Bombings in Brussels

ABoatNerd

Yes, that is what I would expect them to say.

European countries will be hit hard with tourism dropping off. That is inevitable.

The economic impact will be felt worldwide.

Of course , watching the horror of the Brussels Airport, Economic impacts are really irrelevant right now.

Just heard on CNN that the State Department is warning all American citizens not to go to Europe.

Wolf Blizer said it was an extraordinary statement, that usually a country is specified but not a whole continent.

Any comments here?

That is not what the State Department said. What they said, basically, is to be vigilant and aware of your situation. Complete text here.

Third (and last) reminder:

Another reminder:

Originally Posted by Host Walt viewpost.gif

Please avoid discussions of geopolitical or US politics.

Thanks.

Time passes and life continues.

We are booked for Europe the end of August and we are not thinking of cancelling.

Very difficult to say that to victims and families of terror' date=' that time passes, life continues and we get used to a new normal.

That may happen if the situation is solved or behind us.

Unfortunately that is not the case.[/quote']

An op-ed from the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/opinion/sunday/je-suis-sick-of-this.html

Good article, thanks. Frankly we were planning on heading to Europe again this summer but are re-thinking it. It's not because I am worried about something happening, as the odds are pretty slim, its just I don't want to vacation feeling the need to be alert every time I am in a public place that could be considered a target.

One thing I also have read about is how cruise ships are tempting targets for terrorist organizations. Having witnessed some of the lax port security in some ports I wonder what, if anything, the cruise industry is doing to make their ships harder targets.

Based on the extremely low prices for transatlantics this year, much lower than the last few years, and heavy discounting on European cruises this summer, I think that tourism in general is going to be light in Europe this summer. I believe the Paris bombings last November have really contributed to that, and the Brussels bombings are just reinforcing it. Since Cruise critic represents only a small fraction of the volume of cruisers out there, it would be very interesting to know how cancellations are going and will go in the next couple of months. My guess is they are going to be at a higher level than they have been over the last few years

How can anyone really be vigilant? In the Brussels case' date=' three men were pushing luggage wagons, like hundreds of others. Who would recognize the danger?

Sadly, it can happen anywhere.[/quote']

There you have it. These guys are not running around holding a bomb with a fuse burning. Be vigilant. How many of us are trained in the subtleties of security? I just heard a security expert on television say he told his kids not to go to Europe. Be vigilant. Thanks for the tip, State Department. Where's James Taylor?

The cruise lines are starting to release responses to what they will plan to do:

The attack that left at least 30 dead in Brussels on Tuesday morning has sent cruise lines into crisis mode, deciding whether or not it’s safe to visit Belgian ports in the short and long term.

A little over an hour inland from the nearest cruise port (Zeebrugge), Brussels is a popular attraction for river and ocean cruises, and a major shore excursion destination.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) said the main concern during any event like this is to make sure “cruise ships have the flexibility to alter their itineraries as needed to avoid areas of higher risk.”

CLIA told TMR that cruise lines cooperate and partner with authorities regarding security matters when safety is an issue.

“Our priority is to provide for the safety of passengers and crew at all times. Port and onshore facilities, infrastructure, and passenger security and services in destinations are strictly scrutinized,” it said in a statement.

Seabourn, which has its next scheduled Belgium stop in May in Antwerp, a city less than 30 miles from Brussels, has not announced any changes.

A representative told TMR that Seabourn regularly analyzes information regarding safety and security from a number of different sources, including government intelligence agencies and port security officials.

“The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority,” he said. “Europe remains a popular choice with our guests and at this time we plan to continue our calls to Belgium provided there are no U.S. Department of State warnings issued or other information received that would necessitate altering our itineraries.”

AmaWaterways said it doesn’t have any guests in Belgium at the moment, but it does have a scheduled stop in Belgium (Antwerp) during its March 27 Tulip Time Cruise sailing.

A representative told TMR it is considering rerouting the Antwerp stop to a Dutch port, where it could still offer tours to Ghent and Bruges. It also is adding one additional trained security staff member to every Belgium sailing.

AmaWaterways also is allowing any guest who wants to switch from the Tulip Time Cruise to another 2016 sailing to do so without penalty.

All Globus brands (Globus, Cosmos, Monograms, and Avalon Waterways) also are letting guests who are scheduled to travel to Brussels within the next month rebook to any future 2016 departure date, or to a 2017 departure date if their 2016 itinerary is not available.

Uniworld Boutique River Cruises said while it is prepared to make changes to its itineraries, it has not made any as of yet. It is also offering itinerary changes free of charge to guests on Brussels sailings through April 22.

Viking River Cruises said it will continue to monitor the situation, but is not making any itinerary changes. It will help passengers who were booked on the March 23 departure from Bruges reroute flight itineraries, as Brussels Airport is still closed.

Our Travel agent called Celebrity and they said at this time they are monitoring the situation closely and they take the lives of their guests very seriously. At this time they are not switching any itineraries but if they do change anything they will notify us.

I'm sure they are getting lots of these calls and so that is probably why they are prepared with a response. If you have insurance you can only cancel if the terrorist event occurs within 30 days of your cruise.

