FreedomOTS - Eastern caribbean review

Hi! Just came back last sunday from our very first cruise. We went on the FOS with the Eastern itinerary out of Port Canaveral. Here is my short review.

1. The food and service in the MDR was amazing, no flaws in the service.

2. The food in Windjammer was a hit and miss, but we learned our favorites and ate the foods that we knew we liked. We all agreed that the mac and cheese was a miss and the mashed potatoes was a hit.

3. Sadly it was quite windy during our days at sea, we weren't ready for the all the motion the ship had. But we can't really help the weather.

4. Our cabin on deck 12, panoramic ocean view, was great. Amazing views from cabin 1808. Two teen girls easily shared the sofa bed.

5. We didn't really do that many of the activities onboard, but we were never bored. Loved the iceshow and the Love & Marriage game show. Also really liked the rock climbing wall and playing a few games in the Arcade.

6. Our ports of call were beautiful (Cococay, St Thomas and St Maarten). Our favorite Island were St Thomas, where we went with the Secret Sands beach exclusive excursion. That beach looked like taken from a postcard.

7. The ship was very clean, and so was our cabin. No problems here.

If anyone has a question about the ship or the ports of call, I'd be very happy to answer. :)

Thank you for sharing your view of the FOS. I always love hearing from new cruisers and seeing it thru their eyes "for the first time". Did it make you want to go on another cruise in the future?:)

My family are not that convinced about going on a caribbean cruise again, because of the motion on the ship. We might look in to a mediterranean cruise Instead. Is there less motion in the mediterranean, compared to cruising outside the eastern caribbean in the Atlantic?

My family are not that convinced about going on a caribbean cruise again, because of the motion on the ship. We might look in to a mediterranean cruise Instead. Is there less motion in the mediterranean, compared to cruising outside the eastern caribbean in the Atlantic?

I have not been across the pond yet for a cruise. It is however, on our bucket list after retiring. Did you have bad weather? Rough seas? I have been lucky and have never encountered anything too bad in the Caribbean before...but I am sure there will be a "first" time. :)

Thanks for your review. We are first time cruisers who'll be on this ship with this itinerary 4 WEEKS FROM TODAY BABY! [emoji14][emoji16][emoji6]

Anyway, it's nice to read the perspective from another first time cruiser.

So I'm a bit concerned about how much you felt the ship movement. I see that your cabin was on the front of the ship. Do you think that influenced how much you felt the motion, or did you feel it throughout the ship?

Edited by CookieDiva

I've been on 31 cruises in all kinds of weather. Don't let the movement scare you. Weather can't be controlled and most of the ships, to me, handle it well. I'll be on this ship for the Eastern trip in two weeks. If you're nervous about movement, bring some Dramamine or bonine with you. It works quickly if needed. In my experience, there are no other areas of any ocean that are better or calmer. Just depends on the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been on 31 cruises in all kinds of weather. Don't let the movement scare you. Weather can't be controlled and most of the ships, to me, handle it well. I'll be on this ship for the Eastern trip in two weeks. If you're nervous about movement, bring some Dramamine or bonine with you. It works quickly if needed. In my experience, there are no other areas of any ocean that are better or calmer. Just depends on the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

31 cruises???? You look like you are 16 in your avatar. :eek::):eek:

I have not been across the pond yet for a cruise. It is however, on our bucket list after retiring. Did you have bad weather? Rough seas? I have been lucky and have never encountered anything too bad in the Caribbean before...but I am sure there will be a "first" time. :)

We had quite a lot of wind during our first sea day, couldn't enjoy the sun because you felt as if you were going to be blown away. The other two sea days were much calmer.

Thanks for your review. We are first time cruisers who'll be on this ship with this itinerary 4 WEEKS FROM TODAY BABY! [emoji14][emoji16][emoji6]

Anyway, it's nice to read the perspective from another first time cruiser.

So I'm a bit concerned about how much you felt the ship movement. I see that your cabin was on the front of the ship. Do you think that influenced how much you felt the motion, or did you feel it throughout the ship?

