Pre-cruise depression...

geegeewhiz

I think you'll love it too. Grand Cayman was one of the best experiences of my whole life -- I love turtles and keep two as pets, so I went to the turtle farm and got to swim with green sea turtles. The port area feels very safe and well-organized. No one was pushy. At one gift shop, I asked for change in Cayman Island dollars and the lady looked through her own money to find bills in good condition. I can't say the same for Jamaica, but even there, you can stay aboard ship or go ashore on a ship-organized excursion.

The staterooms feel compact, but not too small. Everything is the same size it would be on shore, just closer together. Even storage spaces and the closet are similar in size to a hotel room, and having a whole ocean outside your window makes the room feel comfortable.

For me, it was mostly the concern of getting aboard ship that made me anxious. What would customs be like? What would the port transfer be like? That went by quickly, nothing was too bad, and if you're traveling from the US it should go very smoothly. Once you're aboard the ship the worries go away, especially once you get a frozen drink and wave to the people on shore...

Some posters really put the "critic" in Cruise Critic. I think there are some legitimate but VERY RARE concerns such as noro virus or extreme weather that could impact itinerary. And I have to tune out my mother who was only on one cruise 50 years ago but thinks EVERY cruise nowadays ends up with a storm-battled ship with every passenger coming down with noro on top of the seasickness, lol. But IMO a lot of the list of "cruise-ruining" complaints on CC are really rather petty as if they're looking for any and all infractions against perfection. For those who go in with that frame of mind, no doubt they'll find "problems" that likely wouldn't bother most other people. But just in case anyone is offended by my post, not YOU, dear reader, I'm sure YOUR complaint was absolutely founded. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed.

I also agree with NurseDave about only reporting the out of the ordinary or contrasting experiences when on board.

I have always said that 'you shouldn't sweat the small stuff'. Some people do and then one thing becomes two and next thing they know it is the "cruise from hell". Obviously if it is a larger complaint, people should seek redress straight away, don't let it fester. Remember that they can only fix something if they know about it.

I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews. I once overheard a woman talking about her previous cruise, which was a "cruise from hell" (her exact words). She described all the things that went wrong, and how disastrous the cruise was, and how never again would she go on that ship, etc etc etc - and as she described more incidents and ports, I realised I had been on the same cruise.

And I had had a great time. None of her incidents actually mattered, she was just a grumpy boots looking for things to complain about.

Go into it with an open mind and form your own opinions! I think that's the best advice anyone can give you. There will always be people that complain. I swear some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. But a lot of complaints people make about cruises seem so trivial to most people; that's why discussions tend to get heated when they involve complaints. For every complaint there will be dozens of people coming out of the wood works to "defend" the cruise ship or cruise company because they simply disagree. That's because most people, the majority from what I have seen, actually have a wonderful time on their cruises.

Anyway, I hope you have an amazing time. Prepare to become addicted. :D

Edited by bakersdozen12

I just returned on March 13th, I was sorta getting like you right before our cruise, I consider myself a major worry wart and an anxious person though. It was our first cruise and I was so nervous that it was starting to suck the excitement out, but we went and had such an amazing time that the only thing I'm depressed about now is the fact that I don't have my next cruise booked yet!! lol:eek: We are still in the planning phase and hopefully it should be booked real soon. :D Go, have a wonderful time and no worries!! :) You will have the best time.

I just returned on March 13th, I was sorta getting like you right before our cruise, I consider myself a major worry wart and an anxious person though. It was our first cruise and I was so nervous that it was starting to suck the excitement out, but we went and had such an amazing time that the only thing I'm depressed about now is the fact that I don't have my next cruise booked yet!! lol:eek: We are still in the planning phase and hopefully it should be booked real soon. :D Go, have a wonderful time and no worries!! :) You will have the best time.

YES! This is exactly how im feeling, im an anxious/worrywart myself, so im glad you went and had a good time. I will keep an open mind. I may actually post a review...

YES! This is exactly how im feeling, im an anxious/worrywart myself, so im glad you went and had a good time. I will keep an open mind. I may actually post a review...

Please do post a review.

I feel a bit like this but for different reasons. As someone who has suffered anxiety for my whole adult life, I have a way of coping now. I picture the worst case scenario and plan accordingly. It probably won't happen, but if it does, I'm ready to cope.

Worry: I've watched so many YouTube videos about our ship/destinations that I feel like nothing will be a surprise.

Answer: I planned every moment of my wedding day/honeymoon and that was still so much more than the planning! I'm also experiencing it all with my kids and husband, so I get to experience their surprise, and one of my greatest pleasures in life is seeing other people happy. Also, even if I have over researched, I'll be experiencing it all with a cocktail in hand, always an improvement [emoji6]

Worry: I have regrets about the length of cruise I booked -only 8 days, maybe I should have booked longer, and gotten more ports, especially when my parents go 'oh, you're going to our least favourite and missing our favourite port'.

Answer: we booked 8 days for a reason - it means the kids aren't missing too much school, and we get time at the end in Sydney, so it's like two vacations in one, coming home to the third vacation, Christmas! It's our first cruise, we have plenty of time to visit further ports, and the reasons my parents didn't like one port may be the exact reasons why we as a younger couple with kids 8-10 will love it. Plus, cocktails. And food not made by me. Beds not made by me. No school runs, no housework, and this cruise gets me out of a TON of Christmas present planning [emoji6]

Worry: I've booked the wrong cruise line.