Good article, thanks. Frankly we were planning on heading to Europe again this summer but are re-thinking it. It's not because I am worried about something happening, as the odds are pretty slim, its just I don't want to vacation feeling the need to be alert every time I am in a public place that could be considered a target.

One thing I also have read about is how cruise ships are tempting targets for terrorist organizations. Having witnessed some of the lax port security in some ports I wonder what, if anything, the cruise industry is doing to make their ships harder targets.

Concerning cruise ships security, don't know how Celebrity manages it, but I was on the QEII after London bombing and Cunard took security more than seriously. Embarking in every british port of call took a very long time, because each passenger and crew member was personally examined by security agents, not pleasant, of course, but everybody understood it was necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have an August cruise on the Silhouette that is scheduled to sail from Amsterdam and visit Brussels. We do not plan on changing our cruise plans at this point but we make some adjustments to our travel plans. Instead of using the train to travel around Amsterdam, we will likely take a taxi to reduce our exposure to possible terrorist targets. This is one of the things we will do as we become more vigilant.

Based on the extremely low prices for transatlantics this year, much lower than the last few years, and heavy discounting on European cruises this summer, I think that tourism in general is going to be light in Europe this summer. I believe the Paris bombings last November have really contributed to that, and the Brussels bombings are just reinforcing it. Since Cruise critic represents only a small fraction of the volume of cruisers out there, it would be very interesting to know how cancellations are going and will go in the next couple of months. My guess is they are going to be at a higher level than they have been over the last few years

Hey.. I hate to burst your bubble, but Americans & Canadians are not the only tourists!!! What has happened is dreadful, but for the rest of us, life has.... IT HAS to go on...or thy win. But please.... do not think, not even for one minute... that the only tourists are American/Canadian. Europe is a fantastic place to visit and it will be visited by European tourists.... but you are more than welcome to join us

Leaving for UK in 2 weeks on the Silhouette. Took advantage of those cheap prices (booked prior to the Brussels bombing). After arriving will be renting a car and driving around the English countryside for 5 days which the wife and I love.

Only change of plans are to arrive at Heathrow for the flight home a few hours earlier then I usually would.

Edited by Banjo

Leaving for UK in 2 weeks on the Silhouette. Took advantage of those cheap prices (booked prior to the Brussels bombing). After arriving will be renting a car and driving around the English countryside for 5 days which the wife and I love.

Only change of plans are to arrive at Heathrow for the flight home a few hours earlier then I usually would.

Our green and pleasant land will be thrilled to see you :). Just remember to bring an umbrella :D. Yesterday was glorious, today was a torrential downpour, but our countryside is still outstandingly beautiful ;). Blessed to live so close to an AONB. Have a fabulous cruise - Silly is one of our favourites :).

Hey.. I hate to burst your bubble, but Americans & Canadians are not the only tourists!!! What has happened is dreadful, but for the rest of us, life has.... IT HAS to go on...or thy win. But please.... do not think, not even for one minute... that the only tourists are American/Canadian. Europe is a fantastic place to visit and it will be visited by European tourists.... but you are more than welcome to join us

So true. We may see a dip in numbers of tourists from North America, but the majority of tourists in Europe are actually other Europeans - and in general we get more annual leave than folks from the USA, so we have more opportunities for travel. I live in a tourist area, (which is also an occasional port of call for cruise ships) and the majority of our visitors are Brits, followed by other Europeans. We do get tourists from further afield (often tracing their roots), but their numbers are not significant, although probably more of them do visit the most well-known tourists sites. As you rightly say, Europeans will continue to travel: we have long experience of these kind of events in various countries and have a realistic view of the risks. Anyone who is fearful of coming here should, of course, stay at home, but those of us who live here will continue to enjoy the great experiences that Europe has to offer and that we enjoy sharing with our very welcome tourists - from all parts the world.:)

Edited by Suzy Smith

Our green and pleasant land will be thrilled to see you :). Just remember to bring an umbrella :D. Yesterday was glorious, today was a torrential downpour, but our countryside is still outstandingly beautiful ;). Blessed to live so close to an AONB. Have a fabulous cruise - Silly is one of our favourites :).

Thanks Villauk.

Wife and I done this several times and love UK's countryside but most of all fantastic hospitality. Always had good to great weather but never this early :rolleyes:. Only place we have not seen is York. Its been on the bucket list for awhile. Finally going to make it :).

Hey.. I hate to burst your bubble, but Americans & Canadians are not the only tourists!!! What has happened is dreadful, but for the rest of us, life has.... IT HAS to go on...or thy win. But please.... do not think, not even for one minute... that the only tourists are American/Canadian. Europe is a fantastic place to visit anare preaching tod it will be visited by European tourists.... but you are more than welcome to join us

You are preaching to the choir! I never said that I personally bought into that, I just said that I think it may be responsible for the lower prices that we're seeing. In fact we leave in less than two weeks for Europe and have not changed our plans one iota! We spend a month or more in Europe every year. My post was merely wondering if there would be a lot of cancellations following this latest attack.