I will NEVER cruise with Norwegian again!

marcar123

If there was such a need for additional crew members, I would think that each and every cruise would have an issue, which isn't the case.

There seems to be some debate over that. But even if that is so, surely a cruise line interested in providing a consistent experience would add a few extra staff when the numbers suggest it would be advisable. After all, it's not as if cruise lines don't know the numbers at least 72 hours in advance of departure.

Although I have benefited tremendously from the UBP last year and this year on the Breakaway February sailings, I am NOT a fan of the beverage package. Last year I did not understand how Norwegian was going to make a dollar giving this away as a promotion. Everything was fast, flowing, and no waits. I hated it and thought it an abomination. I could not figure it out. On this recent sailing, I got it. Trying to get a cocktail was indeed a challenge as I observed experienced bartenders who have worked many years...trying their hardest to slow things down it was comical. I have never lied on cruise critic and I seriously calculated long waits where all my other Norwegian cruises have never had long waits. I witnessed staff trying hard to not make drinks. I still can not figure it out. The newbies were working their arses off (and they got all the cash) while the experienced ones were slacking. How do I know ? I have seen these employees work on ships in the past. I really hope I am wrong but something is definitely awry. The funny thing is...I liked the slowdown...because I am so against free flowing drinks.

I did have a bartender holler at me for not knowing Mount Gay was also a light rum and not a dark rum. I got hollered at after telling my bro I was going to see how long it took to get him to serve me. I do not know what I did wrong for him...but he served everyone else who came after me. Maybe he was mad because my family brought a bar waiter red bull, shaving cream, and doritos when we were in Port Canaveral because he could not get off the ship. I have no idea what this guy had against me.

I can also attest that it did take over 30-40 minutes to get a drink at Great Stirrup Cay...because I was there timing it! There was a bartender who showed up and got the others to get their thumbs out of their arses...but I am afraid to mention who the saviors were...for fear of getting them into trouble!

Do you think they are being told to slow it down? I do not know. All I know is that I felt very bad for any cruiser who paid for the UBP when it was a freebie for me.

coka:(

There seems to be some debate over that. But even if that is so, surely a cruise line interested in providing a consistent experience would add a few extra staff when the numbers suggest it would be advisable. After all, it's not as if cruise lines don't know the numbers at least 72 hours in advance of departure.

Where could a cruise line find that "few extra staff" (presumably capable of doing a decent job) on 72 hours notice?

Where could a cruise line find that "few extra staff" (presumably capable of doing a decent job) on 72 hours notice?

This could be done by altering vacations and moving people from ship to ship. You can go anywhere in the world in 72 hours.

Managers who know what they are doing anticipate surges and take action before it happens.

They manage their food and beverage supplies based on the booking stats such as age, amenities booked, and other criteria. Their personnel needs can be managed in the same manner.

Examples -- More kids need more hot dogs and hamburgers and sodas and milk. More adults need more booze.

A good manager will begin this process long before the 72 hour cutoff time.

Edited by swedish weave

I had the unlimited beverage package on Celebrity for a Greek Isles cruise and never waited for a server or in a long line for a drink. I cruised on RCL last March, prime time, with the same package and again, never waited for a server or in a long line for drinks. We're booked on an NCL Baltic cruise this summer and were given the drink passage as part of the fare. Most of what I've read about the NCL drink package is similar to your experience. NCL is trying to maintain a certain price point and instead of discounting its price, is adding amenities...such as the unlimited drink package. What good is it, and how valuable is it to the passenger who can't use it because NCL under staffs it bars and thereby, limits its output of alcohol? Something I will be watching on our upcoming NCL cruise and if our experience is similar to what your experience, I will return to a cruise line which isn't setting passengers up for a bait and switch. I will post after our cruise.

That is not my problem to solve. But I fail to see how, when tens of thousands of companies have no problem regularly doing this sort of thing a cruise line could not. As the saying goes, it's not rocket science.