The rest of the ship felt much calmer than our cabin, didn't feel motion at any other place than the deck 12 cabin corridor. The combination of being at the very front and the top of the ship did equal more motion. A little dramamine and everything was fine.

Hi! Just came back last sunday from our very first cruise. We went on the FOS with the Eastern itinerary out of Port Canaveral. Here is my short review.

1. The food and service in the MDR was amazing, no flaws in the service.

2. The food in Windjammer was a hit and miss, but we learned our favorites and ate the foods that we knew we liked. We all agreed that the mac and cheese was a miss and the mashed potatoes was a hit.

3. Sadly it was quite windy during our days at sea, we weren't ready for the all the motion the ship had. But we can't really help the weather.

4. Our cabin on deck 12, panoramic ocean view, was great. Amazing views from cabin 1808. Two teen girls easily shared the sofa bed.

5. We didn't really do that many of the activities onboard, but we were never bored. Loved the iceshow and the Love & Marriage game show. Also really liked the rock climbing wall and playing a few games in the Arcade.

6. Our ports of call were beautiful (Cococay, St Thomas and St Maarten). Our favorite Island were St Thomas, where we went with the Secret Sands beach exclusive excursion. That beach looked like taken from a postcard.

7. The ship was very clean, and so was our cabin. No problems here.

If anyone has a question about the ship or the ports of call, I'd be very happy to answer. :)

Will be doing a B2B on Freedom in April, so glad your experience was top notch!....K.O.:)

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you enjoyed. Must have been rough though (no pun intended) with the bad weather.

Can I ask what you did in St Maarten. We're looking for ideas.

I've heard great things about the Secret Sands excursion.

Don't let that sway you at all. As you said, it depends on the weather. Many times you'd feel almost no movement. You need to have your cabin as low as possible midship for least feeling of movement. That's why the skating rink is where it is.

Was on Freedom a few weeks ago and we had most movement in last few cruises.

Enjoying your review; sounds like you had a great time. We board 4 weeks from today with the same eastern itinerary. It will be our 3rd time on FOS. What time did you arrive in St. Thomas? Itinerary says noon but others had commented on actually arriving earlier. We have a 1/2 day excursion planned starting at 1:00pm.

I have booked the Secret Sands excursion for our FOS cruise in 2 weeks. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

We embark in 2 weeks, too! And now I'm considering the SS excursion.

We have Bernard's booked for Sint Maarten/St Martin (I find it impossible to just refer to the island by the one name LOL).

And like the OP we have a pano room booked.

We've been at the front, before, though; Radiance in Alaska. If I can handle that motion on the day we left the Inside Passage to get up to the glacier (while newly pregnant no less) I think I'll be OK. (yes bigger and taller ship, but still!)

I'd love to hear more about your St Thomas excursion. Was it through the ship?

Yes, the excursion was through RCI. We went by those fun, big taxis they have in St Thomas to a beach located in Smith's bay park. The water was turquoise and calm, the sand was super soft and there wasn't that many people there. On the way back to the ship we stopped on a mountain and got some great pictures of the ships and other Lovely views.

We book a Mid ship Cabin, Deck 8 or 9 and generally have smooth sailings. Perhaps a gently rocking but nothing bad. We experienced a little more motion coming out of Wellington two years ago due to a heavy storm moving in as we were leaving and we were on the Radiance of the Seas yet being smaller then the Freedom Class she handled it beautifully.

Nope, one of the worst storms I've experienced in 30 years of cruising

Was the night we left Barcelona for Cannes.

Don't let that sway you at all. As you said, it depends on the weather. Many times you'd feel almost no movement. You need to have your cabin as low as possible midship for least feeling of movement. That's why the skating rink is where it is.

Was on Freedom a few weeks ago and we had most movement in last few cruises.

This is so true...we always try and get either on Deck 6 or 7 midship....the higher up you are...the more movement you will feel...was on the same itinerary in Sept. 2015...and going again in May 2016...

I have always felt that there was more movement on the Eastern itinerary...than the Western...so, I just take Bonine with me just in case I need it...never had a problem....

But I sure love the Freedom!!!! One of my favorite ships....:)