Riviera Review ~ 2/22 to 3/3/2016

HeatherInFlorida

if we really want to see the show that evening we ask for a table for 2

if you have a larger table it seems to take long for all the courses to be served & then also if you meet some very nice people you lose track of time ;)

Option 2 is to eat in the Terrace & you can be done in no time

That is such a great point! Way less time for 2. Just we love sharing and have met such nice people that way who we might otherwise not have met.

Regarding the Terrace, we find the food there exceptional and dined there 3 times .... Always on the first and last nights.

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

Keep in mind opinions about entertainment are highly subjective and of course we can't expect to see a Las Vegas show on a ship this size as you say. Like you, we don't go expecting anything so it was a low bar. It's a small group ... 5 (or 6?) singers and several dancers ( I can't recall how many). The dancers stood out the most for us. I really felt they were spectacular. :).

It's a little different than on a bigger , lavish ship . But there can be some talented performers as you say .And with the smaller room the view can be better. And it's not a big deal to me .I'm not all that big on Broadway show tunes .The last couple we were on , had different themes each night .They did one R&R night .Had some standout singers who handled different material quite well I thought . And I do find the dancing entertaining .Shows are held short , so your in and out in a little over an hour as I recall .And if dinner goes late you can still catch a partial. I do like comedians .But my sense of humor is a bit demented .

Heather, entertainment certainly must be another of those subjective areas. I thought the large group production shows certainly took a big step back in February on Riviera from the excellent ones we enjoyed the last two years when the Jeri Ryan company was employed. Both dancing and singing (particularly the men) were very weak and the sound system was so bad that one night the lead singer's mike did not work at all. A hand held one finally appeared which really messed up the accompanying dancing.

There must be a budget cutback regarding the large production shows because the talent was nowhere near as good and the sound was a mess several nights.

Edited by CintiPam

Heather, entertainment certainly must be another of those subjective areas. I thought the large group production shows certainly took a big step back in February on Riviera from the excellent ones we enjoyed the last two years when the Jeri Ryan company was employed. Both dancing and singing (particularly the men) were very weak and the sound system was so bad that one night the lead singer's mike did not work at all. A hand held one finally appeared which really messed up the accompanying dancing.

There must be a budget cutback regarding the large production shows because the talent was nowhere near as good and the sound was a mess several nights.

I believe you refer to the Jean M. Ryan dance troop who we also saw on Riviera in the last few years and were most unimpressed. We felt this group's talent overall far surpassed that team. We did not experience any sound issues. So, as you say, what we see as good entertainment is very subjective and I believe the change was made not due to budget cuts, but because this group is seen as an improvement. At least on our cruise everyone we spoke with felt they were far better. But no one can ever please everybody😃

I believe you refer to the Jean M. Ryan dance troop who we also saw on Riviera in the last few years and were most unimpressed. We felt this group's talent overall far surpassed that team. We did not experience any sound issues. So, as you say, what we see as good entertainment is very subjective and I believe the change was made not due to budget cuts, but because this group is seen as an improvement. At least on our cruise everyone we spoke with felt they were far better. But no one can ever please everybody

Certainly we happily can agree to disagree! Sound was a problem for two of their shows; there was so much static from the miking in one that many of us walked out. It literally was hurting my ears! I felt so bad for these young people who practice so hard for our enjoyment and then get sabotaged by sound problems.

Also we very much missed the ballroom dance couple that previously always were on Riviera.

Edited by CintiPam

Entertainment can be hit or miss at the best of times

the Jean Ann Ryan groups depended on who was in that group at the time

we have seen 2 different groups do the same show

one was good one was so so

We did enjoy Lovena Fox on our May cruise but we had also seen her on Princess ..a good performer IMO

all things are subjective to your personal tastes

LOL....had a feeling I still had the name wrong. Not sure where I got the "M":). In any case, that's so true. I remember once they switched people out mid cruise and it made a big difference.

As for the sound issues, that would definitely ruin the night, but it's not the performers' fault. I think I did mention that there was one singer who really wasn't good alone, but sounded fine with others. Who knows why we liked them all so much? Maybe our advanced years are a factor:)

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I believe you refer to the Jean M. Ryan dance troop who we also saw on Riviera in the last few years and were most unimpressed. We felt this group's talent overall far surpassed that team. We did not experience any sound issues. So, as you say, what we see as good entertainment is very subjective and I believe the change was made not due to budget cuts, but because this group is seen as an improvement. At least on our cruise everyone we spoke with felt they were far better. But no one can ever please everybody😃

Over the years Oceania has gotten very poor marks for entertainment and I saw no improvement on our Feb. cruise.

Over the years Oceania has gotten very poor marks for entertainment and I saw no improvement on our Feb. cruise.

I posted above because I felt that on my previous three Riviera cruises in the past two years that there was a substantial improvement in the production shows but a huge step backward this time.

That being said, apart from the service problems I attributed to the Noro sanitizing, I thought the food, particularly in the MDR, was much better both in taste and variety offered. MDR had gotten very bland/vanilla in its offerings IMO. For example, chocolate molten lava cake not offered nightly this time with only a change of name on the menu!

Edited by CintiPam

Does anyone else have a problem with the volume of the singing.

To us it is way too loud and at times I cover to ears to mute it to an acceptable level.

I don't like doing that as it looks rude but....

I also find the band around the pool too loud. Am I getting old :(...only in our mid 50s!

It's just not you! DH and I also thought the music too loud. I am late 50's. I had my ear buds on and playing music from my iPad. Could still hear the music of that being played around the pool, from the top deck, forward. Couldn't think to read!

QUOTE=CintiPam;49462975]Heather, entertainment certainly must be another of those subjective areas. I thought the large group production shows certainly took a big step back in February on Riviera from the excellent ones we enjoyed the last two years when the Jeri Ryan company was employed. Both dancing and singing (particularly the men) were very weak and the sound system was so bad that one night the lead singer's mike did not work at all. A hand held one finally appeared which really messed up the accompanying dancing.

We had the same experience as Pam. Walked out after the sound system was hitting decimals that were screeching! The singers and dancers were poor. Dancers not coordinated and one singer off tune. Could it have been because of the illness? Yes... perhaps some were sick and substitutes were in place. But the sound problems were equipment failures. I think that is what Pam meant about cutbacks. Maybe they replaced or repaired the system during those two days in Miami.

Edited by Iamthesea