Cutbacks and Steward barging in unannounced!

Sorry it bothers a few but we don't care about the missing tablecloth either. Not on a cruise, nor in a restaurant.

Also, we have never experienced a "mile" long line at the dedicated Plat/FTTF GS line. There is also a phone line. Having an ongoing problem with a crew member and don't report it, that's on you.

So far Carnival has not done anything that bothers me much or would keep me from cruising with them. If it ever gets to the point that it does, well then instead of complaining I will just move to another line that I feel suits me better. I don't see that happening since it seems there are just as many complaints on the boards about things on other lines.

The VIP line at guest services is rarely if ever long. Much less super long as in "a mile". If this room steward kept coming in your room unannounced, then you should have gone to guest services no matter the wait. Or called them. Don't plats have a special number?

Perhaps, having just turned platinum, OP wasn't fully aware of the options available to her and isn't used to thinking of the VIP line as her line. And although I haven't seen a mile-long VIP line, I have seen several people waiting in the VIP line for a long time because one VIP's problem was taking forever to sort out. OP also said she didn't want to remove her tips.

I find it a bit odd that a man continually walked in on a woman in her room unannounced, and she's being told that it's her fault for not dead bolting her door and reporting it, or she's lying. :eek: It sounds like he was either not very competent or hoping to walk in on her. A problem with an individual employee rather than Carnival but something for travelers to be conscious of.

Perhaps, having just turned platinum, OP wasn't fully aware of the options available to her and isn't used to thinking of the VIP line as her line. And although I haven't seen a mile-long VIP line, I have seen several people waiting in the VIP line for a long time because one VIP's problem was taking forever to sort out. OP also said she didn't want to remove her tips.

I find it a bit odd that a man continually walked in on a woman in her room unannounced, and she's being told that it's her fault for not dead bolting her door and reporting it, or she's lying. :eek: It sounds like he was either not very competent or hoping to walk in on her. A problem with an individual employee rather than Carnival but something for travelers to be conscious of.

I don't know why you quoted me when I neither said nor suggested what the steward did was ok or her fault. Other posts suggested as much. Not mine.

Forget going to guest services to remove tips. How about just going to address a legitimate complaint? I don't ever advocate removing tips.

There are a number of reasons why this could have happened. But whatever the case, she owed it to herself to take it to the next level.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I didn't say it was her fault why he kept coming in but let me assure you it would only happen to me one time to make sure it never did again.

Perhaps by me putting the deadbolt on every single time without fail, no exceptions, I have avoided this very scenario. I wouldn't know because I've never had that problem. We should learn from our mistakes and do everything we can to prevent things we don't want from occurring. I was simply saying that this is a fully preventable scenario. While it's too late for the OP now, it's a good reminder for all to be aware.

Did the steward have issues? Maybe. It's hard to tell. As a woman who frequently travels alone, it is up to me to insure my own safety and happiness. So I always make sure the deadbolt is on. That is all.

At home, we have a tablecloth on both the Kitchen and Dining Room tables. It's a personal and maybe generational thing.

I agree completely. I always have tablecloths on my table. I don't like bare tables. My husband and I used to be in the service industry and we have seen how tables are cleaned. More often than not the same cloth is used repeatedly on tabletops, cleaning off big items but smearing around lots of little things. When I go out to eat, if there is no tablecloth I will use a hand wipe to wipe off the table and it always picks up a ton of nasty stuff. I already know that I am a clean freak but I definitely want to eat in a clean environment. The tablecloths help ensure that the table you are eating at has a clean surface. That is why I like them while eating in a restaurant. Sad to see them go, but I will just bring the wipes with me.

I don't know why you quoted me when I neither said nor suggested what the steward did was ok or her fault. Other posts suggested as much. Not mine.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you did. I intended to reply to your post and then to other posts, but I didn't make that clear by quoting the other posts.

Table clothes are a sign of "cleanliness" and "class". Remove them, and you imply that your company does not care enough to supply them both.

Carnival provides people with budget vacation, and skips on items that many feel is appropriate, but let's face it, with everyone not caring, they will continue to push service to an all time low. Each year, they find a new way to cut service lower.

For example, I see no reason for the buffet. Just put out hamburgers and hot dogs on the pool deck. Why have a sit down dinner? The space would make a nice self serve buffet. They can also encourage people to buss their own tables. Just put out signs to bring your plates to the dirty dish station.

I stand corrected. I was reading and re-reading the original post and totally missed the second one where she said she just reached platinum.

Reading is fundamental! :D

The jury will disregard your remarks... :)

Edited by BallFour4

Personally I appreciate the cabin steward not knocking loud enough to wake up the dead or me if in the cabin next door or down the hall.

