potty trained infant

torcruise

One of the side issues not discussed here is the human tendency for others to see this 1 yr old in the pool and think, well he's there, why not my kid?

This copy cat or imitation behavior has no bearing on whether the OP's baby is indeed toilet trained. Other parents might not want their kid to miss out. After all, if that one is in the pool, and he looks younger than mine, mine should go in also.

And we all know that Carnival staff are not consistent when enforcing or ignoring rules.

What you called potty trained, we call elimination communication. It happens here but those parents are better than me because I just use diapers, haha.

Not better. All kids do things at a different pace. And there have been some studies by pediatric urologists that say potty training too early can actually cause harm to their bladder which leads to problems down the road.

Not better. All kids do things at a different pace. And there have been some studies by pediatric urologists that say potty training too early can actually cause harm to their bladder which leads to problems down the road.

There's no right answer.

Disposable diapered kids seem to train later because they never feel uncomfortable. Cloth diapered kids potty train earlier because they don't want to be wet or dirty.

Elimination Communication sounds like parent training, not kid training.

Edited by SadieN

I'm sailing on the Carnival pride in April with my 1 year old son who is potty trained. I know it is rare in America for babies to be potty trained but it is common in Ghana. I was wonder if they will let him in the pool since he is potty trained?

No worries. Lots of babies in hot tubes with diapers on. See it every cruise.

What OP has described is interesting and, I think, advanced for the childs age but is not what I would consider potty trained / safe for pools.

I simply cannot grasp the need to be potty trained by 1. Doesn't that interfere with the normal growth and development rates that nature intended?

I simply cannot grasp the need to be potty trained by 1. Doesn't that interfere with the normal growth and development rates that nature intended?

Exactly. I guess trying to be superior to Western cultures. Seems unnecessary to me. We all learn in due time, and no one onboard will believe the child is potty trained. Unfortunately people put non potty trained kids in the pools and splash areas all of the time, so she won't be alone.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Pseudomonas Folliculitis....caused by contaminated hot tub water...if you have ever had it I can guarantee you would not want to see a baby in a hot tub...I will never get in another public hot tub again....but to each their own...not judging anyone but I would also not know your child was not in diapers anymore.

Exactly. I guess trying to be superior to Western cultures. Seems unnecessary to me. We all learn in due time, and no one onboard will believe the child is potty trained. Unfortunately people put non potty trained kids in the pools and splash areas all of the time, so she won't be alone.

I agree but I do think it's a lot of parents in general that feel the need to be better. Some are quick to say how early their child started walking, talking, sitting, eating as if that somehow determines how intelligent they are.

Some kids do things later and that's ok. It has no relevance on how smart they are later in life.

that is an odd thing to say. African culture is older than western cultures. I believe infant potty training is part of Asian culture also. It's not about superior, I think it's just the way its done, I'm guessing due to the lifestyle in Africa is very different. Do you not understand culture?

I agree but I do think it's a lot of parents in general that feel the need to be better. Some are quick to say how early their child started walking, talking, sitting, eating as if that somehow determines how intelligent they are.

Some kids do things later and that's ok. It has no relevance on how smart they are later in life.

it's just culture :confused: you train your kids to use a diaper we train ours to use a pot.

that is an odd thing to say. African culture is older than western cultures. I believe infant potty training is part of Asian culture also. It's not about superior, I think it's just the way its done, I'm guessing due to the lifestyle in Africa is very different. Do you not understand culture?

It's not odd. Just my opinion. And it's not about the age of your or anyone else's culture or me understanding "culture" whatever that means. Regardless, my opinion is that it seems unnecessary to gear babies towards potty training that early. That's a position born from how I was raised having a father with his own set of beliefs. In particular about potty training. As an educator and counselor he never believed in the notion of kids needing to do things as early as possible. I also said that nobody would believe your child at that age is potty trained and therefore you might get dirty looks but not to worry, because you won't be alone as many parents put small children in the pools and splash areas. And trust me, they are not potty trained.

So that's the long version of what I said. Thanks.

