Barcelona

djg541

We just received our boarding passes for our April 24 Eurodam Barcelona-Venice cruise.

We're staying at the Hotel Presidente pre cruise via HAL.

I was wondering if anyone had stayed here and could comment?

I also have read that Barcelona is known for pickpockets in tourist areas.Any comments?

Im aware this can happen in any tourist area almost anywhere,but Barcelona seems to have a bad rap on that topic.

Thanks

Edited by djg541
typo

Can offer no help on the hotel (someone here will or maybe the ports board). But, as we prepare for our visit to Barcelona, we are getting repeated warnings from shorex folks about caution being advised re: pickpockets.

We will carry nothing non-essential when we are off the ship (ship card in lanyard around my neck and inside my shirt) ... and, when we go to the airport (we have an overnight on the ship in Barcelona) we will pack everything in our locked carry-on bag and get out only what we need at the airport.

You can't be too careful. Have a great trip.

Cheers!

Pick pocket warnings come mainly on the large and lively pedestrian Las Ramblas where their are lots of distractions, crowds and photo ops. Raising your arms to take a photo is often the perfect unguarded moment to be hit, so be aware.

We walked this many times with all due precautions and never had a problem other than getting hassled by the frozen statue mime if you dare try to take a picture "for free". All of Spain has hit a rough spot economically so be cautious about petty crimes.

But it is a wonderful city with tons of charms and highly walkable well into the late hours. Enjoy, but lock down and button up.

Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit. We stayed on Las Ramblas, north end; took the bus from the airport, very easy.

To help protect against pickpockets we wore pants and shirts/jackets with zippered pockets; kept passports and essential cash on our person and secured - our pants have zippered cargo pockets on the mid-leg. I keep my wallet in a zippered pocket (lower shirt pocket) pinned on a spooling cord that can be pulled out when needed - not in Barcelona, but I had it knocked out of my hand once, but it stayed with me! I used to use a belt-loop-secured inside-the-pants security pouch but I find the spooling lanyard pinned inside my shirt or jacket pocket much easier.

Just be aware of your stuff, luggage, totes, cameras, etc. and enjoy Barcelona. The metro is very easy to use, plus it has elevators or escalators for luggage; we used it to get down to the port bus (to go through the port to the cruise ships terminal) but you will likely have paid transfers. m--

Barcelona does have that rep:

1. Barcelona

2. Prague

3. Rome

4. Madrid

5. Paris

6. Buenos Aires

7. Florence

8. Amsterdam

9. Hanoi

10. Athens

I wear a money belt and we try to dress (a) not worth robbing and (b) not American tourist (no shorts, baseball cap, white shoes)

I was in Barcelona in November for a one-day port stop and wasn't even aware that crime was a problem. Of course, it was during the day, but we wandered around Las Ramblas, stopped for food and wine a number of times and didn't even think to protect our purses and valuables any more than we subconsciously do. I'll be back there next month and I'll be more aware, but I'm not intimidated.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona about six years ago -- they are very good. I had my purse over my shoulder and zipped (mostly under my arm), yet they were able to get into the bag and take my wallet without attracting my attention.

DO take precautions. Leave what you don't need in your hotel (especially an extra credit card, your passport, any cash you don't need that day, etc.) but DON'T let it put you off Barcelona. If your belongings are secured, you have little to worry about other than enjoying the city.

P.S. I was not on Las Ramblas when the pickpocket struck; I was near the Picasso Museum.

Edited by cruisemom42

We just booked the May 30th cruise on the Eurodam that begins in Barcelona. Just today I changed our flight to arrive a day early so we can see the city. I appreciate this thread and would appreciate any comments after you have returned! We haven't booked a hotel yet so welcome advice there as well.

My wife is so excited about the cruise that it is hard to focus on other things!

Kevin

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona about six years ago -- they are very good. I had my purse over my shoulder and zipped (mostly under my arm), yet they were able to get into the bag and take my wallet without attracting my attention.

