Unrest closes French side of St. Maarten 03-10-16

audome78

Oh no I already paid for 3 of us to parasail on Orient beach on March 25 th...that will be a bummer if we can't go.....

I wouldn't worry- just as the French are quick to demonstrate and go on strike, they also have fairly short attention spans, so this flail will be history in two weeks. Of course, a whole new problem could emerge by then.

I wouldn't worry- just as the French are quick to demonstrate and go on strike, they also have fairly short attention spans, so this flail will be history in two weeks. Of course, a whole new problem could emerge by then.

Yeah...this looks to be something that will come and go pretty quickly, especially since the authorities are both aware and active in resolving things.

Yeah...this looks to be something that will come and go pretty quickly, especially since the authorities are both aware and active in resolving things.

Hoping so Orient is one of our favorite beaches & one reason we booked this sailing. Hopefully it will be resolved way before our sailing.

We will be there a week from today! Hopefully, everything will be cleared up. We stayed a week on the Island several years ago, in Marigot, and were planning to take a bus or taxi there. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

With the French side not available the Dutch side will be a total zoo.

Probably, many cruisers will stay on the ship for that port stop.

That hasn't been the case so far...even with 4 ships in port midweek when this was going on...things should become clearer this week.

My that would make the Dutch side a mad house.

When is the Dutch side NOT a madhouse...

We are just in St Maarten this past week and stayed in Phillipsburg for the day. No problems at all but the beach was much more crowded than usual. There was one family that made it back to the ship just in time after venturing to the French side, and were rushed back in a police car to be back in time!

We just came back from St. Maarten yesterday. We stayed in Grand Case (french side) two weekends ago before our cruise out of Philipsburg for a week. All was still normal at that time. When we came back (Saturday), we had a hotel in Philipsburg and were renting a car and the hotel manager told us that the french side was now opened. Keep in mind that we were on a cruise ship that had little news (Wind Surf) and we had no idea there was any problem at all while we were gone, so hearing that the french side was now opened just seemed strange. But yes, by Saturday, everything was back to normal and we drove back and forth from both sides just as we had been able to the weekend before. So yes, it was a short lived problem and all those moving forward on this island should be all set, unless a completely different incident comes about. But this one is all settled down. Enjoy the island. It's a great one.

We just came back from St. Maarten yesterday. We stayed in Grand Case (french side) two weekends ago before our cruise out of Philipsburg for a week. All was still normal at that time. When we came back (Saturday), we had a hotel in Philipsburg and were renting a car and the hotel manager told us that the french side was now opened. Keep in mind that we were on a cruise ship that had little news (Wind Surf) and we had no idea there was any problem at all while we were gone, so hearing that the french side was now opened just seemed strange. But yes, by Saturday, everything was back to normal and we drove back and forth from both sides just as we had been able to the weekend before. So yes, it was a short lived problem and all those moving forward on this island should be all set, unless a completely different incident comes about. But this one is all settled down. Enjoy the island. It's a great one.

We are on Anthem of the seas in April and Plan on going to Rainbow Cafe on Grand Case Beach...Any tips you can provide on Grand Case would be greatly Appreciated...thank you

We are on Anthem of the seas in April and Plan on going to Rainbow Cafe on Grand Case Beach...Any tips you can provide on Grand Case would be greatly Appreciated...thank you

Our hotel was actually just a few doors down from Rainbow Cafe and we had dinner there the first night. They had a Prime Rib for two dinner that we got and everything was wonderful. The service was top notch and we had a table on the porch, overlooking the water which had a wonderful breeze and great atmosphere.

Grand Case is a cute little town with a lot of highly rated restaurants. It's said that Grand Case actually has some of the best restaurants in the entire Caribbean and every one we talked to had an amazing experience at any restaurant they chose. At night, this area comes alive, but chances are, you will just be there during the day....although I don't know the times for Anthem. Have a great time on your cruise and enjoy Grand Case. The beach is a pleasant one to walk along as well. Enjoy!

Onboard Freedom today. There is a strike going on over on the French side of the island and no travel is permitted into that side. All excursions that required driving to the French side ( like Orient Beach), have been cancelled.

All guests were strongly advised by the captain to avoid trying to get there on their own.

As a result, the beach on the Boardwalk in Phillipsburg is an absolute zoo.

Evidently, the protests started yesterday and the roads are actually blocked by the protesters to prevent travel.

Bummer, I'm going next week. I was so looking forward to my day at Orient Beach :( Maybe it will be better by 25th. I hope so.

THanks for the warning.

lisa

Hi, I think we will be on Freedom of the seas next week together...Do you think we will be able to get to Orient beach and back? I'm a bit concerned. May try to come up with another plan for the day. You?

Lisa

Good morning! I don't see anything posted in the St. Maartin News this morning about on-going problems' date=' so I'm hoping everything has settled down. We will be there next Thursday.[/quote']

We'll be there next thursday also, are you on Freedom of the seas? I hope to go back to Orient beach. Was there last year, 3rd time, love it.

Lisa from Jacksonville, FL Have you heard anything today? Strange that the cruise line has not contacted us to tell us about this.??

Bummer, I'm going next week. I was so looking forward to my day at Orient Beach :( Maybe it will be better by 25th. I hope so.

THanks for the warning.

lisa

As I stated earlier...this was a short lived problem. I was there before and after the strike. It was resolved the weekend before we left the island on the 13th. All is fine and you will have a great time at Orient. Enjoy your time there.

So with all the folks there this week - any change to the conditions of the "strike"???

Are things back to "normal" on the French side?

They were back to normal BEFORE I even left there. I left on the 13th and this was just a short problem during the middle of the week. All was back to normal in a few days so the weekend, we were back to driving all over the french side.

They were back to normal BEFORE I even left there. I left on the 13th and this was just a short problem during the middle of the week. All was back to normal in a few days so the weekend, we were back to driving all over the french side.

THANK YOU for reporting back on your update.

I don't know that "all is back to normal" is totally accurate. I read in the online version of the local newspaper that progress was made and another meeting of the people involved was due late this week. Things could revert, or not, pure spectulation on my part, but with about 40 days to go, I can afford to watch.