It's not odd. Just my opinion. And it's not about the age of your or anyone else's culture or me understanding "culture" whatever that means. Regardless, my opinion is that it seems unnecessary to gear babies towards potty training that early. That's a position born from how I was raised having a father with his own set of beliefs. In particular about potty training. As an educator and counselor he never believed in the notion of kids needing to do things as early as possible. I also said that nobody would believe your child at that age is potty trained and therefore you might get dirty looks but not to worry, because you won't be alone as many parents put small children in the pools and splash areas. And trust me, they are not potty trained.

So that's the long version of what I said. Thanks.

everyone culture is different I'm sure Europeans and Americans did the same in the past. American potty training age increases thou out history. If you look at Africa we are not as modern as American and still do things the "old way" I think as recent as the 50"s Americans where potty training before 1 years old

it's just culture :confused: you train your kids to use a diaper we train ours to use a pot.

Love the answer! I say go, have fun, and don't worry about what others think. Reality is that most people are not really watching you or talking about you if you put your kid in the pool.

As for others questioning why she has her kid potty trained at an early age, that is her business. Quoting doctors and telling her that her child will have problems down the road is just rude. Years ago the American culture was to have your kids potty trained as soon as possible because of the labor of washing diapers but with the disposables we have become a lazier nation with potty training and have the mind set that whatever a doctor says is the law. So going with the comment that someone made of having to wait to potty train or you will have incontinent issues down the road is funny. Disposables became the norm around 35 years ago, so that is saying that anyone from an earlier generation or 35 years or older can't hold their bladder. So in conclusion, I am staying out of the Adult Pool. It has more pee then the lido pool.:D

Love the answer! I say go, have fun, and don't worry about what others think. Reality is that most people are not really watching you or talking about you if you put your kid in the pool.

As for others questioning why she has her kid potty trained at an early age, that is her business. Quoting doctors and telling her that her child will have problems down the road is just rude. Years ago the American culture was to have your kids potty trained as soon as possible because of the labor of washing diapers but with the disposables we have become a lazier nation with potty training and have the mind set that whatever a doctor says is the law. So going with the comment that someone made of having to wait to potty train or you will have incontinent issues down the road is funny. Disposables became the norm around 35 years ago, so that is saying that anyone from an earlier generation or 35 years or older can't hold their bladder. So in conclusion, I am staying out of the Adult Pool. It has more pee then the lido pool.:D

Way to read into a simple statement. :rolleyes:

My comment was to someone that said they have a 20 month old still not potty trained and simply that some now say it might not be beneficial to potty train early. In what way was that rude? It wasn't.

I love how people here think if someone disagrees it is rude. How do you manage in real life when someone disagrees with your opinions. You must know a lot of rude people if that is the qualifier for being considered rude.

And yes I trust a doctor that went to years and years of school over some random person with no medical background.

Edited by BeachChik

It amazes me how quick people are to not only attack the OP for her cultures practice but to put our practices in the Western world as being so superior and the only right way. I am as red blooded American as they come but I have traveled all over the world. Instead of being critical I find these different practices extremely interesting. I think THIS is exactly the entitlement that Americans posses that make us laughable to the rest of the world. If you guys only knew how some of our beloved cruise staff REALLY feels about us you would not be so quick to make such silly demands. This is not about potty training anymore.... BTW OP.....take that baby in the pool with pride.....and it might be an age difference of opinions...I am right in the middle....but people...her question was no reason to attack. MINE might be!! I don't use the hottubs not because of the STERILE pee of babies...but adults!

no I said babies :confused:

You said it's rare in America for babies to be potty trained. You didn't say it's rare for babies to be potty trained *that early.* The way you worded it made it seem like we never potty train our kids at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

You said it's rare in America for babies to be potty trained. You didn't say it's rare for babies to be potty trained *that early.* The way you worded it made it seem like we never potty train our kids at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

sorry I meant babies, not toddlers

The health risk from diapered babies in the pool is from poop, not pee. Pee is sterile. And NO, I am not suggesting that it is acceptable to pee in the pool.

baby only poo once a day, if you don't like baby potty traing you won't want to hear about how we do that LOL:D