Which cabins do they prefer to be empty?

beason641

I would hope they would not automatically upgrade someone without their permission. I've got a 1A on the hump that I would be very angry about if they took it from me and gave me a AQ or C2 cabin with a smaller balcony.

It's been a while since this happened, but in 2011 we got upgraded from a C1 to a Sky Suite. Almost.

Because we knew this might happen, we had our booking flagged as "NO UPGRADES", but they missed it. We really wanted that aft C1. I caught it quickly (there was no notification), called my TA and she got it straightened out before our beloved C1 went into inventory and got assigned to someone else. I don't know what they would have done for us in compensation, since it was properly flagged not to upgrade.

As far as I know, you must still have a "No Upgrades" flag, else the Upgrade Fairy might strike, even when you don't want her to. You can make it conditional, such as "No Upgrades to A1, A2, S1 or S2" if you'd trade for a CS, RS or (gasp) PS.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

Sorry, but I disagree. I've known people moved to lesser cabins, although the preference would always be to move them to equal or better.

You really think someone who has a problem with their cabin would agree to be moved from say a veranda to an inside and not be compensated? Really?

We were on the Century and they had a plumbing issue that effected some 6 cabins. We were all in Sky Suites. We needed to move out for two nights. They moved our stuff to a balcony cabin - others had various categories - and we were given our choice of an upgrade to a suite from Concierge we had booked in the future or 1/2 off our cruise.

Of course if there is nothing else available, but that was not what this thread was about. And if that happened there would be compensation in OBC, restaurants, refunds or whatever.

You really think someone who has a problem with their cabin would agree to be moved from say a veranda to an inside and not be compensated? Really?

We were on the Century and they had a plumbing issue that effected some 6 cabins. We were all in Sky Suites. We needed to move out for two nights. They moved our stuff to a balcony cabin - others had various categories - and we were given our choice of an upgrade to a suite from Concierge we had booked in the future or 1/2 off our cruise.

Of course if there is nothing else available, but that was not what this thread was about. And if that happened there would be compensation in OBC, restaurants, refunds or whatever.

If you'd read my posts a bit more carefully, you'd see that I never discussed the issue of compensation. I addressed solely the issue of cabin availability.

Celebrity's Captain's Club has added a feature that offers upsell opportunities--at rates purported to be below market--based upon loyalty... There have been a few recent posts here that suggest the practice is now in operation...

No one really knows what 'based upon loyalty' really means. I would hope that they would first look to Zeniths, then Elite Plus and so on. Being the latter, maybe I would have a chance:). Previous to this announcement almost all true upgrades (ie, not just a better category on a GTY booking) tended to happen to customers brand new to the line. I would like to think they would instead reward loyalty, but call me cynical - I will believe it when I see it.

If you're Zenith or Elite Plus, what are the odds you'll stop cruising with Celebrity because you found out a newcomer to X got a free upgrade and you didn't? On the other hand, if you got a free upgrade on your very first cruise, especially if you've never cruised at all before, how likely will you will be impressed enough with Celebrity's largesse that you'll book another one?

If you're Zenith or Elite Plus, what are the odds you'll stop cruising with Celebrity because you found out a newcomer to X got a free upgrade and you didn't? On the other hand, if you got a free upgrade on your very first cruise, especially if you've never cruised at all before, how likely will you will be impressed enough with Celebrity's largesse that you'll book another one?

There are also some Captain's Club members that if they tried the suite life through an upgrade, may book suites in the future. So you can look at it both ways ;).

With the analogies here, it would pay to vary lines as there's more chance of getting an upgrade if you are new to the line - better start looking at HAL then :D.

It's been a while since this happened, but in 2011 we got upgraded from a C1 to a Sky Suite. Almost.

Because we knew this might happen, we had our booking flagged as "NO UPGRADES", but they missed it. We really wanted that aft C1. I caught it quickly (there was no notification), called my TA and she got it straightened out before our beloved C1 went into inventory and got assigned to someone else. I don't know what they would have done for us in compensation, since it was properly flagged not to upgrade.

As far as I know, you must still have a "No Upgrades" flag, else the Upgrade Fairy might strike, even when you don't want her to. You can make it conditional, such as "No Upgrades to A1, A2, S1 or S2" if you'd trade for a CS, RS or (gasp) PS.

This is what I am afraid of, that they would do that even after I have completed the online check in process. I'll have it marked no upgrades to be sure.

Our last cruise we had a Concierge 2 booked and 2.5 weeks before the cruise got a phone call with the offer to take an Aqua 1 for a very nominal fee. Since it was a short cruise, and our Alaska cruise in May will be our 1st Aqua (right on the aft :D) - we passed on it.

My opinion is that the cheap upgrades offered through the new program are not based on loyalty level but that they are moving people up 1 cabin level. So the concierge were getting moved to aqua and so on.

Will we ever get another offer? I hope so but we tend to book the cabins we want - so for the next 2 cruises - I would be turning an upgrade down.

Not sure there is an exact hierarchy to upgrades. Your point about calling seems to be costly in terms of Celebrity's time. I am sure they do it, just wonder is it worth the effort and potential confusion. For example. The decision is made to upgrade someone to cabin 'X'. Is that cabin now off the market while they find someone to accept? Then do this times how many cabins they are working on to upgrade. Then once that round is done, they have a new set of cabins to sell.

We had them call our TA once and ask if we wanted upgraded. TA called us and we declined. We had an stern cabin and we would not have wanted a suite even if offered. Do not remember what we offered. We wanted the wake. I would have been upset if upgrade had been automatic.

We too like you, used to book the exact cabin we wanted. Now, if I am on ship, I am okay. This is not to say that we don't pick cabins we want. We do, it just means for us, once we know if we want a balcony or not, then we book best price. We are trying BLU for our next cruise,so that has added another aspect to our selection. Use to book mostly CC before. Would not like a downgrade though. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

Sue, you are honestly one of the first past guest Celebrity cruiser that I have heard of being upgrade by surprise and not a GTY! :)

Iamthesea: You're so right; guess I was just in the right place at the right time for once in my life. I didn't even mention it on my roll call for that cruise - I was afraid they'd keelhaul me:D