Do they keep the Lido open late for late shore excursions?

canadarocks

When HAL is one of the two or three ships/cruise lines on our short list the limited dining choices and limited dining hours, most especially the Lido hours and the oftentime restrictions on anytime dining (it seems as long as it is HAL's hours), serve to reduce the attractiveness of HAL to us.

I know we can get room service but this is by far our last choice.

It doesn't throw anything off. We had a table behind us in late fixed that was used for open dining every night.

What? I'm speaking of when they add people to tables that are part of traditional. I've had it happen and that's why I request not to be added to traditional. Also, I've been brought up long after traditional has started so that does throw them off because a table is in a different spot. While it may not bother some to add work to the dining steward, I don't want to do it. I guess they must have been overrun in open if they were bringing people up to late traditional. Another reason not to crash it.

Edited by cruz chic

What? I'm speaking of when they add people to tables that are part of traditional. I've had it happen and that's why I request not to be added to traditional. Also, I've been brought up long after traditional has started so that does throw them off because a table is in a different spot. While it may not bother some to add work to the dining steward, I don't want to do it. I guess they must have been overrun in open if they were bringing people up to late traditional. Another reason not to crash it.

We always do open dining but on more than one cruise we were repeatedly walked upstairs to traditional. The open dining was pretty much empty, not sure why they were taking us upstairs. We noticed the head waiters/ maitre d types fussed over the traditional diners but ignored us. After a few nights we declined to go up there.

I think the bigger problem is HAL not keeping the Lido open longer at lunch, they close it at 2pm. Many people are just returning from port mid day and would like a good lunch. This policy has irritated us as we are not interested in burgers, pizza, etc.

We always do open dining but on more than one cruise we were repeatedly walked upstairs to traditional. The open dining was pretty much empty, not sure why they were taking us upstairs. We noticed the head waiters/ maitre d types fussed over the traditional diners but ignored us. After a few nights we declined to go up there.

I think the bigger problem is HAL not keeping the Lido open longer at lunch, they close it at 2pm. Many people are just returning from port mid day and would like a good lunch. This policy has irritated us as we are not interested in burgers, pizza, etc.

It would be nice if they kept the lido open longer since they don't seem to have the MDR open for lunch at all on port days. I'm not interested in burgers or pizza either.

A slightly later closing time for the full Lido Lunch is an idea with which I agree. It would be nice to be able to avail oneself of the Asian Station or some of the lunch features once in awhile rather than depending upon the Deli Sandwich maker, Dive-in, or Pizza.

Don't know if this is available on all of the ships, but the Prinsendam had the Soup of the Day available off-hours.

And after asking about the arrangements if they aren't to your satisfaction, consider eating ashore. Since it's an overnight, you can come back to the ship as late as you'd like.

I'll second this. There are so many good restaurants in Istanbul, and Turkish food is among my very favorites. :)

Just stay in town at the end of your tour and find somewhere that looks good (there are a number of great restaurants in the area just downhill from the Blue Mosque).

And after asking about the arrangements if they aren't to your satisfaction, consider eating ashore. Since it's an overnight, you can come back to the ship as late as you'd like.

Just stay in town at the end of your tour and find somewhere that looks good (there are a number of great restaurants in the area just downhill from the Blue Mosque).

We have a full day private tour booked the following day that starts at 7:45am. So the plan is to eat dinner asap and get a good night's rest. Otherwise I'm sure an evening in Istanbul would be an excellent option.