Itinerary - port time is it ship time or destination time?

G&TQ

I know the ship remains stays on home port time. Are the itenerary port times local or ship time. If it is ship time we will be poring into Costa Maya at 5am local.

Thanks!

Which ship? In all my cruises, there has only been one time that the ship didn't change time to match the port time.

I know the ship remains stays on home port time. Are the itenerary port times local or ship time. If it is ship time we will be poring into Costa Maya at 5am local.

Thanks!

Ships do not always stay on home port time. We have been on some that do, but others that change to local, or close to, time. While most ships do have a pattern, it is up to the captain which way they go.

Let us know which ship and maybe someone who has done that itinerary will be able to provide you how it was handled on their sailing.

There is no "one" answer to your question.

Some ships never change their time during the entire cruise, even when the ports have a different time.

Some do.

You will just have to wait until you are on board, unless you can ask someone who has been on your ship & itinerary very recently.

Thanks for the quick replies. We are sailing on the Vision of the Sea.

Last week on Vision we changed time for Belize and Roatan. Changed back to eastern time for Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Thanks!

When is your cruise?

Costa Maya, Mexico is the same time zone as Florida, but does not observe Daylight Saving Time.

Even when I do my research, I still check at the gangway - they usually have signs or they can tell you.

Don't rely on your cell phone or other devices that are set to automatically adjust to the time zone. I set my cell phone to NOT do that.

If you book a cruise tour independently check with them - they almost always know which ships are on a different time than the port. But also good to confirm with them for the meeting time so that you are on the same page.

It's so much fun watching "the run of the drunks" from my balcony cabin : - )

Majarosh- to quote my 12yo son "I can't wait to watch the pier runners."

We aim to be back on board an hour early and if we head away from the pier we head back with plenty of time to be on board. Freshen up get a drink and a snack and watch the pier runners.

I have heard from all of our excursions and all pick up with the tender or boat ports. The one I was really concerned with is a tour to Playa Mia in Cozumel. We port at 7am or 6 am local and they open at 9am local and we need to head back to ship by 2 local. I am sure it will all work out.

Thanks everyone!!!

We sail on April 2nd.

You are sailing during DST, so there will be an hour difference between Tampa and Cozumel. So as others said, the captain may or may not change time to match the local time on the itinerary.

So the ship time maybe 7:00 (to match port time, EST) or 8:00 (no change from EDT).

Just keep track of the ship"s clocks..they are everywhere. Ship's time is all that matters. Period.

Not if you have independent shore excursions. You need to be sure your tour provider is in sync with the ship.

And I have cruised from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel a lot over the last few years. We have never adjusted to local time. Even when there was a 2 hour time difference because of a one week lag in DST in the US over what Cozumel was doing.

"Ship's time is all that matters. Period." is an oversimplified statement, in my opinion. It may be true for people doing a cruise ship excursion or just walking around the port or going to a beach. It is not helpful advise to people who are trying to plan private excursions on itineraries with stops in different time zones or cruises at different times of the year (standard time vs. daylight savings time). I have found that the best advice comes from asking the private tour operator directly and also posting a question regarding recent sailings on a certain ship to a specific port, such as Grand Cayman, which currently does not observe daylight savings time.

Edited by marys350

Hi G & TQ ,

We will be on the same ship! I called royal and after much time on the phone for clarification, I asked this question. The final reply verified by a supervisor was the time at Port for each stop.

So when we arrive in Roatan at 10am , it will be 10am Roatan time. Thus the same for the rest. See you on board[emoji41]