Livorno too Lucca

Beachlady53

Arriving in Livorno at the end of May on the Equinox. Would like to visit Lucca as we have been to Florence and would like to experience a different region. I welcome suggestions and feedback on best way to visit and things not to be missed.

Arriving in Livorno at the end of May on the Equinox. Would like to visit Lucca as we have been to Florence and would like to experience a different region. I welcome suggestions and feedback on best way to visit and things not to be missed.

We did an excursion from the NCL Epic in 2012 from Livorno that included Lucca and Pisa. It was excellent for both sites. We had been to Florence twice.

You can see Lucca in a couple of hours (add more for lunch).

We took the shuttle bus from the port into Livorno centre. We then crossed the road to get the bus to the train station. Before taking this bus, you need to purchase a ticket at the nearby newpaper kiosk. Just a few minutes on the bus and you are at the station. Trains are frequent to Lucca, via Pisa Centrale where you have to change. It may sound complicated but it was very easy. The station in Lucca is opposite the city walls and you can just wander around the streets and go up the high church towers for the views. We had lunch in the amphitheatre square, it was lovely to just sit and watch everyone. We then walked around the walls before heading back for the train. There are bikes to hire and 4 seater 'surreys' which are a bit of fun. It was a lovely day and on the way back we had plenty of time so we got off the train the stop before Pisa Centrale which is very near to the Field of Miracles. We had a quick walk round and headed to Pisa Centrale to take the train back to Livorno. We were tired but had a lovely time.

We do it yourself at some ports and I know that money can be saved that way. However, we like having a guide to facilitate our understanding of the sites we visit. Guidebooks have their limit. Also, going through train stations or riding on public buses can waste a lot of time.

Sometimes, when you add up the costs of taxi, train or bus and admissions to sites, the savings can be minor and the time you paid thousands of dollars for with the cruise and flights is gone.

We did a great excursion that included Lucca and Pisa. DW and I had been to Pisa over 20 years ago, but it was nice to return.

We are currently doing an eight day road trip in Tuscany and tonight we are staying in Lucca! We arrived late afternoon after driving from Siena via San Gimignano and Volterra with a quick stop to revisit Pisa.

Dronnygirl gives good advice regarding the practicalities of getting to Lucca on the train and although time can be saved by booking a private transfer, we enjoy travelling by public transport and experiencing the area as locals do, if possible.

Tomorrow we will spend until mid afternoon continuing to explore Lucca, before heading off for two days in the Cinque Terra - that's if our Fiat rental car can cope with the additional weight of our expanding waistlines from all the excellent local food and wines. Ciao.

We decided to visit Lucca on our port stop (in port 7a-7p). I would get off and head right there to spend as much time as you can there. As stated already, you take the cruise shuttle into town. You get a bus ticket from the Tabacchi shop and walk over the main sq to get to the train station.

We stopped in Pisa briefly and walked around the basilica and leaning tower for 20 min just to say we were there. Prob the most overrated place I've ever been! It was a 5 min walk from there to the train station (Pisa San Rossore).

Walking or bike riding the upper part of the Lucca wall is really nice. We decided on going up Guingi Tower however it was very hard for those afraid of heights since the stairs hug the sides and center of tower is open. (at least for me) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinigi_Tower

We were there on a Friday and the outdoor markets were all setup in the piazza.

Once you arrive in Lucca, get your return tickets so you already have them. You never know if there will be a line when you return and the train you want is arriving! I do remember the train heading back towards Pisa was very full, standing room only around 4 something. Lots of kids going home from school too.

The must see sights in Lucca are the Puccini Museum, the Antifearo (an old colloseum converted into a spectacular ROUND city square, and Tour Guinigi with the trees growing out of the top . Also hire bikes and ride them right around the top of the walls surrounding the old city .

Easy to do by train from Livorno Centrale via Pisa to Lucca with one change of trains in Pisa . Takes around 1 hour 20 minutes for the trip each way .