Internet access on the Explorer of the Seas

I know this probably has been asked and answered before I just need to know updated facts.

I am currently in graduate school via online and will be in class during our Alaska cruise in Sept. We will be on the Explorer of the Seas, how good is the internet access on board, I will have a laptop with me or should I use the computer lab on board. As you can see from the list of cruises I have been on this is the first time I will need the internet as my classes are only 8 weeks long. If I can I will try to get everything turned in before but we are driving to Seattle from Texas so I might not be able to get everything turned in early. I am just a little worry about the connection of the internet. I will be letting my prof know ahead of time just in case.

Hope I haven confused anyone with my question

It really depends what you want the internet access for - watching a streaming lecture or uploading/downloading files? One thing is certain, it will cost you as RCI sees passengers only as a revenue source. You may also want to look at the exact locations when you want access as you could always use mobile phone based internet access if you are in port etc.

I hate to tell you this but I have not been on one cruise ship that the Internet is good. We just got off the Serenade of the Seas and the only way I could communicate was through Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I hate to tell you this but I have not been on one cruise ship that the Internet is good. We just got off the Serenade of the Seas and the only way I could communicate was through Facebook.

Quantum and Oasis class are excellent. Better than many people get at home.

I know this probably has been asked and answered before I just need to know updated facts.

I am currently in graduate school via online and will be in class during our Alaska cruise in Sept. We will be on the Explorer of the Seas, how good is the internet access on board, I will have a laptop with me or should I use the computer lab on board. As you can see from the list of cruises I have been on this is the first time I will need the internet as my classes are only 8 weeks long. If I can I will try to get everything turned in before but we are driving to Seattle from Texas so I might not be able to get everything turned in early. I am just a little worry about the connection of the internet. I will be letting my prof know ahead of time just in case.

Good luck with the Internet. I have never had a good experience on all the ships I've been on.

• 1 month later...

VOOM internet is a whole different ball game. You can even stream on it. Even on our TransAtlantic the internet was good, but it was VOOM. The ships that do not have VOOM yet do not compare with the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
Now we are past the 1st May and the promise of VOOM on all ships has anyone got any updated info on the speed of internet access on Explorer? TIA

No reports of fast VOOM from Explorer.

No reports of fast VOOM from Explorer.

That's a shame, thanks anyway. I have gone ahead and booked SURF for my South Pacific Cruise in November anyway, I will be so far from home I need to stay in touch somehow and my mobile package only covers Europe :(

That's a shame, thanks anyway. I have gone ahead and booked SURF for my South Pacific Cruise in November anyway, I will be so far from home I need to stay in touch somehow and my mobile package only covers Europe :(

You really can't go wrong because the VOOM prices are better than the old prices.

LondonGal has/is just finishing the TP on the Explorer. They were told VOOM would be introduced on May 1st but then told it would be started at the beginning of the next cruise. It was very poor for her cruise and she spent nights in hotels to do her on-line lectures. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2348821&page=6&highlight=explorer

Still waiting hear about EOS first cruise out of Seattle.

Just returned from the short 4 night Best of BC cruise. This cruise was the first sailing of the Explorer with Voom. While it was very convenient to be able to access the Internet anywhere on board, a measure of patience is required. It is not "fast". Even so, we would still purchase this feature again.

I was also on the 4 night this week. We had the "surf" package, not "surf and stream" and it was so slow it was barely worth getting. Seemed worse in certain areas of the ship and at times when lots of people were onboard and likely online. Numerous times I couldn't even check email.

We were on the 4 night and bought the "surf & stream" (faster) package. When it worked, I was getting 1.5 Mbps down, 4.0 Mbps up, with a ping from 550-1500ms. That's not very fast, but you could stream videos if everything was going well, with some stuttering and buffering.

However, it didn't always go well. We got kicked off many times, sometimes we'd be connected but unable to reach any internet sites, etc.

Overall it was acceptable for some light browsing and email. Luckily we were able to reach cell towers for the whole cruise except the sea day, when we went out to the open ocean for some reason. So for email I usually used my phone.

Ugh! The wi-fi experience onboard EOTS doesn't sound very promising. My DD10 and I were hoping to do a few Periscope sessions during our cruise sailing this Friday, May 27. If the internet service is truly that slow, Periscope won't even let you begin a broadcast.

I'm actually kind of happy I missed the deadline for pre-ordering the streaming package for our cruise. Now I'll have to wait until we're onboard the ship to purchase it. That will hopefully give us a chance to see if Periscoping is even possible with the current internet service.

We are on now, and it took three tries at over a minute each just to load this page. Absolutely horrible.

Thanks, we are looking to take the September 23-30 west coast cruise and I think it will forgo my usual live report and just do a review after I get home.