Regal princess Blog Mar 6-13

wdblake

As far as connecting your lap top or any device to the TV in your room, I understand it's possible however the process I've seen people discuss on how to do it and what equipment you would need in order to facilitate such a connection.. I hardly think it's worth it. Unless your in the tech industry and doing so is as easy for you as it is for me to crack an egg!!

Thanks. I am (40 years in IT) and it should be, but I need to make sure that I take the right cables. I can fix any problems, but I can't generate a cable onboard

Thanks. I am (40 years in IT) and it should be, but I need to make sure that I take the right cables. I can fix any problems, but I can't generate a cable onboard

Do a thread search "regal princess TV's". You may have to browse a bit but there was a pretty in depth conversation about this just under a year ago.

Do a thread search "regal princess TV's". You may have to browse a bit but there was a pretty in depth conversation about this just under a year ago.

Thanks, found several threads. Looks rather awkward on Regal because the TVs are so close to the wall.

David

Thanks, found several threads. Looks rather awkward on Regal because the TVs are so close to the wall.

David

Also the remotes in the room do not change the imputs. You have to find one of the other remotes.

Thanks for this, which is fascinating. We're taking our first ever cruise in June on the Regal Princess, around the Baltic.

This is probably a very simple question - are there extra costs for MUTS and in-cabin Movies on Demand (or anything else on the TV?). Can you connect your own device (tablet, or whatever) to the TV over HDMI to show your own content?

Thanks

David

No charge for anything on the in-cabin TV.

There is no cost for MUTS, it's the big screen TV you see hanging over the main pool. Once a movie shows on that screen for the first time, they then add it to the on demand movies in your cabin, also no charge.

As far as connecting your lap top or any device to the TV in your room, I understand it's possible however the process I've seen people discuss on how to do it and what equipment you would need in order to facilitate such a connection.. I hardly think it's worth it. Unless your in the tech industry and doing so is as easy for you as it is for me to crack an egg!!

There are lots of free current releases. Hooking up your own device is problematic since there are no available outlets near the tv. The tv is also fixed mounted to the wall so you can't get to the workings behind it. Still many options to view.

Glad your trip is going so well! Thank you for sharing. Are you noticing many spring breakers on board being loud? We are sailing next week and I'm just curious! Thanks!!

Only a handful of polite and quiet teens and college kids. No loud parties nor carrying on. Very peaceful and quiet!

Last night we rocked and rolled as the ship passed through some windy weather. Last night my DW and I hit the retreat pool hot tubs around 7pm. While the tub felt good we were wind blasted getting out. We did have the place to ourselves. We are hitting again tonight so hopefully not so windy! Today was still windy. We did our mile around the track but fortunately did not wear our baseball hats as they would have been goners.

We did horizon court breakfast early which means that part is closed off until it gets busy. We were trying to figure out how to get cooked to order items since it was very early (7:00am). We have found that if you go to the very back part of the buffet (facing it) on the left is the cook to order omelet station. They do have a sign out. My DW said the omelet was one of the best we had at sea. The cook to order eggs guy is on the right of the station (there is no sign). You just have to ask him. I got 2 eggs over easy and the were just right. Not a fan of precooked toast so I will see if you can get this cooked to order tomorrow.

Today was the first sea day. I was impressed with the deck chair layout as it offers a lot of places to set up. You can find a chair about anywhere. On most ships by 10am all the chairs are gone but today there were still good spots up til noon. We sat on the upper deck over looking the pool which has four chairs and a table. The MUTS offers nice poolside music with scenes of nature, beautiful places and sea life. Very Relaxing.

We first got a slice from Prego’s. We were interesed in the pub lunch but when we went there at 1pm there was a long line and I didn’t want to wait for fish and chips.

We went to the Horizon Court and I hit the taco bar which was the best one on any cruise ship. They were doing the Mongolian BBQ which a lot of people seemed to be enjoying.

It was formal night. The Horizon court tried to fancy it up with goblets for water and well dressed waiters. I have to give a shout out to the Horizon court staff. They are on point making sure you have a drink and removing any finished dishes. They work like a well oiled machine.

They had many delicious treats but out standout favorites were the crusted beef tenderlion, fried shrimp and fried onion rings. Both shrimp and onion rings were just the right crispy and the tenderlion juicy and perfectly cooked. We tried to hot tub but once again the winds blew us away. we swung by the trident grill and picked up wings and ribs. The “Jumbo” wings were hardly jumbo and lacked any kind of spice. The ribs however were meaty and juicy. The sauce was ok but I would have prefered a spicy option.

The pizza special was the same for both Prego’s and Alfredo’s. It was a Pear and Coppa pizza with pesto, mozzerella, coppa, carmelized onions, blue cheese,pistachio, and arugula. It was very tasty. The blue cheese and pesto gave it a unique flavor.

International cafe was serving a mushroom and chive quiche. And the meat pie was a chicken and White wine.

