, just blend in with the crowd.

I'll just stick with my Speedo. It turns enough heads as it is. Thanks :cool:

For those that haven't seen it, I have done multiple searches for the infamous "chain mail" dress. Can't find it. Every couple of years, when elegant night threads are up, someone posts it. If any of you know how to find it, it's worth seeing again. Every link I brought up, shows the pic link "closed".

Basically there is NO SUCH THING. My husband has been wearing nice dress pants and a long sleeved button down shirt. Last week on the Glory there were men in shorts and tank tops on "elegant night". There were lots of jeans and golf shirts too. Women were also dressed about the same. Some in short shorts and tanks and other in dresses.

I give up trying to follow the rules.

Basically there is NO SUCH THING. My husband has been wearing nice dress pants and a long sleeved button down shirt. Last week on the Glory there were men in shorts and tank tops on "elegant night". There were lots of jeans and golf shirts too. Women were also dressed about the same. Some in short shorts and tanks and other in dresses.

I give up trying to follow the rules.

This is really so disappointing! My oldest wanted an excuse to break out his tux and my dh was planning on packing a suit and tie, while my youngest is a bow-tie fan. We are all going to look like a bunch of out-of-place fools on formal night...maybe we need to rethink our formal night wardrobe. What a letdown!

This is really so disappointing! My oldest wanted an excuse to break out his tux and my dh was planning on packing a suit and tie, while my youngest is a bow-tie fan. We are all going to look like a bunch of out-of-place fools on formal night...maybe we need to rethink our formal night wardrobe. What a letdown!

You will NOT look like fools! Wear what you want. The last time I really dressed formal, I felt like a million bucks! And received many compliments. Believe me, I would still do it, but, my vanity can't get over, that I am now a skinny, wrinkled up, old bag, and don't want a picture to remind myself of that fact!:eek: