Is the dress code slightly different on Escape than other NCL ships?

CP3o

I thought I had if figured out, shorts allowed except specialty restaurants and Manhattan MDR.

But I just read a recent Escape Daily and figured I misunderstood....... It says "....shorts allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro..." at the bottom left of hours of operations page.

But under FAQs on website "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. "

https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

But I just read a recent Escape Daily and figured I misunderstood....... It says "....shorts allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro..." at the bottom left of hours of operations page.

Yes, folks should follow the ship-specific dress code in the Freestyle Dailies (which may vary on embarkation and the last night of the cruise). The Escape states "Dress Code: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro after 5:00 pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn".

That being said, while not required, most folks dress in "smart casual" when they are in other specialty restaurants, Supper Club, and the Manhattan Room.

Edited by BirdTravels

Bayamo and Le Bistro both allowed shorts last week. We wore pants but observed shorts in the atrium at Le Bistro. We ate in the atrium and saw many people arrive in shorts an they were given the option of eating in the atrium or changing if they wanted to eat inside. At Bayamo we observed shorts on people who were outside eating. I wore shorts to the supper club and had no problems. I would not get too excited either way about my observations. It may depend on the person doing check in.

I thought I had if figured out, shorts allowed except specialty restaurants and Manhattan MDR.

But under FAQs on website "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. "

https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Sounds like on at least some ships, they may be experimenting with relaxing the dress code in the aft MDR to allow shorts. They already allow this on embark day and the last night, so don't let this confuse you. I would just consult the Freestyle daily re the dress code for the Manhattan room when you board or ask someone there before dinner time.

Shorts are allowed in the specialties except as noted. It sounds like those who arrive in shorts are given the option of a Waterfront table at Bayamo or an atrium table at Le Bistro rather than have to change. The atrium tables are loud, more like sitting in a casual sidewalk cafe, and the waterfront tables can be windy and cold and only seat 4, so your party would be split up if more. No guarantee these options would even be available when you arrive. I'd just wear long pants and save yourself the trouble.

Bayamo and Le Bistro both allowed shorts last week. We wore pants but observed shorts in the atrium at Le Bistro. We ate in the atrium and saw many people arrive in shorts an they were given the option of eating in the atrium or changing if they wanted to eat inside. At Bayamo we observed shorts on people who were outside eating. I wore shorts to the supper club and had no problems. I would not get too excited either way about my observations. It may depend on the person doing check in.

Yes, it depends on who is checking-in the parties at the restaurants. The best advice to inexperienced (and experienced) cruisers is to take 15 seconds to review the dress code in the Freestyle Dailies (under the restaurant times) and follow it. That way you will never be embarrassed by being turned away at a podium or relegated to outside seating (if you don't want it).

Banning shorts anywhere is a bit silly anyway. Nice tailored dress shorts are often smarter than jeans. And what's the difference between a female showing knees and legs in a dress/skirt than a male wearing smart shorts? It should be at the discretion of the staff. If someone is attempting to enter a table service restaurant wearing swim shorts, vests etc then they are politely told to go change.

And to be honest, why does what someone else is wearing affect anyone else?

Edited by NCLfamily

I'll bring a couple pairs of khakis but I hope I don't have to use them. I agree. I'd wear nice short and a nice shirt with decent shoes at a land-based restaurant when going out on a Saturday night back home, so why wouldn't I on vacation? Steve Wynn was the one who relaxed the dress code in Las Vegas at resorts like the Mirage, saying, there are a lot of millionaires walking around this town in shorts and t-shirts.

Are there any formal nights on the NCL Escape? We are sailing in April and new to NCL. The website was not real clear on this as they said some people choose to dress up on one night. Thanks.

There are no formal nights on any NCL cruises. On Escape you will have a night called "Norwegian's Night Out" when some people choose to dress up. If you weren't on this forum, you'd probably have no clue that people dress up for this, since it isn't billed as a dress up night at all. You will see about the same % of people dressed up on any given night of your cruise, and that % will be small.

I'll bring a couple pairs of khakis but I hope I don't have to use them. I agree. I'd wear nice short and a nice shirt with decent shoes at a land-based restaurant when going out on a Saturday night back home, so why wouldn't I on vacation? Steve Wynn was the one who relaxed the dress code in Las Vegas at resorts like the Mirage, saying, there are a lot of millionaires walking around this town in shorts and t-shirts.

The only place I wear long pants is work. Period. I'll be damned if someone is going to force me to wear them on vacation.

And to be honest, why does what someone else is wearing affect anyone else?

I totally agree. Never can understand why people get upset when the trumpet player is playing one song while the rest of the band is off on a different tune. after all it is his trumpet and he paid for it.

That's ok. Just follow the dress code of the ship. You can eat and drink in almost all restaurants.

That won't be possible. I'm not bringing any long pants with me. Long pants are for work. So they will have to fine or penalize me.

That won't be possible. I'm not bringing any long pants with me. Long pants are for work. So they will have to fine or penalize me.

You're going to have to save your indignation for another cruise line. No one will notice or care that you are in shorts. Pretty much everyone else will be too. Big whoop.

You're going to have to save your indignation for another cruise line. No one will notice or care that you are in shorts. Pretty much everyone else will be too. Big whoop.

Good! They should be! They are on vacation! :) That was my point! :)

I totally agree. Never can understand why people get upset when the trumpet player is playing one song while the rest of the band is off on a different tune. after all it is his trumpet and he paid for it.

And there are those who complain about kids in the adults only pools and hot tubs, pushing and hitting the adults as they play.

Good! They should be! They are on vacation! :) That was my point! :)

I guess I didn't get the whole, "They are going to have to fine or penalize me" or whatever. Shorts are allowed. It appears you've missed that part. There is no one to fine you, penalize you, or even give a ****.