Dress Code for Men

LewiLewi

Hear, hear! About to be a first-timer on Cunard and delighted that the dress code is what it is. ... It would be a terrible shame if all cruise lines continue to try to all be the same. If one wants a "gala" night, a "cruise elegant" night, or even an "evening chic" ... there are lines there to provide them. It is sad that folks looking for those experiences seem to think that all cruise lines should re-invent themselves to appease them. A tux takes no more space and weighs no more in the luggage than a suit. I can wear a suit at home. Rarely do I have an occasion for a tux and I welcome that I soon will. Cheers!
Hi AZNative2000, Very well said :).

Have the most amazing time on board QV, Bon Voyage from me! :)

I agree with other posters: Everything doesn't have to sink to a level below mediocrity.

There are plenty of customers who appreciate the Cunardness of Cunard. Customers who are happy with the kind of entertainment offered, libraries onboard, AND the dress-code.

Cunard makes fine transportation (for those only interested in that aspect of a crossing), but it is transportation with a dress-code. A dress-code that applies to all passengers.

I echo AZNative2000's "cheers" to all fellow Cunarders and future Cunarders.

Enjoy your cruises. I enjoy mine. Hopefully I won't be taken below in chains for calling a cabin a room. So is a suite an inappropriate term on a ship as well? Bet they didn't have them on the Santa Maria. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No you won't be taken down in chains. It wasn't that bad. He he.

Hi AZNative2000, Very well said :).

Have the most amazing time on board QV, Bon Voyage from me! :)

I second Pepper's "bon voyage" to AZNative2000!

Have a wonderful time on the Queen Victoria! I think it will be everything you anticipate… :)

Thanks, Pepper and Jimmybean, for the good wishes. :):)

It is hard waiting until October.:D

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I think a Tux would look very pretentious. That's because I am not a baby boomer (my parents are). A Tux maybe the norm in Cunard? I guess? But that would be the exception then. Now I am NOT ok with shorts or at shirt either but a tie should be great on formal night, minus Cunard? I guess. Sad to say, the Tux generation is dying out, literally...so new generations with maybe a different value on style etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No you won't be taken down in chains. It wasn't that bad. He he.

Hi Dreamflight Pat - Hope all is well. Speaking of formal wear, I got a steal on a Ralph Lauren gown at a New Year's Day sale. Will be packing it for our August 9th eastbound crossing.

LewiLewi - This thread seems to have veered off-course a wee bit. The Voyage Personaliser for the August 9th sailing shows 3 formal nights. At least one will be a theme ball but it can't remember what it is. Last June on the crossing, many men wore dark suits. Ladies wore mostly gowns, cocktail attire, and dressy pants with sparkly tops.

I think a Tux would look very pretentious. ... Sad to say, the Tux generation is dying out, literally...so new generations with maybe a different value on style etc.

Maybe in Michigan, but as far as I can tell the university students still embrace the 'black tie' dress code for their Balls here in Australia and I assume the UK.

Its really very simple to comply though. I have only been on one Cunard cruise but I bought a new black suit which I could wear with either a formal dinner shirt or a normal business shirt. Throw a couple of colourful ties/bow ties in to your suit case and you are set. It is not strictly a 'tuxedo' but it is in the spirit of formality, looks like you have made an effort and dressed up, and is perfectly compliant with the dress code.

Edited by Beagle5

I think a Tux would look very pretentious. That's because I am not a baby boomer (my parents are). A Tux maybe the norm in Cunard? I guess? But that would be the exception then. Now I am NOT ok with shorts or at shirt either but a tie should be great on formal night, minus Cunard? I guess. Sad to say, the Tux generation is dying out, literally...so new generations with maybe a different value on style etc.

don't agree .... depends in part on where you live. Son lives in Mardi Gras country ... he got tired of renting so often that he bought his "tails" at the ripe old age of 23 . . . dressing up is something he likes ... it is the culture he lives in ... it is not a burden ... except the cost of his wife's dresses as his tux is good for a few years and she wants a new dress for every ball!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ

Ah,,,,! the monthly dress code posts.

There is a shoe for every stocking.

Similarly, there's a cruise line for everyone, just not Cunard if you decide that you prefer dressing casually all the time.

Only once have have I seen people flout the dress codes, and that was one December when they dropped the prices to ridiculously low levels at the last minute and managed to drag in a strange bunch, some of whom thought wearing a cardigan over denims was formal dress. Many of the men simply did not have a jacket. They all seemed to be allowed into the MDR.

In QG, as always, the standard remained high. Long may it continue.

Stewart

Agree with all the sensible comments above. If you don't want to dress up, don't go Cunard. And no, it's not a generation thing- my 20 something daughters and male and female chums revel at the opportunity of a Black Tie event. I find it amusing that those who don't want to dress up want the rules changed for them yet would scream blue murder if a Cunarder were to book a casual ship and want the dress code raised a level for them!

Sad to say, the Tux generation is dying out, literally...so new generations with maybe a different value on style etc.

The I would guess you do not frequent the metropolitan NY or London social scene where tuxedos can be found not only at the opera and private galas but in restaurants every night of the week and the wearers are young people.

And that is Cunard's market. They do not pull a ton of people off the prairies.

I think a Tux would look very pretentious.

A tuxedo is not pretentious when one is invited to a formal event, whether it be a gala dinner/ball on shore or a formal dinner on a ship. It is proper etiquette to honour a dress code. Even on the most formal of ships - the Union-Castle Line from my experience - no-one was turned away from the dining saloon if wearing a mere business suit.