Picking up the telephone is another way to reach Guest Services.

I have on occasion answered a door knock, but no one was there. The steward was next door knocking on their door.:D So, not all knocks are silent.

Try sitting in the MDR at breakfast when the ship is docking and you will see why they need tablecloths - the glasses, plates and bottles of condiments start hitting the floor. In November 2015 while docking in Cozumel our poor waiter tried to catch everything coming off the tables, but failed. I was hit by flying glass and got steak sauce all over my pant let when several glasses and a bottle of steak sauce bounced off the table and broke right next to our table.

I hate it at dinner without table cloths. Between the condensation from the hot plates, cold glasses etc, my place was a giant puddle. It also makes the MDR a much louder venue.

I was so happy to have tablecloths on Princess on our January 2016 cruise and it made me realize how they really do add to the nice atmosphere in the dining room.

The OP is right - it now seems like a Chili's and I don't go there for a nice dinner.

I agree with you, except if it happened ONCE with me, I would have put the deadbolt on every time after that. It would never gotten to the point of being "continual".

I am one of those that misses the tablecloths! In our home, which is certainly not fancy or formal, we have tablecloth for special or company dinners. But placemats every single day.

It helps to prevent condensation from the glasses from dripping on your lap, keeps the silverware and dishes in their places without sliding or clanking, and just gives it an overall "finished" appearance.

I have to agree with the others - it just makes it seem more like the local diner or IHop with no table covers.

As for the steward coming into the room unannounced - definitely make it a habit of locking your deadbolt when you walk into your cabin, just as you would a hotel room.

Actually, many upscale dining restaurants are going to no tablecloths. Ruth's Chris comes to mind. Don't think I would compare them to an Ihop or local diner.

If I don't want to be disturbed by the room steward I put out the "Snoozin" sign and lock the deadbolt. Locking the deadbolt upon entering my room whether at a hotel or on a ship is as automatic to me as putting on a seatbelt as soon as I get in the car.

Exactly! Our snoozing sign stays on our door 23 hours a day. We take it off in the morning when we want our cabin serviced. The moment we meet our cabin steward we let them know that we only want cabin service in the morning and don't bug us in the evening. No turn downs, none of that stuff. So far we haven't had that issue of them coming in uninvited. As for the table cloths, I don't care about that either. I just want the food to taste good.

And yes..lock with deadbolt always...it just is weird..but if alone and especially younger, you are a question mark and some can't help snooping...not good, should be perhaps reported to superior actually if not stopped after your clear no...by both attitude and request. I know this happens now more for girls, guys, and couples but more for each group as listed. Sorry OP..I understand being on vacation and wanting to let it go..but that is just too much!!

We had one cabin steward that did snoop, and he admitted it. He claimed he was looking for the room service cards. He said he left one a day in the room but it wasn't sitting out on the desk. I told him we did not want the room service cards and not to leave them, but he left them and we threw them away. I went to customer service and asked to speak to his supervisor. I told her he went through our belongings and he admitted it. I did remove his tip, DH left his on. The steward could always be found sitting in the emergency stairwell talking on his cell phone. He was by far the worse steward we've ever had.:mad:

Edited by elliair

This is exactly how Carnival gets away with reducing things. People that will only cruise on Carnival and no matter what Carnival does, your response is get over it. So when their product is no more than a self serve dingy, will your response be get over it?

When they get to the point that is not satisfactory to me, I will go cruise a different line, like Princess or something that suits my taste.

You say Carnival is reducing things. Would you rather they raise rates to cover these cutbacks?

Rates go up, I go elsewhere. Everybody has that choice. I just get tired of hearing everybody complain about cutbacks. It's a sign of the times and the economy. Get used to it or move on. There are other cruise lines out there. Find one that suits your comfort/taste.

And this is why you do not have table clothes in the once elegant dining room. You simply don't care. So why should the cruise line waste their profits on people who do not care. You pushed and pushed for T shirt dress codes, now you have T shirt style service and ambiance. including once not twice a day room cleaning. Basically McDonalds on the water.

It's not that I don't care. It just isn't a deal breaker to me.

And I don't know where that "So why should the cruise line waste their profits on people who do not care" line came from. You better take a breath and cool down, Jack.

Then you sayI pushed and pushed for t shirt dress codes? Better take another breath and sit down, before you pass out from high blood pressure. My wife and I dress up every night for the MDR and enjoy doing it in style.

You have some serious issues to deal with. Calm down and go see a therapist. Maybe they want to hear your problems, but the internet is not the place to scream about them.

Like I said before, you don't like it, go somewhere else.