DO take precautions. Leave what you don't need in your hotel (especially an extra credit card, your passport, any cash you don't need that day, etc.) but DON'T let it put you off Barcelona. If your belongings are secured, you have little to worry about other than enjoying the city.

P.S. I was not on Las Ramblas when the pickpocket struck; I was near the Picasso Museum.

Dang Cynthia, if it can happen to you it can happen to anyone.

We have been many times, never had a problem but have seen pickpockets chased by others.

We just booked Venice to Barcelona for Oct.2016. Mt question is : since the ship docks at 12:00, will we be able to see some sites ? It is an overnight.

Our plane departs at 12:45 the next day. Can you do anything before transport to the airport? Is there a short tour on way to the airport?

So far all transfers are for flights after 3:00. I was wondering should I get a later flight. Booked all through HAL.

Edited by Cqis

I'd say it depends on your travel style.

The day you arrive by ship at noon you should be able to see quite a bit in Barcelona, into the evening depending on when you can pack.

How you sightsee is up to you - the Metro is easy to use, there are taxis too. Have Euros. Las Ramblas is easy to walk even over to the Picasso museum. Metro can take you to La Sagrada (Gaudi's church).

The day you leave the ship for the 12:45 flight you will not have time to sightsee, you'll want to get to the airport by 10:45 and I'd allow an extra hour for an international flight so 9:45. If you want to change flights to do a tour that would be a good way to see whatever they have on their tour list of stops, if they interest you. They will take care of your luggage on the bus - tour plus to the airport.

Check out the ports forum. Happy planning. m--

Thanks.

We pack light, and fast. I think we can see what we are interested in that day. My"Other" is a carpenter, so you know what we will be interested in seeing. Really THANKS, this has been a great help in our planning.

We just booked Venice to Barcelona for Oct.2016. Mt question is : since the ship docks at 12:00, will we be able to see some sites ? It is an overnight.

Our plane departs at 12:45 the next day. Can you do anything before transport to the airport? Is there a short tour on way to the airport?

So far all transfers are for flights after 3:00. I was wondering should I get a later flight. Booked all through HAL.

We had the tour company pick us up at the port and then take us on a half-day tour of Barcelona. It was a wonderful day and covered quite a few places. They can then bring you back to the port for your overnight. I also don't think you'll have time for sightseeing before your flight. Hope this works out for you.

Helen

Edited by helenpsl

We just booked the May 30th cruise on the Eurodam that begins in Barcelona. Just today I changed our flight to arrive a day early so we can see the city. I appreciate this thread and would appreciate any comments after you have returned! We haven't booked a hotel yet so welcome advice there as well.

My wife is so excited about the cruise that it is hard to focus on other things!

Kevin

My bold, addressing hotel in Barcelona....

There will be recommendations on the ports forum... but I will mention where we stayed on Las Ramblas - not fancy but nice for us....

Hotel Lloret at the north end of Las Ramblas, less than 2 minutes walk from the airport bus stop, almost directly across form the Metro stop, just a few feet from the front door.

It is a very small hotel, rooms are small but our double with 2 twin beds and private bath was quite adequate for us for one night; at about 90 Euro, included a basic breakfast of breads, cheese, meats, cereals, yogurt, beverages - didn't need a huge breakfast on our way tot he ship. Plus it had an elevator! which made it easy to get our luggage up to and down from our room; very friendly staff who spoke very good English, nice suggestions for places for dinner within walking distance but off Las Ramblas for better food, better prices. I'd love to go back again... we loved having our breakfast at the little tables for two out on the little balconies next to the breakfast room overlooking Las Ramblas.

It's not fancy and I'm sure you'll get recommendations for fancier places but it worked for us and we are value seekers. We booked it directly on-line, a little cheaper than form booking . com which is how I usually book our rooms.

