Money saving tips

amyhoss

Does anyone have any money saving tips for your Carnival cruises?

I have a local grocery store that sells Carnival gift cards. They give you $.20 off per gallon of gas for every $50 in gift cards purchased (it's usually $.10 but they had a special a couple weeks ago). I purchased $1500 in Carnival gift cards to put towards my balance and in return, I get $6.00 off each gallon of gas, so that's basically 3 free tanks of gas.

I also plan on using my Amex offer for $75 cash back on a $250 Carnival purchase.

What else is out there? Let's get creative!

Smuggling on booze would save a bunch if you drink.

Thanks to the booze smugglers, we're no longer allowed to bring bottles of sodas or water on board, only cans. :( And yes, I know you can buy a 12-pack of water for $3.99 on the ship.

Amazing how many people line up for that:eek::eek:

If you like how it looks, it is a fairly inexpensive souvenir. As long as you realize it's not an investment, and don't expect top quality, it's could be a nice memento of the trip.

The best I do is 10% off with Verizon. Pay with a rewards CC and I get a total of 10.9-11.8% off, total. Might not seem like a high % but for two rooms plus gratuities on our upcoming cruise, about $400 savings.

If you like how it looks, it is a fairly inexpensive souvenir. As long as you realize it's not an investment, and don't expect top quality, it's could be a nice memento of the trip.

True but when your hand changes color due to the "gold" coming right off it can be a bit annoying.

Thanks to the booze smugglers, we're no longer allowed to bring bottles of sodas or water on board, only cans. :( And yes, I know you can buy a 12-pack of water for $3.99 on the ship.

Sorry do not believe this change was due to the booze smugglers, any more than I think they will not deliver purchases to your cabin the last night of the cruise as they think you will drink your stuff instead of buying drinks on the ship.

They do it to increase revenue

Does anyone have any money saving tips for your Carnival cruises?

I have a local grocery store that sells Carnival gift cards. They give you $.20 off per gallon of gas for every $50 in gift cards purchased (it's usually $.10 but they had a special a couple weeks ago). I purchased $1500 in Carnival gift cards to put towards my balance and in return, I get $6.00 off each gallon of gas, so that's basically 3 free tanks of gas.

I also plan on using my Amex offer for $75 cash back on a $250 Carnival purchase.

What else is out there? Let's get creative!

Get the best price possible in the cheapest room possible that you are comfortable with, pay with a card that gives you cash back, including your sail and sign charges, and keep your on board expenses low. If you drink, bring a bottle of two, skip the pay for items on board, book own tours or do it yourself.

Sorry do not believe this change was due to the booze smugglers' date=' any more than I think they will not deliver purchases to your cabin the last night of the cruise as they think you will drink your stuff instead of buying drinks on the ship.

They do it to increase revenue[/quote']

No. Now they don't need to stop lines while taking cases apart and shaking bottles for booze. Now they save tons of labor by not delivering booze all over the ship, much of it wasn't even bought on the ship.

If you do not drink....and can bring you favorite powder drink/coffee enhancers..or like the Via from Starbucks or something, can enjoy the free beverages and ice cream..make your own coffee milkhake, or like lemonade and ice tea and like to mix them, can drink the ship water iced with lemon, etc. Bring a thermos mug you like and enjoy...and take your 12 cans of pop/soft drinks. And research safe short tours or tours you can do on your own.

And do not gamble..maybe join one slot pull with a group...skip bingo and spa. Perfect the act of trying something else at free venues if you do not like what you had..ok to be a little wasteful there. You really can enjoy THE FREE ACTIVITIES...and find your spot to gaze at sea...inside and outside no mater what cabin and your best shore beach. It can be done well at any level. Depending on your likes and attitude....

Save cash for needs on shore and bring a refillable water bottle for that....but watch shore water as per where it is good and where you may react...that is where to splurge on your paid bottled cool beverages.

Edited by sjn911

Sorry do not believe this change was due to the booze smugglers' date=' any more than I think they will not deliver purchases to your cabin the last night of the cruise as they think you will drink your stuff instead of buying drinks on the ship.

They do it to increase revenue[/quote']

Are you my friends..Sheila your wife?? anyways,,happy Grand Baby. Happy spring.

Here's another one for anyone that might have to fly to their port and can use Southwest.

1) Sign up for Target red card (credit or debit)

2) Purchase discounted secondary market gift cards (Target) from a gift card reseller. I use Raise.com or Cardpool.com most of the time but there are others out there.

• Target discounted cards vary but should be between 4-8% off

3) Register for a Target account and enter your red card as the default payment.

4) Place Southwest gift cards into your cart. There may be a limit on how many gift cards you can purchase in one transaction but you can just do multiple transactions. Proceed to check out. Make sure your Red card is the default payment.

5) Chose pay with a gift card. Enter and apply up to 4 gift cards at a time.

6) You should see your 5% red card discount and NO taxes or shipping fees. Some have reported taxes being charged or the discount not showing. If that happened clear all your cookies/history and try again.

This has to be done at Target.com in order to use the 5% redcard discount when paying with a gift card.

Using this method, you can save anywhere from 8.8% - 12.6% (depending on your secondary market Target gift card savings) on your Southwest flight.

Edited by amyhoss

Here's another one for anyone that might have to fly to their port and can use Southwest.

1) Sign up for Target red card (credit or debit)

2) Purchase discounted secondary market gift cards (Target) from a gift card reseller. I use Raise.com or Cardpool.com most of the time but there are others out there.

• Target discounted cards vary but should be between 4-8% off

3) Register for a Target account and enter your red card as the default payment.

4) Place Southwest gift cards into your cart. There may be a limit on how many gift cards you can purchase in one transaction but you can just do multiple transactions. Proceed to check out. Make sure your Red card is the default payment.

5) Chose pay with a gift card. Enter and apply up to 4 gift cards at a time.

6) You should see your 5% red card discount and NO taxes or shipping fees. Some have reported taxes being charged or the discount not showing. If that happened clear all your cookies/history and try again.

This has to be done at Target.com in order to use the 5% redcard discount when paying with a gift card.

Using this method, you can save anywhere from 8.8% - 12.6% (depending on your secondary market Target gift card savings) on your Southwest flight.

i did not know you would still save the 5% if you use a giftcard. Thanks for the info.

If you do not drink....and can bring you favorite powder drink/coffee enhancers..or like the Via from Starbucks or something, can enjoy the free beverages and ice cream..make your own coffee milkhake, or like lemonade and ice tea and like to mix them, can drink the ship water iced with lemon, etc. Bring a thermos mug you like and enjoy...and take your 12 cans of pop/soft drinks. And research safe short tours or tours you can do on your own.

Save cash for needs on shore and bring a refillable water bottle for that....but watch shore water as per where it is good and where you may react...that is where to splurge on your paid bottled cool beverages.

You can also bring liquids flavor water enhancers as they call them. Brought my Tervis mug, filled it with ice water and a few squirts or orange tangerine flavor...nice and tropical. Bring a few so you can have variety.

And I agree, bottled water on land is cheaper on shore than onboard and IMO worth the cost just in case.