Internet package on the Sun - possible to use on two different devices?

TrumpyNor

We have a cruise coming up on the Norwegian Sun next month, and I am just wondering if it is possible to use one on board internet package on two different devices as long as we log in on different times? I know that you can do this on the new "mega-ships" where you can purchase an unlimited internet package and "share" it, but is it also possible to do on the "older" ships like the Sun, where they only sell the "old" packages of 100 min. or 250 min.?

I have never purchased an NCL internet package on board before, as I find it very expensive and I never really needed it - I was perfectly happy with just using free wifi when in different ports. But this time we will be away for almost 4 weeks in total, and we will both need secure access to internet on our smartphones at least a couple of times during the cruise.

I have heard many stating that the quality of the on board internet is often very unstable - so I am wondering if it is usually better to go online when the ship is close to shore or actually in port?

Edited by TrumpyNor

We have always used the internet package on multiple devices on every cruise we have done in the past few years, from the Spirit to the Escape.

I thought the unlimited internet was available on all ships, by the way. We got it on the Spirit last year.

Edited by KeithJenner

We have a cruise coming up on the Norwegian Sun next month, and I am just wondering if it is possible to use one on board internet package on two different devices as long as we log in on different times? I know that you can do this on the new "mega-ships" where you can purchase an unlimited internet package and "share" it, but is it also possible to do on the "older" ships like the Sun, where they only sell the "old" packages of 100 min. or 250 min.? Have just checked my "My NCL" and it is available:-

Internet - Unlimited | Save $3.95 Activation Fee when you book online.

Pay one price and be connected throughout the cruise.

Price C913.61

But note the price!!!!!!!!!!

1 package;; any number of devices; 1 at a time.

I have never purchased an NCL internet package on board before, as I find it very expensive and I never really needed it - I was perfectly happy with just using free wifi when in different ports. But this time we will be away for almost 4 weeks in total, and we will both need secure access to internet on our smartphones at least a couple of times during the cruise.

But is NCL any more secure than using an onshore coffee house such as Starbucks? If you are high in a hotel "Rewards" how about going ashore and seeing if there is a preferred hotel nearby and see if they will let you login on their system. (Explain the "urgency" and beg!!)

I have heard many stating that the quality of the on board internet is often very unstable - so I am wondering if it is usually better to go online when the ship is close to shore or actually in port?

As it goes via satellite it shouldn't matter where you are. That is why it is slow and costly; not a lot of bandwidth for the ship.

HTH

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

As it goes via satellite it shouldn't matter where you are. That is why it is slow and costly; not a lot of bandwidth for the ship.

HTH

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

Hi Mike.

I just checked on MyNCL, and the unlimited package cost USD 499,80. The 100 min. package cost USD 75.00 so that is probably what we will go for (as Platinum I will then get 15 min extra time).

And yes, I am pretty certain that NCL is more secure than any "free wifi" ashore, where everybody would use the same password to log on.... And no, don't have any special "relationship" with any particular hotel chain, etc.

Unlimited internet was available on the Sun. We sailed on Jan. 30th. The unlimited cost was too high for me as I only needed to check email once a day. I purchased the 250 minutes and received 30 minutes extra for being platinum. The internet manager has to add those minutes for you once you have bought the package. You could always buy the 100 minute package if needed later in the cruise.

As others have noted, you can use multiple devices, but only one at a time. Wifi signal strength is stronger in some parts of the ship than others. I noticed most people were connecting with their phones in the internet café or atrium. I didn't try from my stateroom and just used the ship's pc's as I find it easier and quicker than my iphone.

My understanding is that in addition to the satellite technology causing slow response times, the number of people on the intranet/wifi is also a factor. It seemed faster at night to me than during the day on sea days.

Have a great trip.

I hereby thank all of you for your replies. I understand that in my initial post it seems like I was interested in the "unlimited" internet package - that is not the case, I want to purchase the shortest time plan as I don't need anything more than that (100 + 15 min.). I just used the unlimited internet package just as an example, as I had read that at least on the newer ships that was the type of internet package that could be used on multiple devices. And I was wondering if that was the case also on the limited time plans and on the older ships.

You have all helped me in understanding how this works, and I don't need to worry about having to purchase two time plans (one for each of us), so thank you! CC is a great source of information, even on the "small" things regarding cruises!

In the past I have just used one of the computers in the internet cafe on board and the "pay-as-you-go" plan on the last day of the cruise, since it has only been for checking in to flights for the next day. But this time I already know that I will need more minutes and that it will be cheaper and more convenient to just purchase a 100 min. time plan.

Edited by TrumpyNor

I know that you can do this on the new "mega-ships" where you can purchase an unlimited internet package and "share" it, but is it also possible to do on the "older" ships like the Sun, where they only sell the "old" packages of 100 min. or 250 min.?

Just for future reference if newbies read this thread: Breakaway is the only ship in the fleet that has capacity based billing instead of time based because of the upgraded, next generation satellite hardware they are testing, other megaships are exactly the same internet wise as the rest of the fleet (Sun included).