Uncovered balcony cabins on Royal

kiwi_sparkles

Apologies all, I have been trawling this forum all morning (I'm usually over on Celebrity as I've not sailed Princes...yet) trying to find cabin info. Admittedly I'm using tapatalk which makes things trickier when searching!

Can anyone point me to how I can find what balconies are covered vs uncovered? I believe many of the aft cabins are uncovered, or partially uncovered, but think I also saw somewhere that there's often a terrible smell which stops people from using them!! [emoji15]

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you [emoji4]

The Royal is one of the new configurations so unlike the other Princess ships where most dolphin deck cabins are completely exposed, they are covered on the Royal and Regal. You are right that most aft cabins have little to no shelter, but the issue on the Royal is occasional soot, not smell. The mid-ship locations offer the largest balconies. I hope you enjoy your experience on the Royal - we sailed her last year and thought she was a lovely ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies all, I have been trawling this forum all morning (I'm usually over on Celebrity as I've not sailed Princes...yet) trying to find cabin info. Admittedly I'm using tapatalk which makes things trickier when searching!

Can anyone point me to how I can find what balconies are covered vs uncovered? I believe many of the aft cabins are uncovered, or partially uncovered, but think I also saw somewhere that there's often a terrible smell which stops people from using them!! [emoji15]

I have heard about aft smells (due to large vents next to aft balconies) on the Grand class ships such as the Ruby/Emerald/Crown/Caribbean/Golden /Star/Grand etc but have not heard of them on the Royal/Regal.

We have sailed on Royal many times (Diamond +) We have experienced soot a few times, but not too often. It is worth the gamble. Instead of a standard size balcony, you have a "patio" with enough room for two regular chairs and two loungers. Our favorite cabins are in the aft facing the ocean. They tend to be quieter (no foot traffic) also. Have not done Oasis class, but have been on all of the others. If you post questions on Royal's area, people will help you pick out a nice aft cabin.

We have sailed on Royal many times (Diamond +) We have experienced soot a few times, but not too often. It is worth the gamble. Instead of a standard size balcony, you have a "patio" with enough room for two regular chairs and two loungers. Our favorite cabins are in the aft facing the ocean. They tend to be quieter (no foot traffic) also. Have not done Oasis class, but have been on all of the others. If you post questions on Royal's area, people will help you pick out a nice aft cabin.

I'm pretty sure OP is asking about the Royal Princess.

OP - Regarding the smell on some balconies - we had issues on 2 days in an Owners Suite (on Dolphin deck) during a December 2013 cruise but I haven't seen any comments on it recently so hopefully the problem was fixed.

Edited by capriccio

I'm pretty sure OP is asking about the Royal Princess.

OP - Regarding the smell on some balconies - we had issues on 2 days in an Owners Suite (on Dolphin deck) during a December 2013 cruise but I haven't seen any comments on it recently so hopefully the problem was fixed.

Thanks, yes I was talking about Royal Princess.

Hopefully the smell was just a one off in that case!

Thanks, yes I was talking about Royal Princess.

Hopefully the smell was just a one off in that case!

We have sailed on the Royal twice and the Regal once (with an upcoming cruise booked on the Regal). Our first sailing on the Royal we were VERY excited to have an aft Riviera Deck Deluxe Balcony cabin with a HUGE uncovered balcony. It was very sunny and would have been wonderful ... except for the soot and diesel exhaust smell that made the balcony completely unusable whenever we were under way. I have heard things are a little better on the Regal, but I do know that some people still complain about these issues.

That said, we love many features of these ships, and find some wonderful larger balcony cabins on the sides of the ship near the "points" under the SeaWalk and SeaView Bar. They are not as nice as the large Caribe Deck (1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered) and Dolphin Deck (fully uncovered) balconies on Princess' older Grand Class ships, but still nice and do get some sun if you're on one of the lower decks (Emerald, Dolphin or Caribe). If you look at the deck plans, you can pretty easily identify the cabins with the larger balconies.

I hope you find that helpful. Happy cruising! :)

Aft D728/729/730/731 are some of the biggest balconies on the Royal and are wonderfully private and almost fully covered....there is at least 12+ feet of balcony and also you get a couch in the room....we love them....probably should not have shared this information and let people believe there is a big soot and smell problem still....;)