Should I book a balcony on Northern Baltic cruise?

JC168

Just booked a a Northern Baltic cruise for 2017 last month. However a few of my friends said that I should have booked a balcony instead of inside cabin. After looking into the fare, it does increase quite a bit. Therefore should I upgrade for the balcony view?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just booked a a Northern Baltic cruise for 2017 last month. However a few of my friends said that I should have booked a balcony instead of inside cabin. After looking into the fare, it does increase quite a bit. Therefore should I upgrade for the balcony view?

It depends on you really.

For myself, absolutely. There is a lot to see on those itineraries and we enjoy settling down on the balcony to enjoy the view without having to try to find a good place in the public areas, or having to worry about people getting in your way if sitting down.

But the view is there elsewhere on the ship. I assume you are talking about the Jade, which has some good public viewing areas. If you don't plan on being in your room as much, and don't mind possibly having to find a space to see the views than you will be fine.

We love having a balcony, and are rarely cold, so spend a lot of time on ours regardless of the destination. We don't drink, gamble, smoke or swim, so when we're on the ship, much of our free time is spent on the balcony.

However, the Baltic cruise is really port intensive, with only 2 sea days (one of which is after the Berlin day, which is a long day if you're planning on going all the way to Berlin, and the other is the last day of the cruise, after 5 days in port) so depending on how you spend your leisure time, it might not be worth the extra money, especially if you're going to splash out on excursions.

I just noticed you said Baltic. I was thinking about Norway for some reason.

Other than the sail in to Stockholm, which the Getaway probably won't do anyway, this is not a notable cruise for scenery. No special reason why this cruise should need a balcony over any other itinerary.

Edited by KeithJenner

Your money situation and your personality. If you hate being with strangers, book a balcony. Personally, I love to meet people out on deck or in the public areas. You may meet some really interesting and memorable people that way. I would vote for no balcony unless you are floating in money.

I'd go with a balcony if you can swing it, but I wouldn't pay the current balcony rate. Instead, book a cabin you could live with, and hope to upgrade later closer to sailing. We sailed the Baltic itinerary the first week in Sept 2015. We booked an oceanview we could live with at a rate could live with. 7 days before sailing we paid $120pp to upgrade to a balcony. Personally, I think it would be nice to at least have a window just to be able to look out as you're getting ready for your day. On the other hand, had the Star had studio cabins like the Getaway, that may have been another story. I may have done without the window or balcony for a cabin to myself.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable input. I may just wait till the last minute and see if I can get an upgrade for a deal. Currently paying close to $2,000 to upgrade seems too high. Just thought about the balcony since some friends been to the Baltic cruise said that the view is spectacular. Personally most of my cruises were inside and I have no problem with it.