MUTS was showing “Brooklyn”

Just added to the on demand tv...Brooklyn, Now you see me.

Until tomorrow!

We started the morning off with our usual breakfasts. The breakfast buffet changes very little except a different quiche choice each day. Our sink broke and the repair staff was right on it and fixed it in five minutes. We found our spot to lay out while we boycotted St Thomas. The ship was a little more empty than Princess Cays. We really had the place to ourselves. It was partly cloudy most of the day with a steady north breeze.

For lunch we decided to try Alfredo’s which was delicious. We had the special pizza which was a potato, bacon and brie. It was so good, I would highly recommend trying it. We also got the Regal pizza with thinly sliced ham which was very good as well.

Prego’s was serving a spicy tuna pizza.

They played a lot of concerts on MUTS but we did not care for the bands,They had the band Muse, then the Killers, follwed by Take That. Finally Pink (the only performer I had heard of played. It seemed an odd choice of music given the ships older demographic.

Dinner was Bavarian night which I had been looking forward to.

They served many sausages...Debreziner, Weisswurst, Bratwurst, Kielbasa, and weiners. I topped mine with mustard and kraut. Good kraut choices too. They had Red Cabbage, Spicy sauerkraut, classic sauerkraut, and sauerkraut with bacon. Of course it wouldn’t be Bavarian night without schnitzel of which they had both pork and turkey. The winner of the evening was the warm potato salad drizzled in a warm mustard based sauce. It was yummy. There were also plenty of pretzels to enjoy!

We forgoed the hot tub to watch Spectre which was pretty good.

The MUTS movie today was “Joy”.

Also the remotes in the room do not change the imputs. You have to find one of the other remotes.

On Royal, I used a universal remote on my phone.

I could change channel, etc -- but not input.

The TV was mounted nearly flush to the wall -- I think

it would have been quite an effort to plug anything

in to if, if the inputs could be enabled.

Thank you for your review. I looking forward to it every morning. We board the Regal this Sunday. Can you confirm which location you docked at in St Thomas? I have read conflicting reports lately and it will have a slight impact on our plans. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Thank you for your review. I looking forward to it every morning. We board the Regal this Sunday. Can you confirm which location you docked at in St Thomas? I have read conflicting reports lately and it will have a slight impact on our plans. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

It might change from week to week, but if you use google, you will find the website that gives the pier assignments.

I just checked....Havensight WICO

Edited by chrysalis

The German buffet is one of our favorites. We avoided buffets like the plague on cruises until we sailed on the Royal And Regal. Since then we eat at least several dinners each cruise at the buffet, between the food, no waiting and the pace of the meal that we set, along with casual dress it is a winner!

We love Alfredos as well and only imagine how lovely it was to have lunch there on a day in port when you stayed on the ship!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We docked at Crown Bay. There is a $4 shuttle into town.

We woke up to a partly cloudy day, ate in the horizon court and proceded to our spot in the sun. We decided the we would return to Alfredo’s for lunch and try some new items. Got some great sun then at 11am we headed to the restaurant. We couldn’t get in due to the fact that the crew were running drills. They told us 15 minutes so we went to the international cafe to kill time. My DW got a steak and mushroom pie which we shared which was really good, had a nice rich gravy inside. I took the time to jot down the sandwiches they have everyday.

They are tomato mozzerella, ham & cheese croisant, prosciotto & mozzerella, tuna, BBQ beef, cubano, pork & avacado, chicken & pineapple, Focaccini & chicken tandori, and finally chicken & tomato.

The quiche this day was spinich.

We met a fellow who told us they had canceled almost all shore excursions to the French side due to protests being staged. I talked to the purser and he confirmed 16 excursions were canceled and that they were telling people traveling there to do so at their own risk since certain roads were not passable. Glad we decided to stay on the ship!

When Alfredo’s opened my DW and I ordered the veal pasta dish and split the Tartina pizza (the one with the seafood).

The veal pasta was creamy and rich and just oozed cheese. It is a must get!

The Tartina pizza was very good and loaded with seafood.We didn’t try the pizza of the day which was a Thai pizza. It had peanut butter, hoisin, rice vinegar, sesame oil, jack cheese, shrimp, bean sprouts, scallion,and chili.

We returned to our seats and noticed quite a few people who had come back due to the protests. It was sunny with occasion clouds and slightly breezy. We listened to Maroon 5 who were better than the previous concerts we had heard.

We hit dinner in the Horizon court which was tex-mex night. They had Carne Guisada, Grilled Texas shrimp, Quesadillas, chicken enchilladas, chimichangas, and stuffed jalapeno poppers. The poppers were my favorite and were loaded with cheese. My DW loved the chimichangas.

In the middle of two serving aisles is a cheese station the lots of really good cheese an breads and crackers. My DW and I have been taking back plates to our room for late night snacks. This is especially important since they have all but eliminated room service. The only room service is breakfast, $3 pizza and for purchase foods and liquor. Free food has been eliminated.