Answer: Carnival suits my kids perfectly right now with the slides, Suess themes and ocean themed kids club. RCL (my other preference) will be perfect in a few years when we cruise again, and they're a touch older and able to truly appreciate the adventure activities. And both lines offer cocktails, so I'll be happy regardless [emoji38]

Mostly, I have pre-cruise depression due to there being over 250 days left till we leave!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The only precruise depression I have right now is that I don't have one booked.

With any service, destination, accommodations, etc. the bad reviews will stick out like a sore thumb. Don't let it get to you though, the cruise is booked, and you don't need to set a schedule for your vacation.

Just remember, it's your vacation, do as you please. Whether it's doing excursions, going to all the deck parties, or just relaxing by to pool or in the state room, enjoy it while it lasts!

For any additional info I came across this site yesterday and it got me stoked for my next cruise.

http://www.cruisefriendly.com/blog/100-cruise-tips

I know you'll have an amazing cruise!

I agree with the comments above. Most people wouldn't hesitate to post a negative review....and won't bother to post a review if they had a nice time on a vacation or a great meal in a restaurant.

In fact, on one of my cruises (the first after I joined this site), I posted a pretty positive trip report on the Princess board. I read another fellow passenger's report for the same cruise and hers was pretty negative. But IMO, the things she mentioned were nonsense such as the rinds kept on the pineapple slices in the buffet (which I actually thought was a good idea). Some things are pretty subjective.

You've done the research so you probably can just concentrate on working up a packing list. I really recommend don't plan everything out to the minute. I'm a compulsive planner and have realized I don't need to be that detailed. We never plan any of our on-board time for sure.

My first eight cruises were long before I joined this site or really looked at other cruising sites (other than the cruise line's one). I never look at videos as I just don't have the patience for them. I will get a guide book or two to research ports. But I've learned with my hubby and daughter to have some ideas for things to do, but expect the two of them to start switching our plans during the port stays. :rolleyes:

Ok, I thank you all for your feedback. I'm excited again! What you all have said is true, I keep forgetting how many ppl are onboard vs how many negative comments are made, and it really doesn't compare. Thanks again! :)

Relax and enjoy your cruise. I know I tend to plan and anticipate the wonderfulness of an upcoming trip to the point that when things inevitably go wrong I am devastated. Like a bride who spends 3 years planning her wedding and then can't get over the fact that one of the soloists missed a note. So I kinda know what you mean. Just try not to get hung up on all that could possibly go wrong, and instead relax and enjoy the many new and wonderful experiences you will have. Accept that your cruise won't be as perfect as you would like but it will be a whole lot better than staying home!

I feel a bit like this but for different reasons. As someone who has suffered anxiety for my whole adult life, I have a way of coping now. I picture the worst case scenario and plan accordingly. It probably won't happen, but if it does, I'm ready to cope.

As someone with extreme anxiety issues, my mind would always go to the worst-case scenario automatically, with everything. But, over the years I have come to realize that I am always stressing and planning for the worst-case scenario when it never happens. So my new outlook on life is to plan for the best-case scenario and not stress about it. Should the worst-case scenario actually happen, I will stress about it then. And only then.

Trust me, my life has become much more enjoyable this way! I have even gotten over my fear of flying. Well, fear of crashing. I actually quite like flying. But now I don't go into it panicking that the plan is going to crash. I tell myself that if it does, I will allow myself to panic then, but only then. Otherwise, I just sit back and enjoy the flight!

Edited by bakersdozen12

As someone with extreme anxiety issues, my mind would always go to the worst-case scenario automatically, with everything. But, over the years I have come to realize that I am always stressing and planning for the worst-case scenario when it never happens. So my new outlook on life is to plan for the best-case scenario and not stress about it. Should the worst-case scenario actually happen, I will stress about it then. And only then.

See, having a loose plan for worst case scenario makes me much less stressed! Through lots of cognitive behavioural therapy I know that the worst case is almost never going to happen, it's just to calm my inner worrier :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My advice -

Once you've booked and paid for a cruise and you're going ..

ONLY read the "excellent" reviews. Those people are real people who went and had a fantastic time on that very same ship.

I did this, and it got me more and more excited, and I went, and what do you know.. I had a fantastic time! And I couldn't wait to do it again!

Enjoy your cruise!

I haven't been on a cruise before but I am pretty excited to try it for myself and see what I think. I'm a bit anxious while I am figuring out the itinerary for the port days but I'm pretty sure that things will work out and when I get that sorted, I'll be happy.

I will say that I have noticed this kind of thing with other types of travel. For example, there are a lot of people who will complain when they leave their home country about how "different" the place that they are visiting is. That's sort of the point of travel though, to experience new things and also to appreciate life.

I guess that I'm just agreeing that the best thing to do is to keep an informed but open mind and to form your own opinions based on your own experiences.

Don't be bummed. I took a cruise after I lost my job in December. Princess Cruises says "come back new" as their Tagline and I did come back new. I'd had doubts prior to it. Now I've booked my second and I can't wait. The room size doesn't matter. You won't spend much time in it.