Royal Princess pool area

sunsurf

Is the main pool area really THAT bad? We are travelling in April on Royal Princess (10 day Southern) with our 2 young children and have yet to read any real positive reviews about the pool areas. We've been other Princess ships and found the pools/area quite adequate. Looks like there is no aft pool on this ship either?? This is also the first time we are taking our kids on a cruise vacation.

Greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks all!

Is the main pool area really THAT bad? We are travelling in April on Royal Princess (10 day Southern) with our 2 young children and have yet to read any real positive reviews about the pool areas. We've been other Princess ships and found the pools/area quite adequate. Looks like there is no aft pool on this ship either?? This is also the first time we are taking our kids on a cruise vacation.

The main Lido area has one normal sized pool and one small round pool separated by a raised area that is used for lounge chairs during the day. It is a little difficult to find lounge chairs around the pool, but there are plenty of chairs on the deck above. There are 4 hot tubs in the main pool area, 2 by the pool and 2 on the deck overlooking the pool. One deck up and forward is the Retreat Pool which is adults only. There is also a hot tub in the teen area.

We have been on the Royal and the Regal during the Caribbean season and never had a problem using the pools to swim and cool off.

Pictures in my reviews are in the signature below. Hope they will be of help.:)

How young are your kids? If they are in diapers, they are NOT allowed in the pools.

Ship pools are small...simply can't have large pools on a ship! They are not for 'swimming" as much as getting wet to cool off.

Thanks all so much for your feedback. We're good with MUTS and my kids are 4 and 6. I guess I was just concerned with the amount of passengers this ship takes and the pool area that so many have written about.

Looking forward to this much needed vacation and appreciate all your comments! :)

Edited by sunsurf

We have been on the Royal and the Regal during the Caribbean season and never had a problem using the pools to swim and cool off.

Pictures in my reviews are in the signature below. Hope they will be of help.:)

Thank you Mom33 for your reply! Great photos and they sure do help :)

We sailed on the Royal with grandkids who were 4 & 9 at the time and the kids had a great time. Yes, the pools are a bit small, but trust me, I'm sure the kids won't care. The granddaughters also loved the kids program on the Royal, matter of fact one evening they opted to go to a pizza party in the kids program rather than eating dinner in the dining room!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thanks all so much for your feedback. We're good with MUTS and my kids are 4 and 6. I guess I was just concerned with the amount of passengers this ship takes and the pool area that so many have written about.

Looking forward to this much needed vacation and appreciate all your comments! :)

Hi. My kids were also 4 & 6 last November when we sailed on the Royal for 10-night eastern carib cruise. The kids absolutely loved the ship, including the pool area. Given that the pools aren't large, they more or less just swam 'lightly' and gently in the pools. They had a ball. Spent quite a bit of time in there cooling down and swimming. No jumping allowed, but that was fine. Often the pool was quite busy, and they had to squeeze in and be well behaved as to not bother the adults, but that was fine for them.

They also loved the kids club for a couple hours every other day.

Jennifer

We love the main pool area (even though we could go to the retreat - adults only pool - but the main pool area is better)

Everything is right at hand. The pizza and burger grills are there, the ice cream shop is there. you can just dangle your feet in the round small pool and watch the world go by, or you can jump right into the larger pool and swim (ok - its not huge, but its probably bigger than most people's back yard pools). You can watch the big screen from in the hot tubs - which is quite enjoyable when they are playing sporting events. We tend to cruise in the Fall so often it is Football on Sundays, Baseball playoffs during October, etc.

In our opinion, MUTS does not interfere with the ambiance. Sometimes it is just showing scenery pictures, other times it is showing an older movie during the day and does not blow you away (Sound of music, Forrest Gump, Princess Bride, Mrs Doubtfire - that kind of stuff). We have been able to read or nap, or watch the movie or whatever we wanted.

Most deck loungers are in the open, so hot days, the shaded areas are at a premium to find a couple together, but we usually managed to find something off to the side.

Don

There is nothing wrong with the pools.

... and my kids are 4 and 6. I guess I was just concerned with the amount of passengers this ship takes and the pool area that so many have written about.

Some adults use the retreat pool, not the fountain pool on lido.