Train vs rental car in Skagway - help!

oceanlovinmama

Third time returning to Alaska this August. Both other time we rented a car and went to Emerald Lake, stopping at other places along the way. Trying to decide if the train is worth it, or if I'll be disappointed in not being able to discover on my own. The train is also a lot more, and this is a 11 day trip for me so I'm trying to spend wisely. Any suggestions please!

I would rent a car, more freedom to stop and look at things that might interest you. On one trip we drove up to Whitehorse, that was interesting day. I guess Avis now limits the mileage to Emerald lake. We’ve done the train, I find it to get rather boring pretty quick, we have to same type of flora here where live.

Why are you considering this? Do you have any interest? It's not mentioned once. You're making several comments that leads to the train, not being for you, perhaps? - cost, disappointed, no freedom to "discover on own", worth it.

it is not for everyone, I'm one who repeats it all the time, as - I - have the interest and enjoy the train. Everyone is different.

It sounds like you are already set on a car - which is fine. In taking the train you still have to use some sort of tour company to return from Carcross.

The main advantage of the train is being able to see what is left of Bennett and the end of the Chilkoot and White Pass trail. In the past, another highlight was the lunch served at the station - but that is now gone.

Since you say you have done this before - why not try something different - maybe going the opposite direction out of Carcross - head south not north.

Third time returning to Alaska this August. Both other time we rented a car and went to Emerald Lake, stopping at other places along the way. Trying to decide if the train is worth it, or if I'll be disappointed in not being able to discover on my own. The train is also a lot more, and this is a 11 day trip for me so I'm trying to spend wisely. Any suggestions please!

I would ride the train without hesitation. I have no desire to drive or ride a bus while I am on a vacation. I realize that if you do a land portion of AK you have to drive, but if I can avoid it I will every time. The pictures I get from the train are incredible, and the ability to move around and sand on the rear platform are worth it to me.

Thanks everyone. I guess I wanted everyone to make my decision for me as I'm having a difficult time. I would like to experience the train since I have not done so, but at the same time, the drive to Emerald Lake is so beautiful I just wonder if I'll miss that so much that I'll be disappointed in just doing the train. Perhaps I should do the train so I can compare it with the drive and the next time I come back to Alaska, I won't have to ask this question :)

Why don't you do the train/bus combo and see both? Like BQ I love the Lake Bennett excursion, the scenery gets better the farther you travel. Riding the train along the lake side has some great views

Would this be a fun trip for kids. At the time they will be 12, 10, 9 and 7.

Maybe it comes from living too long in Alaska and other scenic places, but Emerald Lake - to me - is pretty much a "drive by" target. Pretty, yes, but not earth-shaking or close to it.

However the kids might enjoy carrying on up the road a few miles from Emerald Lake to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town - http://sightsandsites.ca/south/site/robinson-roadhouse - which they can explore, chase the numerous marmots, etc. It's a nice out-of-the-car break.

However the kids might enjoy carrying on up the road a few miles from Emerald Lake to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town - http://sightsandsites.ca/south/site/robinson-roadhouse - which they can explore, chase the numerous marmots, etc. It's a nice out-of-the-car break.

Interesting, I've never seen anyone mention this before. I'll have to remember for my next visit, I'm always looking for someplace new to see. I've always turned around at Emerald Lake and headed back to Skagway

Edited by DougH

I'm going to jump in here, if you don't mind. Living in Seattle, I'm anticipating a "Similar" type of beauty and think it might be best to rent a car and head to one or two great destinations, maybe with a little hiking and big scenery involved. Any suggestions here. I have NO idea of where to start although I will check out some of the links posted in this thread (I'm going 8/25/17).

I'm spending the big bucks in Juneau and need to be a little more thrifty in the other ports to be able to afford it.

The train is also a lot more, and this is a 11 day trip for me so I'm trying to spend wisely. Any suggestions please!

Sounds like you have already figured it out. (If you really wanted to take the train you probably would have done so on a previous cruise...)