Local vs ship time (Grand Cayman)

aprilsp88

Hi,

Has anyone been to Grand Cayman before, and know if Holland America usually uses local time (they don't adjust to Daylight Saving Time) or US time (adjust to DST).

We're taking Veendam, our ship will be in Grand Cayman from 8AM to 2PM. We want to take the Stingray tour (3 hours). We need to be back by 1PM ship time.

If the ship go with local time, we don't have enough time to make the 8:30 tour as it's a tender port, but we can take the 10AM tour which will return at 1PM (but very tight).

If the ship time is 1 hour earlier than local time, then we should book the 8:30 tour so that we can be back before 12:30 ship time.

So it's really important to find out what time the ship uses.

I checked with 2 tour operators, they give me different answers, one says ship use local time, the other says ship use day light saving time. :(

I called Holland America, the representative says her supervisor says the ship USUALLY use local time, but it's up to the captain.

So I'm quite confused now... Anyone can help?

Thanks,

April

Holland America ships typically adjust their clocks to agree with the time of the place they are.

I know of two exceptions to this, one usual and one a 1-time port. In Puerto Vallarta the ship does not adjust to local time. Neither did we advance our watches/clocks the 2 hours to be in sync with Murmansk time.

Otherwise, expect the ship and the locals all to have the same time in Grand Cayman.

If you book through HAL do do not have to worry about it.

Exploration Made Easy: The Holland America Line Advantage

Booking Assistance

Journeys Ashore™ Call Center

Toll-free: 1‐888‐425‐9376

Local: 206‐626‐7320

Call Center Hours (Pacific Time)

Monday – Friday: 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Saturday – Sunday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Already booked your cruise?

Book Excursions Now

Glacier Tour by Helicopter

Tropical Exploration by SCUBA or Snorkel

Our carefully crafted Journeys Ashore™ (Shore Excursions) help you connect deeply with the people and places you’ll visit and offer a level of comfort, care and convenience you won’t find anywhere else.

To find excursions for your itinerary, please select a destination and port above.

Guests love us Award-winning excursions consistently rated "excellent" by guests.

Variety & choice Choose a guided excursion or explore on your own with a private driver.

All-in-one pricing. No extra fees. One competitive and inclusive price for your entire excursion.

Local experts Get a unique perspective and access to exclusive opportunities.

More time to explore No need to buy tickets, negotiate fares or wait in lines.

Guaranteed returns We will always get you back to your ship. Every tour. Every time.

Expert support Our dedicated call center and onboard staff offer answers and advice.

another thought: being that it is a tender port before the ship sets sail the tenders need to be back on the ship and secure. Usually they start putting them back on one at a time and just leaving one as they know how many passengers are still on land. Would be awful to see the last tender gone. They will sail on time out of Gr. Cayman because there are usually a few cruise ships out there and they watch the tides. Take a HAL excursion; maybe a little more in $$ but I bet they go to the same area.