Noro on the Liberty?

I was on the sunshine 2 weeks ago when they had their outbreak. I can tell you that I am a faithful hand washer and use the sanitizers as well. I spent 2 days in the medical center and then was taken by ambulance to the ER upon debarking the ship. We were given port fees for compensation for the amount of days you were isolated. I can tell you that the cleaning methods that I saw while in the medical center would do nothing to prevent the spread of norovirus but in fact would help to spread it and I have filed a complaint with carnival and the CDC

I can tell you that the cleaning methods that I saw while in the medical center would do nothing to prevent the spread of norovirus but in fact would help to spread it and I have filed a complaint with carnival and the CDC

Don't leave us hanging. Humor us.

Its funny Sunshine has an outbreak also. I have a good idea Carnival lets only clean the cabins once a day now. That should help!!!

Won't make a difference if they clean the room 72 times a day if guests don't bother to clean themselves.

Interesting to note that NOT ALL passengers succumb to noro when there is an outbreak on the ship. That says that the "ship" is doing a good job of keeping areas cleaned and sanitized.

And the thing I have noted is that traveling companions of those who have succumbed to noro are apt to dismiss the issue and will freely travel the ship even though their cabin is definitely now infected. It seems that some individuals just don't understand how the virus is spread and just think because they aren't sick "what's the harm". Of all the things that are controllable in an outbreak the one thing that isn't are the passengers.

how about wiping down a clean area with the same rag that they just used in the bathroom??

If that rag has been soaked in a sanitizing solution like Virkon or any of the EPA approved effective agents against noro for use on surfaces, then there really isn't a problem. These solutions, and this is what would be used in the medical center, even when there is not a noro outbreak, are far and away stronger than your typical household "Lysol" brand disinfectant. These agents have a proven contact time of mere seconds against noro and other viruses. And I doubt that the rag was used to clean the bowl.

I plan on carrying a little thing of hand sanitizer around with us to use regularly when hand washing isn't an available option, but hand washing is DEFINITELY a must in close quarters. Now if I can just get my kids to stop randomly putting their hands in their faces...

I plan on carrying a little thing of hand sanitizer around with us to use regularly when hand washing isn't an available option, but hand washing is DEFINITELY a must in close quarters. Now if I can just get my kids to stop randomly putting their hands in their faces...

And how about those hand cleaners in individual packets like they give you in restaurants when you eat messy food?

And how about those hand cleaners in individual packets like they give you in restaurants when you eat messy food?

OOh, I didn't think about those! Not sure how well they'll do to cut down on germies, but they'll definitely be a good thing to throw in the bag! *note to self* stock up next time we hit Buffalo Wild Wings!

Well, you learn something new every day on CC. I didn't know there was a shot for Noro!

There isn't - at least not yet. They have been working on one. Not sure what they were getting shots for, possibly nausea.

OOh, I didn't think about those! Not sure how well they'll do to cut down on germies, but they'll definitely be a good thing to throw in the bag! *note to self* stock up next time we hit Buffalo Wild Wings!

But it will get rid of the "top soil" before using purell. Otherwise you'll just liquefy what's on hands and smush the dirt around.

We are currently sailing on the Liberty re-positioning cruise. We've had a great time thus far. Until I read this post, I had no idea there was a major noro problem on the ship. This cruise seems pretty normal in all respects. No one in our party of 4, nor anyone we have met during this cruise, has been affected. The only thing I've noticed was a couple of reminders over the intercom for everyone to maintain good hand sanitation and they've had crew members near the buffet to assist passengers with the hand cleaning stations.

We are currently sailing on the Liberty re-positioning cruise. We've had a great time thus far. Until I read this post, I had no idea there was a major noro problem on the ship. This cruise seems pretty normal in all respects. No one in our party of 4, nor anyone we have met during this cruise, has been affected. The only thing I've noticed was a couple of reminders over the intercom for everyone to maintain good hand sanitation and they've had crew members near the buffet to assist passengers with the hand cleaning stations.

Hold on a sec...the OP said over 500 people have been stricken on Liberty with Noro and yet you've not received any official/written notice from the ship staff?? There were reports here when the Noro outbreak recently spread on the Sunshine, fewer than 200 were hit and passengers received written notices in their cabins with advice and cautions to help avoid it, yet over 500 impacted on Liberty and no ship wide notice? What gives on that?

Edited by bar1068

Hold on a sec...the OP said over 500 people have been stricken on Liberty with Noro and yet you've not received any official/written notice from the ship staff?? There were reports here when the Noro outbreak recently spread on the Sunshine, fewer than 200 were hit and passengers received written notices in their cabins with advice and cautions to help avoid it, yet over 500 impacted on Liberty and no ship wide notice? What gives on that?

Can't say for sure but sounds most likely for every person on board who is sick. You have 5 to 10 on here claiming to be. Happens all the time with many things. I drive a charter bus a few years a go one kid in DC thought he had left his cell phone on the bus over night. And it wasn't there when he got on the am. By noontime 40 out of 47 kids claimed their cell phone and/or I pods had been stolen.

Like everything here, it is all rumor or speculation until confirmed. I'm not doubting there is noro on the ship. However, I'm not buying into the hype that it was 500 people until confirmed by other reputable sources. We all know people like to exaggerate (represent something as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is). So 40-50 in reality can easily become 400-500. Assuming a passenger/crew capacity of 4,134 and at least 500 infected, we are talking 1 in every 8.27 people, or 12% infected. Seems pretty high to me to continue to be a non-story outside a couple of random postings.

We are waiting to board the Liberty now. 12:15 and notnboard My yet but I think they are getting close. Not sure it the delay is due to repositioning our cleaning the ship. My FB group heard several comments about a lot of passengers being ill.

Others have been posting the same thing on Facebook. Probably a dozen or so people got sick, from whatever, and it got exaggerated.

If that rag has been soaked in a sanitizing solution like Virkon or any of the EPA approved effective agents against noro for use on surfaces, then there really isn't a problem. These solutions, and this is what would be used in the medical center, even when there is not a noro outbreak, are far and away stronger than your typical household "Lysol" brand disinfectant. These agents have a proven contact time of mere seconds against noro and other viruses. And I doubt that the rag was used to clean the bowl.

but I don't believe that if you wash the toilet and then the desk area that it is going to be clean- I don't care what solution is on the rag

april fools ???????

we were onboard this ship ...i got sick on night 4 of the cruise...after that, heard several say they were sick..no letters to cabins , but they did announce a few times the reminder to wash your hands.... there was always a person standing at the buffet to remind to use the purell dispensers....

I was only sick for 6 hours , no fever or cramps...the medical staff thought it might have been something I ate instead of NORO....I stayed in my cabin for 24 hours...

we did see room service trays with biohazard bags on them in hallways...for God's sake people, if you are sick, keep those trays in your room , don't place them in the halls!

anyway, we did not hear the number affected but someone in our FB group posted there was a line out the door at the med ctr that particular day....

I can't imagine there were 500 ill...it would be all over the news if so....

Marsha