Any biting insects this time of year?

Cabogirl13

Leaving on the Emerald on Monday (out of FLL) with stops at Grand Turk & Princess Cays. Are we going to need to bring any insect repellent with us for this time of year in that area? Anyone recently in the area that can provide feedback would be great (or with historical knowledge for this area and time of year). Thanks!!

Leaving on the Emerald on Monday (out of FLL) with stops at Grand Turk & Princess Cays. Are we going to need to bring any insect repellent with us for this time of year in that area? Anyone recently in the area that can provide feedback would be great (or with historical knowledge for this area and time of year). Thanks!!

Couple of live from threads on the Emerald right now. Why not ask them?

You're definitely going to want it at Princess Cays (we were just there Sunday) and if you're doing something other than water activities (like snorkeling), you'll want it across the Caribbean.

They are always around.

Leaving on the Emerald on Monday (out of FLL) with stops at Grand Turk & Princess Cays. Are we going to need to bring any insect repellent with us for this time of year in that area? Anyone recently in the area that can provide feedback would be great (or with historical knowledge for this area and time of year). Thanks!![/quote

Yes. Take repellent with deet it works.

Tony

If you're in the beach areas, you should be fine. If you venture afield, I'd bring some bug spray along. We did. Really didn't need it as we did mostly beach hops, but doesn't hurt to have it on hand.

If you're in the beach areas, you should be fine. If you venture afield, I'd bring some bug spray along. We did. Really didn't need it as we did mostly beach hops, but doesn't hurt to have it on hand.

What he said. We were just on the Emerald Princess in Princess Cays last week. We did dune buggy adventure tour. On the stop, we were visiting an old Lighthouse and I got eaten alive by 'biting midges.' I'm still suffering. Let me be the cautionary tale: Put On the Off!:o

We were on the Emerald - Western route 2 weeks ago. Didn't see any mosquitos on Princess Cays (on the beach) nor in Grand Cayman, Roatan, or Cozumel, but we were at the beaches in all stops. No sand fleas either - maybe we were just lucky! We brought along repellent (we use a picardin one, more effective than DEET) but never even used it. Be prepared but don't be scared.

Checked Consumer Reports for the best rated repellents. "Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent Lotion" and "Repel Lemon Eucalyptus" scored the highest in their tests overall. These were the top two and were "natural" repellents. There was also "Repel Scented Family" with DEET, "Natural 8 Hour" with picaridin, and then "OFF" with DEET.

I have no experience with any of these except for OFF. We used it a couple of years ago in Maine. It worked OK, however, we still had a fair number of bites (probably not a successful endever to try to combat the state bird of Maine...:rolleyes:). Anyway, always do your own due diligence with this stuff.

In my experience, mosquitoes are always a problem no matter where you are located unless the weather is below freezing.

Good luck repelling the "biting insects".

YMMV