They can easily deploy staff anywhere...there is NO benefit fot them though..At this moment NCL is all about making money...When the service comes to a point that they will struggle to fill the ships THEN you will see a steady increase of staff and level of service...But then it might be late for them..Ncl is a big corporation they think all about investors and stock holders but they seem to have forgotten about their guests...and these guests are the one who bring the money

They can easily deploy staff anywhere...there is NO benefit fot them though..At this moment NCL is all about making money...When the service comes to a point that they will struggle to fill the ships THEN you will see a steady increase of staff and level of service...But then it might be late for them..Ncl is a big corporation they think all about investors and stock holders but they seem to have forgotten about their guests...and these guests are the one who bring the money

I think you are right - but until NCL customers start seriously voting with their feet, you can expect the line to continue exploring additional staff cuts and add-on revenue gimmicks. I think they have finally driven me away - in spite of their sharing the New York market only with RCI's monster of the seas - whose size is almost as much of a turn-off as NCL's dismal service.

That is not my problem to solve. But I fail to see how, when tens of thousands of companies have no problem regularly doing this sort of thing a cruise line could not. As the saying goes, it's not rocket science.

From the quality of service experienced recently, I think you may have something there : perhaps NCL does hire last minute MDR wait staff from among the hopeful day work seekers to be found at the bottom of interstate highway exit ramps.

The smaller ships tend or at least tended to have 2:1 passenger to crew ratio. On these large, newer ships that ratio has increased to 3:1 if not 4:1.

I hope I didn't make a mistake booking the Getaway for November. Just checked the ship stats, for a smaller ship with 2300 people the crew is 1,100. For the Getaway with 4000 people the crew is only 1600. That isn't much more. On RC and Disney I always had great service. We are pretty low maintenance folks but we don't want dinner to take over 2 hours, especially with kids!

Sorry you had a bad time, it sounds to me that you must have gone on a particularly crowded sailing. With so many people cruising from all over the country and Western Hemisphere, it's highly likely you could have encountered a spring break crowd as that could happen anywhere from late January to mid April.

I do feel that not being served promptly in a restaurant is an issue. But some of the other issues you described (waiting in line at the bar to get a drink at the private island, crowded bungee trampoline, and crowded ropes course) is pretty normal as far as I'm concerned. When you cruise the big ships, you should be prepared to wait for things.

We went on Getaway two years ago during a March spring break, and my son probably waited an hour to do the bungee trampoline. That should be normal and expected. Generally I found that going to things right when they opened (especially the ropes course) was advised. I'm not at all surprised that the trampoline closes at times. All of those activities (ropes, rock wall, trampoline) have the same set of staff day in and day out, and they need breaks. They're not going to hire someone to staff the trampoline 12 hours a day every day. They rotate the people around to the different activities, and they make it very clear what activities are open and at what times.

Sorry you had a bad cruise, and I guess you are going to give up on Norwegian, but I would expect you to have similar issues on any large ship sailing during Spring Break season.

I agree with some of this. But I think if you have that many people on board (who paid good money by the way), then they should staff activities appropriately. Especially the kids stuff, what kid (or adult) wants to wait an hour for a trampoline? I guess I haven't seen this much on RC or Disney. There was never too bad of a line. Maybe NCL doesn't handle crowds well. Other cruiselines can "move" people well.

I hope I didn't make a mistake booking the Getaway for November. Just checked the ship stats, for a smaller ship with 2300 people the crew is 1,100. For the Getaway with 4000 people the crew is only 1600. That isn't much more. On RC and Disney I always had great service. We are pretty low maintenance folks but we don't want dinner to take over 2 hours, especially with kids!

One thing to keep in mind for larger ships. They still only have one captain, one cruise director, etc. Also the engine and deck departments aren't going to grow near as much as the ship. So a lower ratio of crew for running the ship leaves more of the crew to serve passengers.

I agree with some of this. But I think if you have that many people on board (who paid good money by the way), then they should staff activities appropriately. Especially the kids stuff, what kid (or adult) wants to wait an hour for a trampoline? I guess I haven't seen this much on RC or Disney. There was never too bad of a line. Maybe NCL doesn't handle crowds well. Other cruiselines can "move" people well.

Wouldn't things like the bungee trampoline, rock climbing, slides, etc. be more restricted by the capacity of the activity than by the people staffing it? So if there was a line it would be because everyone just needed to wait their turn during peak times? I'm really not sure how more staffing would help with lines in these types of activities.:confused:

All NCL needs to do is eliminate the UBP as a perk, but then people would complain about that.

You have sussed out the next step in FDR's cunning plan. Now that people are inoculated to the higher fares, because they 'justify' it by the not-really-freebies being included, NCL will start to wean people off the perks but keep the fares the same.

People have got used to slower service (same spurious justification) so they can cheap out there as well.