They didn’t have MUTS due to fact they were readying the deck dance party.

Joy was added to the on demand movies.

Great job! I really appreciate the detailed descriptions of the food. I'll be on the Regal for the 3/20/16 sailing. The last time I was on the Regal, in November, 2014, the had the "Crab Shack" on a couple of nights. Are they still doing this?

Great job! I really appreciate the detailed descriptions of the food. I'll be on the Regal for the 3/20/16 sailing. The last time I was on the Regal, in November, 2014, the had the "Crab Shack" on a couple of nights. Are they still doing this?

Yes that and the Fondue event.

Room service food has been eliminated?

Did someone tell you that?

Have you checked in the binder in the cabin under room service for the menu?

We checked the binder and noticed that there were no pages pertaining to free room service items. We called the front desk and they sent up a man with pages for the binder but they were all the pay for items. When we asked "What about room service??" they kept reiterating about the free breakfast and the pay for items. But so far we have been not able to obtain a room service menu with free items. I think they might be quietly trying to phase it out.

We checked the binder and noticed that there were no pages pertaining to free room service items. We called the front desk and they sent up a man with pages for the binder but they were all the pay for items. When we asked "What about room service??" they kept reiterating about the free breakfast and the pay for items. But so far we have been not able to obtain a room service menu with free items. I think they might be quietly trying to phase it out.

Hmm surprised that there have not been more posts on this from other cruises/cruisers.

Have you tried calling RS and asking if they still have the hamburgers/hotdogs/croque monsieur etc at no charge?

If this is true this would be bad. :mad:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hmm surprised that there have not been more posts on this from other cruises/cruisers.

Have you tried calling RS and asking if they still have the hamburgers/hotdogs/croque monsieur etc at no charge?

If this is true this would be bad. :mad:

We called the pursers desk and asked for the missing pages of the directory for the room service complimentary items. They sent up a guy who tried to tell us that breakfast was the room service menu. When I mentioned that you used to be able to get a burger and sandwiches delivered to your room he told me I could go to deck 16 and get those. The only option for room service without a fee now is a limited breakfast menu.

We started off our morning with our usual mile walk and breakfast. It was 6:30am and people were already out there saving their chairs. It’s always funny to me how the first sea day so differs from the next one as people realize that chairs are a premium. However if you are not married to the idea of being by the pool there are loads of chairs available. We sat out by the pool until 11am and decided to do Alfredo’s once again (mainly because we have become addiced to the veal pasta dish which is so good it could be classified as a sin). In addition to the pasta dish my DW and I had the calzone. While delicious in flavor and crust I found the calzone a little more than an air pocket. Once you cut into it, it went flat. The flavors were there but the filling sparce. We did not try it but the pizza of the day was Truffle Mushroom which had ****take, portebello, champignon, truffle oil, pesto, mozzerella, goat cheese, pine nuts, and parmesean. While we enjoyed lunch the string quartet was playing in the piazza. They were very good and added a touch of elegance to our meal.

When we arrived back at our seat less than 30 minutes later some woman had camped herself out by our chairs in an attempt to have us evicted. She seemed ticked off that we followed the 30 minute rule. My DW and I have never left our chairs unattended for more than 30 minutes. I believe this to be proper behavior.

In the international cafe the quiche was Asparagus and the meat pie was a fish pie.

We checked out the Horizon court buffet later and noticed they were doing a rather large sushi buffet in the very back. I don’t eat a lot of sushi but I could tell that they had a huge assortment of sushi available. If you are a sushi fan you will not be dissapointed!

While we lounged by the pool we were entertained by DJ Q who played plenty of pop tunes (and is very good about taking requests) and after he finished we enjoyed the steel drum styles of Trevor Cole who played a number of interesting popular music on steel drum ranging from Madonna to Earth, Wind and Fire. He did finish up with Bob Marley which made me very happy.

We went to our first dinner in the dining room to try to get the lobster and prawns. We arrived at 5pm and it took about twenty minutes to get our food which wasn’t bad. However the lobster was very salty (we do eat a low salt diet) and the prawns were flavorless. We quickly went to the room and put on our comfy clothes and headed to the Horizon court. We enjoyed beef wellington which was super tender, duchess potatoes, a spicy shrimp in tomato sauce and a grilled minute steak cooked to perfection. I have been very impressed with the quality of shrimp here which is high praise being I am from South Carolina which is known for it’s shrimp.

We swung by Prego’s and the pizza of the day was the same as Alfredo’s, the mushroom and truffle pie.

I need to express a side note here. My DW and I have been trying all cruise to try the Norman Love drink that has the chocolate covered bacon. After multiple attempts the server told us that they really were not serving that drink anymore and have not taken it off the menu yet. When we inquired about the candy bar martini he proceded to tell us that they can make it but they were switching ingredients which to me was bogus. If you have a menu describing your drinks you should stick to it.

Well tomorrow is our last day, booooo!!! We have found our little uncruise to be one of the most relaxing ever.