Amsterdam News

bobpatj

I just got an email from a passenger on the Amsterdam, that we will not be going to Bali, but will have an extra day in Perth, Australia. I'm very disappointed since we'd booked a very interesting tour, in Bali, and had to get an Indonesian visa. I guess the safety of the passengers and crew is most important. Oh well.....:mad:

Also think about the disappointment of the Amsterdam's crew that are from Bali.

In 2002, when the Volendam had to miss Bali, one of my most vivid memories is the look on the faces of some of the crew as we sailed by the Island. What even made it worse were the many small boats that had sailed out from Bali to meet the ship as we sailed by. There were so many that the ship's horn had to be sounded repeatedly, maybe as a greeting to them, maybe to warn them to steer clear of the ship.

In 2002, Broome, Australia was the substitute port; it was a delight and most of us passengers enjoyed it. I thought maybe they might stop there again if Bali was going to be missed.

In spite of missing Bali, as disappointing as that is, I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

Also think about the disappointment of the Amsterdam's crew that are from Bali.

In 2002, when the Volendam had to miss Bali, one of my most vivid memories is the look on the faces of some of the crew as we sailed by the Island. What even made it worse were the many small boats that had sailed out from Bali to meet the ship as we sailed by. There were so many that the ship's horn had to be sounded repeatedly, maybe as a greeting to them, maybe to warn them to steer clear of the ship.

In 2002, Broome, Australia was the substitute port; it was a delight and most of us passengers enjoyed it. I thought maybe they might stop there again if Bali was going to be missed.

In spite of missing Bali, as disappointing as that is, I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

So sorry to hear that you will be missing Bali. But with everything that has happened there in recent weeks, HAL is making a wise decision for the passengers safety. But unfortuneately for the crew - it is sad news as so many had hoped to visit family if only for a an hour or so or just to call them.

I'm so sorry also to learn that you will not be stopping in Bali, but it certainly seems like a wise decision given the political turmoil at this time.

I know that the Indonesian crew are going to be so disappointed and many have mentioned those from Bali, but there are some from different islands whose families had planned to fly to Bali to see them after so many months apart. My "Indonesian Son" is amongst those and I feel so bad for him. He was so looking forward to seeing his family after about 10 months apart and this is the second time this has happened to him - the last time it was on a Prinsendam cruise a couple of years ago.

I used to have a friend who was originally from Perth - our lives went in different directions and we lost touch with each other - but as I understand it Perth is a beautiful city. It is much slower paced than Sydney and has a "British" feel to it - somewhat like Christchurch in New Zealand. I'm sure that you will still have a sensational cruise and like Ruth C. I too would give my eye teeth to be on that cruise.

Have a wonderful time.

Valerie

My thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts. I, too, feel so sorry for the Indonesian crew who had plans to visit their families.

For those of you who may have had a similar experience, is there any thing we can do about our now "useless" Indonesian visa? HAL required it and we followed through. Is it possible to send back a visa for a refund? I've never seen this addressed, before. Thanks. :confused:

Hello Pat,

Those of us who were on the 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise had a different situation with regard to obtaining visas for that cruise than apparently the 2005 passengers experienced. At that time, HAL had a "visa lady" and she took care of obtaining all the necessary visas for the passengers. We did not have to do this on our own.

I doubt very much that one could return the visa for a refund. You might want to contact Customer Service or Ship Services in Seattle--or even maybe the Mariner Society office might be able to help or direct your question to the appropriate person--and see what they might suggest.

I join this cruise in Singapore on November 6. As of yesterday (Friday, 10/14) my TA didn't know about this change. She called HAL in Seattle and they were unaware of such a change. If this change is being made (or has been made) why the secret??? What is HAL trying to hide? The cruise is sold out so new bookings can't be the reason. Does anyone know for sure what is going on?????

jowahe,

Yes, the cancellation of Bali and the subtitution of another day in Perth is a definite. I just received an e-mail from a passenger on the Amsterdam and he said that they received a letter from the Captain stating the change in plans. I imagine whomever your travel agent spoke with in Seattle simply was not informed.

Visas, once issued, are non-refundable. On the 2005 world cruise, Hal said we could order our Visas ahead of time or obtain them onboard for $20 each. The visa service would have been at least 3 or 4 times that amount. The catch is, that you MUST have an Indonesian Visa before entering Indonesian ports, even if you plan to stay on the ship. We had to sign a form stating that we would be put off the ship prior to arrival in Bali and any further arrangements would be at our own expense.

Visas, once issued, are non-refundable.

Thank you for this information, Grumpy1. I was planning to e-mail the visa service company to ask if refunds could be made. It seems such a waste of money.:mad: Oh well.

Jowahe:

You're are the first poster I've seen who is also taking the Singapore to

San Diego half of the cruise. I posted on the Roll Call board with people taking the full trip and am glad to know that we're not the only ones boarding in Singapore. Your TA should have received a fax from HAL, by now. Our TA mailed the fax to us. It lists the new and old schedule. The HAL website has not shown shore excursions for the first day in Perth, so far.

Visas, once issued, are non-refundable.

Thank you for this information, Grumpy1. I was planning to e-mail the visa service company to ask if refunds could be made. It seems such a waste of money.:mad: Oh well.

Jowahe:

You are the first poster I've seen who is also taking the Singapore to

San Diego half of the cruise. I posted on the Roll Call board with people taking the full trip and am glad to know that we're not the only ones boarding in Singapore. Your TA should have received a fax from HAL, by now. Our TA mailed the fax to us. It lists the new and old schedule. The HAL website has not shown shore excursions for the first day in Perth, so far.

Archived