Hope you find what suits you. m--

Barcelona is a beautiful city.

But pickpockets here are more prevalent then some (not all but some) places.

Do not walk around with valuables or passports.

Use a travel purse/wallet.

Hold your camera closely to you.

And just be observant of your surroundings.

Keith

We loved Barcelona the first time; so much so that we are going back again this fall. The one thing I wanted to mention when booking a hotel - often when the rooms are "double" it means just that, a double bed, (54") not a queen or a king. We found that by asking for a "twin" room with two single beds, although we weren't on the same bed, we had more sleeping space per person. I know not all European hotels are the same, but wanted to give you that info.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Lets add Naples to the list. Within a 200 yards of the ship. If you get picked don't mess around looking for the police, get on the phone and cancel the cards ! The police know where they are. We had thousands of dollars charged within a half hour. Remember every card you carry will be worthless in 10 minutes. One person picked it but there might be 10 involved. Don't carry your wife's cards. That gets you in real trouble. Maybe only take 1 card off the ship, maybe none. Maybe a copy of your passport, won't need your drivers license. The ship board staff was great ! Some banks will get you a new card three ports ahead. My local, credit union, customer service bank took two weeks after I got home, 6 weeks total. Second day of a 25 day cruise with no money or credit sucks. Luckily HAL had a bad one on file. :) And I had Explorer 4 !

Some banks will get you a new card three ports ahead. My local, credit union, customer service bank took two weeks after I got home, 6 weeks total. Second day of a 25 day cruise with no money or credit sucks. Luckily HAL had a bad one on file. :) And I had Explorer 4 !

That's why I love American Express. Twice I had to cancel a card (1 pickpocket, 1 restaurant skimmer) and both times Amex got me a replacement within 24 hours - 1 in the US and the other in Europe.

Thanks to all for your input. We'll be sure to keep those tips in mind.

We'll only be in Barcelona a half day before embarking so probably wont get to see a lot of the city and i'm sure the time lag factor will keep us subdued somewhat.

I guess no ones stayed at the Hotel Presidente as no one commented on it.

Given prior pre night stays via HAL i'm sure it will be fine.

Again,thank you for your comments all.

D

I guess no ones stayed at the Hotel Presidente as no one commented on it.

Given prior pre night stays via HAL i'm sure it will be fine.

Again,thank you for your comments all.

D

For hotels in Europe, I always check TripAdvisor for reviews. I find that TA reviews are better than the other review sites.

I spent 3 weeks in Barcelona and only had 1 run in with someone trying to steal my purse. You always want to have your purse where you can see it. They will try to steal it if it's on the ground or next to you. We had someone try to throw a pamphlet on our table to distract us. We were having lunch outside. I knew what was coming. I grabbed my purse and gave the woman a stare. I could see her partner walking towards me on the street. They work in groups, so just be aware.

I'm not one for fanny packs or hidden pouches. I've always carried small, very nice purses - Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Burberry. I bring purses that can't be sliced into easily and I they are always tucked under my arm. I only bring what's absolutely necessary - one card, cash and copies of my passport. I mix it all in with my girly stuff without a wallet (wrapped in a rubber band), so even if they try to root around, they most likely grab lip gloss first!

After spending a summer a few years ago as a Marshall Fellow (5 counties) and many vacation trips to Europe, I've never been pick Pocketed. I just stay on my toes and am observant. I go out every night to restaurants bars, have shopped a ton and taken thousands of photos. When people approach you, know that it's probably a scam and kindly move on.

I love Barca and can't wait to go there again this summer for our cruise. We will be doing the same Barcelona to Venice cruise on the Eurodam. We are arriving 4 days early to see our old friends in Barca and staying an extra 18 days in Italy and France.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do not put your cell phone on a table at an outdoor restaurant. Watch out for dishonest cabbies too. We usually ride the bus or subway to avoid them altogether.

The police are supposedly crooked too. Do not know about that.