On my last eight Cunard voyages - on three ships - my estimate is that never fewer then 50% of gents wore tuxedos on the formal nights - and it was often 90% or more. Even on the informal nights a large number of men, including me, wear a tie with the mandatory jacket.

A huge number of young people do not want to be like their parents. As it is the "boomer" generation that started all this casual nonsense so prevalent in fine restaurants, theatres and ships, there is hope that the pendulum will swing back. I know some young adults (my son being one) who are appalled at the casual dress of their parents.

... On my last eight Cunard voyages - on three ships - my estimate is that never fewer then 50% of gents wore tuxedos on the formal nights - and it was often 90% or more. Even on the informal nights a large number of men, including me, wear a tie with the mandatory jacket. ...
This has been my experience as well, thank you david,Mississauga.

In recent years my QM2 trips have been mainly crossings; like you I would guess at 90% of men in dinner suits on formal nights (also like you, I wear a tie on informal nights).

Thank you again.

As it is the "boomer" generation that started all this casual nonsense so prevalent in fine restaurants, theatres and ships, there is hope that the pendulum will swing back. I know some young adults (my son being one) who are appalled at the casual dress of their parents.

As one of those boomers I do agree that casual is nice, but I never confuse nice with appropriate.

I will be a first timer Cunard passenger this Aug 1st after finally convincing my dearest wife that the QM2 was made the cross the Atlantic and was not a barge bottom shaped cruising vessel. I have been wanting to make this voyage for over 8 years and the main reasons were the formality of the dress code and the glamor of the ship (as too many of today's ship's interiors are hard to distinguish from a hotel lobby in Los Vegas).

I am so glad that an uproar occurred (as I read above) when Cunard was going to limit the formal nights to 1 on my chosen crossing. I chose it because it is 8 days and there would be 4. I would have been crushed.

However, now that that misstep was corrected, I was glad to see that there would also be a Roaring 20's ball also with a dress code that recommended tail coat and white tie or striped suit and Fedora. Now I can bring my tux and my tails. I thought that after wearing tails for the New Years Eve Ball in Vienna that I would never wear them again, unless I was buried in them. Does it get any better?

As for the younger generation, my youngest daughter's boyfriend turned down a present of a suit she wanted to buy him and instead suggested a tux, which he now enjoys as many times as he can.

It should be remembered that the reason a tux (or tailcoat) is black, and dress shirts are white, is that wearing them is to provide a bland backdrop to allow your partner to shine. Not to be pretentious at all.

Reposted : Seen on this board a long time ago.

Oh the Dress Code, the Dress Code, A Cruiser’s best friend

If we didn’t have the Dress Code we’d come to a no-good end.

If we didn’t KNOW what we HAD to wear and how to tie our tie

We wouldn’t be able to curl our lip and look down on the other guy.

Oh the Dress Code, the Dress Code, such grand formality

If we didn’t have the dress code what would we wear for tea

If we didn’t have the correct attire in which to wrap our ass

We wouldn’t be able to curl our lip and look down on the other lass.

Oh the Dress Code, the Dress Code, the DJ black or white

If we didn’t have the dress code we’d never get it right

But when we’re right on a formal night we feel quite fabulous

But when we’re wrong THEY curl their lip and THEY look down on us!!

MM

that recommended tail coat and white tie or striped suit and Fedora. QUOTE]

Maybe "suggested" would have been better, fancy dress balls don't usually attract many who make the effort and few now have either tails or Fedora in their wardrobe anyway, or would be willing to pack them for a one off night if they did.

I think the Black and White theme is usually the best supported, but even then most don't bother. I think you will be the star of the show.

Have a great crossing.

David.

I don't have a tux or a black suit, so I want to get some opinions on the 'dark suit' definitions to help me establishing, whether I can work with what I have for the formal nights or not. I don't mind dressing up, but also wouldn't mind not having to go out shopping for more, if there's appropriate options in my closet.

I've got two options for your opinions:

1) a dark grey (business) suit, white shirt and tie

2) a black (not sports) velvet jacket, dark grey slacks, white shirt and tie

Would either of these combinations be appropriate as 'formal'?

Would either of those also be seen as appropriate in the Grills, or is it stricter there?

Thanks for your views :confused::confused::confused:

I don't have a tux or a black suit, so I want to get some opinions on the 'dark suit' definitions to help me establishing, whether I can work with what I have for the formal nights or not. I don't mind dressing up, but also wouldn't mind not having to go out shopping for more, if there's appropriate options in my closet.

I've got two options for your opinions:

1) a dark grey (business) suit, white shirt and tie

2) a black (not sports) velvet jacket, dark grey slacks, white shirt and tie

Would either of these combinations be appropriate as 'formal'?

Would either of those also be seen as appropriate in the Grills, or is it stricter there?

Thanks for your views :confused::confused::confused:

Mozbob, I very much like the black velvet jacket look, but I think that only works in the winter (at least that's the case here in NY).

Sorry, I don't know what would be appropriate in the Grills since my experience is limited to Britannia & Britannia Club where my male tablemates have always worn tuxedos on formal nights. But as I see it, a dark grey suit does meet the dress code :) -S.

There are many cruise line choices where the unkempt are welcome. Cunard keeps certain standards as well as it ought to for protecting its brand and the customers who wouldn't want it any other way.

When I read the dress code on the Cunard site, I must have missed that their mentioned 'dark suit' is considered unkempt......

Anyway, I do appreciate the helpful responses! Thank you for that! The idea is to take both ensembles and from the comments I take that they'd both be considered 'acceptable'.

I'll make sure to pack some extra soap :D:D