This 'plan' relies on a bottomless pit of newbies (or PT Barnum's suckers if you want:rolleyes:).

Whether that pit is bottomless is a potential flaw in this plan.

Given the amount of information available (on this interwebnetthingy), I suspect this will not end well.

I enjoyed getting to Platinum level - I have some great memories - but I suspect that NCL and us have parted company at present.

Wouldn't things like the bungee trampoline, rock climbing, slides, etc. be more restricted by the capacity of the activity than by the people staffing it? So if there was a line it would be because everyone just needed to wait their turn during peak times? I'm really not sure how more staffing would help with lines in these types of activities.:confused:

The problem is that the facilities you mentioned can only be used while there are ship's staff monitoring. The simple fact is, at least on NCL, for much of the day the facilities are not monitored and therefore not useable.

I believe references to under-staffing is in relation to the activities being closed for many hours of the day. With enough staff on hand there should be no need for these closures.. Having an activity only open for a few hours, particularly on a sea day, makes little sense. Longer hours should equate to shorter lines.

Rochelle

You have sussed out the next step in FDR's cunning plan. Now that people are inoculated to the higher fares, because they 'justify' it by the not-really-freebies being included, NCL will start to wean people off the perks but keep the fares the same.

People have got used to slower service (same spurious justification) so they can cheap out there as well.

This 'plan' relies on a bottomless pit of newbies (or PT Barnum's suckers if you want:rolleyes:).

Whether that pit is bottomless is a potential flaw in this plan.

Given the amount of information available (on this interwebnetthingy), I suspect this will not end well.

I enjoyed getting to Platinum level - I have some great memories - but I suspect that NCL and us have parted company at present.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've seen it in a couple of places and can't figure out - what does FDR stand for? A person/title?

ETA: I'm assuming it's not the late President. "Thanks Obama" is one thing, but I can't figure how you could attribute 21st century cruise line policies with the New Deal.

Edited by 3Fluffies

One thing to keep in mind for larger ships. They still only have one captain, one cruise director, etc. Also the engine and deck departments aren't going to grow near as much as the ship. So a lower ratio of crew for running the ship leaves more of the crew to serve passengers.

500 more crew for 1700 passengers is still more than a 3:1 ratio.

I believe references to under-staffing is in relation to the activities being closed for many hours of the day. With enough staff on hand there should be no need for these closures.. Having an activity only open for a few hours, particularly on a sea day, makes little sense. Longer hours should equate to shorter lines.

Rochelle

How many hours a day is the trampoline open? Is it just closed during dining hours or is it closed randomly during the day?

500 more crew for 1700 passengers is still more than a 3:1 ratio.

So? Roughly the same number of the 1100 crew on the smaller ship or 1600 on the larger ship actually run the ship. The bridge crew, engine crew, deck crew, etc. are basically the same, no real change. So almost all of that additional 500 crew went towards serving guests. Also, there are efficiencies in a larger ship. The laundry will have to be bigger, but may not need that many more crew.

I won't claim the service is better or worse on the larger ship, but simply having a higher ratio of passengers to crew because it is a larger ship doesn't lower service.

I sailed on the Spirit and the Star. The problem I encountered first off on the Spirit was the MIA (missing in action) of the cabin steward. Never saw him/her on embarkation day. We had no cabin service that first night, cabin was as we boarded. No make up the next day either. I went to pax services to find out what was going on with this, of course, you get the "OH" look. Give them my name and cabin number. No service for the next two days....So here I go, knowing somewhere near the door there has to be a "refresh my room" sign. SO I start pushing and pulling around the door and when I get to the door number, something moves.....There it is, a circle that you move to request service. NOW someone could have told me about it, but where the steward was to introduce himself......then the linens on the bed were pilled and ripped. They have great itineraries, if I do sail them again, at least I know what to expect

If been on the Jewel, Pearl and Dawn and there was obviously a fixture next to the door, that I couldn't miss, that had a dial (was turned to welcome when I first went to the cabin) that you could put to: Make up cabin, turn down cabin, do not disturb and welcome. Maybe they need to install them on the other ships.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If been on the Jewel, Pearl and Dawn and there was obviously a fixture next to the door, that I couldn't miss, that had a dial (was turned to welcome when I first went to the cabin) that you could put to: Make up cabin, turn down cabin, do not disturb and welcome. Maybe they need to install them on the other ships.

Then I wasn't looking for the obvious lol