Ship Wifi technical help needed please - does a Linksys work or help?

kazu

DH came home with a surprise.

A Linksys (AC1200 Amplify Wi-Fi Range Extender). He thought it would help with wifi reception on the ship and hotels (but mostly for the ship).

I am no technical genius as most of you know. I'm not going to be able to necessarily plug it in near a router obviously.

Could this gadget possibly help? If it will, I'll keep it and pack it. If not, best to return it as wifi is great at home.

thanks - if anyone can offer advise.

Plugging it in in your cabin won't appreciably improve reception for a device already in your cabin. There might be a slight gain in reception on a verandah - but hardly enough to warrant taking all that space in your luggage.

Kazu, under the phtotography area is a 'cruising technology' forum, and somebody there might have ideas...EM

Thanks EM - will look.

I've never tried using a booster, but IMO if you can't place it where it will pick up a decent signal to amplify and repeat it won't help.

That's what I was thinking. I won't know where the "cones" are until onboard. Thanks.

Plugging it in in your cabin won't appreciably improve reception for a device already in your cabin. There might be a slight gain in reception on a verandah - but hardly enough to warrant taking all that space in your luggage.

Thanks Dave - it's not very big in all honesty so it's not an issue to pack it if it will help.

the extenders don't make a bad signal better, they only make whatever signal is available usable over a larger area.

In order for the extender to help, it must have a good signal to work with.

the extenders don't make a bad signal better, they only make whatever signal is available usable over a larger area.

And even if you improve the signal strength, you're still connected to the ship's system, which is slow.

Think of the way your signals get passed from your laptop to the satellite. It's kind of like an assembly line. In an assembly line, they slowest step in the process determines how quickly the product is made. Improving a step that's already going quickly is not going to improve the output of the line.

Extending the signal to a wider area is only going to let you have more choice in where you sit to connect to a slow system. I don't think it's worth the cost or suitcase space to bring an extender.

I won't know where the "cones" are until onboard. Thanks.
The "cones" are still around, but I don't think they're doing anything any more. The new system antennas look more like throw pillows. The are often but not always near the old cones.

svpf09.jpg

Thanks. I was happy with the signal on the Westerdam last year (recognizing it is only so fast) so the purpose was to allow me to be able to use the signal over a larger area (in other words - not have to move around to get a signal). (I think DH is worried I might still be a one armed bandit ;) )

And even if you improve the signal strength, you're still connected to the ship's system, which is slow.

Think of the way your signals get passed from your laptop to the satellite. It's kind of like an assembly line. In an assembly line, they slowest step in the process determines how quickly the product is made. Improving a step that's already going quickly is not going to improve the output of the line.

Extending the signal to a wider area is only going to let you have more choice in where you sit to connect to a slow system. I don't think it's worth the cost or suitcase space to bring an extender.

thanks - LOL - it is not big. It won't make or break our luggage space ( I hope). If it would work to give a signal in a wider area, it would achieve the objective and reason DH bought it for me ;)

The "cones" are still around, but I don't think they're doing anything any more. The new system antennas look more like throw pillows. The are often but not always near the old cones.

svpf09.jpg

Thanks JTL - think the Westerdam had the new system. Just not sure where they are compared to room.

I'm thinking if it's going to work it will be great for picking on p a shore signal in your cabin but using it somewhere else on the ship, no?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the help. If it picked up a shore signal it would be nice. Still struggling with this thing. Thanks again.

I'm thinking if it's going to work it will be great for picking on p a shore signal in your cabin ...
No. Let me try an analogy. Suppose you had dim a light in a room surrounded by dark rooms. If you had a "light range extender" you could reproduce the same dim light in the surrounding rooms, but it would not make the light any brighter in the first room.

Edited by jtl513

Also remember that the extender is going to require a power plug - something in limited quantity - in order to work.

No worries - I didn't forget that :)

I have not had trouble with WiFi signal strength on my HAL cruises, it is just an agonizingly slow system.

Glad to hear it. There has been some issues in certain locations (or the need to keep the cabin door open) so DH was hoping to get around that problem with this gadget. Westerdam was good last year so not sure what inspired him to do this other than his worry about the one armed bandit (moi ;))

No. Let me try an analogy. Suppose you had dim a light in a room surrounded by dark rooms. If you had a "light range extender" you could reproduce the same dim light in the surrounding rooms, but it would not make the light any brighter in the first room.

Really good analogy JTL :). Even my DH would understand that :p:D

That's my point but going the other way. If you have a signal in your cabin as one side evidently often does, then wouldn't the extender help get the signal somewhere where the signal doesn't reach? Like on the pool deck?

That's my point but going the other way. If you have a signal in your cabin as one side evidently often does, then wouldn't the extender help get the signal somewhere where the signal doesn't reach? Like on the pool deck?

No, it needs to be plugged in and has limited range. The cabin and verandah will do just fine by me. I'v had some need to move around in the cabin and that's usually no big deal, but if my arm still has to be on a pillow to type, then I need to be comfortable and have range. DH was just trying to be kind to me. It's obvious there is a lot to consider.

thanks all for the help and posts. I'm glad I asked :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to check what's available and the signal strengths, I suggest downloading the WiFi Analyzer app from the Google playstore if you have an Android device. I assume the Istore might also have one for your Ipad.

I use that app to find the best "hot" spot in the cabin.

Edited by cruzincurt

Just to check what's available and the signal strengths, I suggest downloading the WiFi Analyzer app from the Google playstore if you have an Android device. I assume the Istore might also have one for your Ipad.

I use that app to find the best "hot" spot in the cabin.

Thanks - I can find the best wifi spot, but because of current issues with the arm, I might need a different location. (bed, couch to prop the arm) Why we are looking at this.

If I read the specs right, it's not the right piece of equipment. You need something along the lines of range extender or a repeater. They take the existing signal, boost it, and rebroadcast it - in both directions. Of course, you'd need to place the device somewhere with a half decent signal for it to work.

If I read the specs right, it's not the right piece of equipment. You need something along the lines of range extender or a repeater. They take the existing signal, boost it, and rebroadcast it - in both directions. Of course, you'd need to place the device somewhere with a half decent signal for it to work.

Sorry about the erroneous information in my previous post. That piece of equipment should be fine. A different piece of equipment (a router) came up when I did the search.

Sorry about the erroneous information in my previous post. That piece of equipment should be fine. A different piece of equipment (a router) came up when I did the search.

Thanks POA1 :)

Jacqui, for what it's worth, Westerdam did have the new WAPs (Wireless Access Points, John's throw pillows :D) last year on our April cruise. There were many more of them than the old "cones".

Not sure if you had spotty coverage then in your suite, but if you were able to find a spot with decent signal strength that then seemed to fade as you moved around the room and out on the verandah, this device, if placed in the same decent signal strength location, might provide a more consistent, usable signal around the room and verandah.

Problem is knowing whether any cabin or suite will have a spot that has a decent signal where you could locate this device. I remember some saying they had WAPs (John's throw pillows) in their cabins even, which would likely make the signal repeater unnecessary.

I think it's very nice that Jose is looking out for you.