Speciality restaurants and milk allergy

motif

Hello all. We are looking at booking a speciality restaurant, either Giovanni's Table or Chops Grill, for our up coming cruise on Independence. Our son (14) has a milk allergy which requires him to carry adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjectors (ie non-trivial). We've just been looking at the menus online and there seems to be an awful lot of cheese / cream / dairy. Does anyone have any experience of eating at either of these restaurants specifically with a milk allergy? :)

I would contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and make them aware of food allergy issues. They can set up meetings with the chefs of the various restaurants, including the buffet, to make sure you know what is safe.

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. We do let them know before sailing and we always have the same staff in the MDR for the duration. We always make a point of finding the Head Waiter on embarkation day to make sure that our needs have been communicated (and to make ourselves feel better!). We've not had too many issues so far, but we've never tried a speciality restaurant (yet). :)

We have two kids with serious nut allergies. Can't speak to milk allergies specifically, but we have found RC to be *pretty* accommodating. I qualify that because you need to be very proactive in making sure everyone recognizes the allergy. The biggest issue we always have is the bread that comes around which we always specifically ask for only sourdough placed on tray separately. But here comes a big tray (and its only our family) with a big tray of various breads. "Are there nuts?" "I don't think so."

Yeah, not betting an emergency or life on "I don't think so".

Milk is more invasive than nuts, so I would suggest (as others have suggested special needs or when you get onboard) or certainly at least several hours before you eat at the restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cindivan

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to respond.:)

My main reason for asking is we wanted to book before we board, but were not sure if they would be able to offer decent enough alternatives for our son for it to be worth the extra cost. I guess we'll just have to wait until we're on board and speak to them directly.

:cool:

For us w/ nut allergies, they don't cook a nut free version. They tell you what to skip. For us, w/ specialty restaurants, if I'm paying extra, they should be able to come up with a nut free version.

At Giovannes, I ended up being down to one dessert, which I didn't like. Next time, I'll skip it and order milk and cookies for the room.

Also, in the Windjammer, no allergy notifications on the food items.

My main reason for asking is we wanted to book before we board, but were not sure if they would be able to offer decent enough alternatives for our son for it to be worth the extra cost. I guess we'll just have to wait until we're on board and speak to them directly.

I understand wanting to book in advance. We have been able to do chops and Giovanni's but we have nut allergies so can't speak to a milk allergy. I would think they can do it, because in general,they have been pretty good, but if it were me I would wait to book until I get on board and check with someone in the restaurant before you do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember we asked in Wonderland on Anthem last year, and they said someone would be in touch. They never got back to us though. Still, there were plenty of other things to be getting on with 😊

Also, in the Windjammer, no allergy notifications on the food items.

Even if there were allergy notifications, I wouldn't trust them because of cross contamination. DD has celiac disease and she just goes and finds a chef who can walk her through the ingredients from the items she is interested in. Then they prepare a plate from a new batch, unless they can guarantee no cross contamination. A few ships have gluten free food zones.

She also found on the Indy that they did prepare special desserts for her twice in a 6 night cruise. They went above and beyond.

My DW has a dairy allergy and we ate at Chops twice and Giovanni's three times last week on the Allure and had fantastic service at all restaurants.

As well as contacting special needs make sure you also visit each restaurant the first day and talk to them. Preferably talk to the chef, while they can accommodate dairy free last minute in the restaurants it is easier with at least 24 hours notice especially for desserts. At Giovanni's the chef came and spoke with my DW each evening and had also prepared a dessert ahead of time for her.

Also, don't be afraid to offer suggestions. We were able to have them turn appetizers into main courses and take items from different dishes and combine them into one new dish.

Enjoy.:)

My DW has a dairy allergy and we ate at Chops twice and Giovanni's three times last week on the Allure and had fantastic service at all restaurants.

As well as contacting special needs make sure you also visit each restaurant the first day and talk to them. Preferably talk to the chef, while they can accommodate dairy free last minute in the restaurants it is easier with at least 24 hours notice especially for desserts. At Giovanni's the chef came and spoke with my DW each evening and had also prepared a dessert ahead of time for her.

Also, don't be afraid to offer suggestions. We were able to have them turn appetizers into main courses and take items from different dishes and combine them into one new dish.

That's great, thanks! :D I will bite the bullet, and book both online.

What kind of thing were you able to get as alternatives?

Welcome back!:)

That's great, thanks! :D I will bite the bullet, and book both online.

What kind of thing were you able to get as alternatives?

One of DW's favorited is the pavlova...baked egg whites without the cream but they add berries and berry sauce to it. This cruise she also had grilled bananas, fruit and a dairy free sorbet. They also made her a kind of pudding that seemed to be made from one of the Island Oasis drink mixes that they thickened with gelatin with the usual fruit on top. She was very happy.

• 4 months later...
An update.

Chops Grill were so accommodating that we switched our Giovanni's Table booking and ate at Chops twice. The food and service were both superb. :D:cool:

Nice to hear this. Glad that they were able to make accommodations for your son.

Edited by Ourusualbeach