Felt MEH about the platinum/elite happy hour

pcur

We've attended for the past several cruises. Haven't seen it publicized, but had a little invitation in our stateroom when we boarded. It listed what the drink special and appetizer would be for each day. Have never been when Skywalkers was crowded at all. Maybe it depends on the ship and/or cruise - ??

We were on the Golden for Christmas and New Year last year and as it was our first time with the Platinum Status we decided to attend Happy Hour at 5pm in Skywalkers.

The food was oh hum and we never purchased the drink of the day as it is not something that appealed to either of us.

But the place was pretty empty most times, mainly due to the timing of Happy Hour. Being at 5pm with first dinner at 5.30pm most PES seemed to getting ready for dinner and did not frequent PES.

We went most nights as we got on very well with bartender making all the drinks at the bar. Being in a wheelchair too heavy for the upper level, but with the added bonus my chair puts me into the standing position, I could lean on the bar next to DH!:D:cool:

We've been Platinum for a little while and last cruise was the first time we went more than once (on the Royal). Mojitos are one of my favourite drinks so I'm very happy to have that, and maybe it was just me, but I didn't find it watered down. Also didn't mind the chef serving the snacks as it kept everything fresh and tidy.

I appreciate the drink menu isn't limited to a single offering every night and it was nice to have an array of snacks to enjoy them with.

To each his own, but I'm glad we checked it out again after avoiding it for a while.

We are Elite. We like the idea, if we want, we can get fresh vegies to snack on between 5-7 PM. Our last cruise B2B for 20 days, not once did we attend on the Royal. We didn't feel we missed out. It's a perk we rarely use. But...if we want, we can go & enjoy ourselves. Our next cruise will be on the Royal TA. Probably crowded as well.

The only time we've seen crew members serving all the items was when a ship was in code red for the norovirus. At other times, there's a crew member serving the specialty of the day. I've never had one refuse to give me more than three shrimp at a time on the night of the shrimp fountain.

I always enjoy the Platinum/Elite lounge. I've never found it to be crowded, although I never show up before 6. I've had some drinks so strong (Chairman of the Board) that I've had to ask it to be diluted--and when I don't like the drink of the day, I have never been turned down to get another day's offerings at the same price, regardless of the ship. I appreciate the quiet, genteel offering that it is.

We were aboard the Ruby last week and our first time as Platinum guests....we loved Skywalkers drinks and the offerings. If we did not like the featured appetizer, the other table with cheeses, veggies and crackers was wonderful. The drinks we got were quite strong other than their so called Margarita one night....all orange juice. We're quite happy with our new perk.

Our experience has been that it depends on the ship. We have been to some where there are fewer than 20 people, I was afraid to belch. On another, it was a very nice crowd and it helped that we got to know some of the bar staff. We're at the point that bar staff remember us before we remember them! I guess that says a lot about what we do on board a cruise ship!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the upcoming 14nt Regal Princess transatlantic and, assuming there will be many more Elite and Platinum members on board, am wondering if they will keep it in Club 6 or move it to another location.

Also, does anyone have a platinum/elite happy hour drink menu and if you've been on Regal recently, do they let you order any drink off the happy hour menu or only the drink of the day?

Thanks!

ps...One more question which has to do with all bars...if I have the Soda and More pkg, how much do they charge to add a shot of rum(etc...) to make them "non-virgin"?

I will be on the upcoming 14nt Regal Princess transatlantic and, assuming there will be many more Elite and Platinum members on board, am wondering if they will keep it in Club 6 or move it to another location.

Also, does anyone have a platinum/elite happy hour drink menu and if you've been on Regal recently, do they let you order any drink off the happy hour menu or only the drink of the day?

Thanks!

ps...One more question which has to do with all bars...if I have the Soda and More pkg, how much do they charge to add a shot of rum(etc...) to make them "non-virgin"?

The PES lounge is separate from Happy Hour. They are in different bars and at different times. Happy Hour is for everyone. Somewhere on this thread someone published the invitation to PES lounge. It's the same on all the ships. You can order anything you want but only the featured one(s) will be $5. As to adding a shot, I'm not sure that can be done, but I don't know for sure.

The PES lounge is separate from Happy Hour. They are in different bars and at different times. Happy Hour is for everyone. Somewhere on this thread someone published the invitation to PES lounge. It's the same on all the ships. You can order anything you want but only the featured one(s) will be $5. As to adding a shot, I'm not sure that can be done, but I don't know for sure.
Oops...thanks for correcting me.:o

I meant the menu for the PES lounge. Good to know someone already posted one and I'll do a search to find it.

Thanks again!:)

Not at all crowded on the Coral Princess we just got off of (10 day Panama Canal). We loved it, almost moreso for the two fantastic women who were serving drinks. Since so few people attended they really had time to chat and get to know passengers

We just got off the Ruby last Thursday after a b2b Hawaii and Mexico. On the second leg we reached Platinum level, and I was very impressed with how immediate the status change was.

The happy hour in Skywalker's was a nice venue. The $5 drink menu had good choices. The appetizers were fine, but nothing outstanding. I do like RCCL's hot foods they add to the offerings. The one night I was definitely not impressed with the Ruby's was when they put out a HUGE loaf of steak tartar. The raw meat sitting there for several hours looked pretty yucky.

My biggest problem was my drinks seemed watery. I wasn't the only person having this issue. I overheard at least two other people asking that the shaker for the martini drinks be wiped out after they rinsed it between drinks, because their cosmo, or Rob Roy, or martini tasted watery. I made the same request, but I never got a drink that tasted full strength. I drink mostly manhattans, so the $5 Rob Roy was my choice.

We finally stopped going after about 5 nights, and went to the Wheelhouse instead. Their Rob Roys and Manhattans were fabulous! Same drink; different bars; not the same drink. I was suspicious that because the drinks for the Platinum/Elite happy hour were reduced price, they watered the booze?????

We never drink the special.