Gift Cards available at AARP

As of right now, 3/22/16 at 9:20 AM, AARP has the Royal Caribbean's gift cards available in both $100 and $500. They do go quick so if you have been waiting for them now is the time to buy them.

I haven't checked Verizon Wireless but usually when AARP has them Verizon Wireless is right behind with the same offer.

Good luck!

I couldn't find them on the AARP website, but are currently available on Verizon. On Verizon you could purchase a $100 gift certificate for $90 and the $500 certificate for $450, but it looks like they are only good for new bookings.

Please read the fine print for the RC gift cards. They cannot be used for OBC and must be used to purchase the cruise thru RCCL only. Read the Terms and Conditions.

The other cruise line gift cards can be used as OBC.

Edited by retiredgram

Please read the fine print for the RC gift cards. They cannot be used for OBC and must be used to purchase the cruise thru RCCL only. Read the Terms and Conditions.

The other cruise line gift cards can be used as OBC.

That's for the heads up. They won't go to waste as we can always use them to book another cruise.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Can the gift card be used to book with Royal then transfer the reservation to a travel agent?

Don't know about transferring to TA. Below is a partial copy from The Terms and conditions. Maybe you could call and ask 877-912-7225

Terms and Conditions

The certificate can be used only for Royal Caribbean International services in accordance with terms and conditions outlined below. Certificates must be redeemed directly through Royal Caribbean International for the U.S. dollar value as outlined on the face of the certificate. Certificates can be used in multiples and can be used to supplement cash payment or credit card.

1. Travel agents, agencies or any other travel intermediary service cannot be used in conjunction with this certificate.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but does anyone know if the RC gift cards can be used to pay for drink packages? My upcoming cruises are already paid for, but my drink packages and specialty dining are not so I was wondering if the gift cards work on those items.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but does anyone know if the RC gift cards can be used to pay for drink packages? My upcoming cruises are already paid for, but my drink packages and specialty dining are not so I was wondering if the gift cards work on those items.

Thanks in advance.

No. They would be of no use to you, since they can only be used to pay for the cruise booked through Royal Caribbean.

I hope this will help with all of the questions. I bought a $100 gift card from AARP for Royal Caribbean. I am being serious when I say it was the worst buy I have ever made. On the AARP website it didn't state that it was for new bookings only. Pretty much what it said was that it could be used for almost anything, they didn't expire, and a few other statements. I called AARP to find out about the certificate and the rep I spoke to told me, and thank goodness I was smart enough to record our conversation, she told me that they could be used for OBC, shore excursions, restaurants, etc. I then asked if my travel agent could take over the reservation and she told me yes. I ordered a $100 certificate.

It took 8 weeks to arrive and on the back of this thin piece of paper it stated must be used for new bookings only made directly through RCCL. I called RCCL and explained what I had purchased, and no kidding, not one rep knew what I was talking about, a AARP gift certificate. I asked for a supervisor and spoke to 2 different ones and they didn't know anything about an AARP gift certificate. I hung up and send an email to Adam Goldstein, that was routed to 3 different supervisors and finally a women called from RCCL and told me she knew all about the AARP program. She said exactly what it said on the back of the certificate. I immediately pulled out my recording and let her listen to it and RCCL finally honored it as OBC for a cruise I had just booked.

So I would say to all of you, DO NOT BUY THE AARP OR VERIZON GIFT CERTIFICATES, unless you are wanting to book a new cruise through RCCL, that your TA can't take over. They are a waste of money to save $10.

Candie

Hi,

I just need some clarification. I can use the GC for purchasing my cruise though RCCL, but cannot use them for my OB expenses? With the Carnival GCs I have been able to apply them to my OB account. if this is not accurate please clarify for me what I can use them for. I was planning on purchasing $1500 in GCs to apply to the balance of my account and put any leftover to my OB expenses. Before I purchase I need to know what I can do with the cards.

Many Thanks

ML

Mary Louise,

I have purchased Carnival and NCL gift cards and they can be used for anything including a down payment on your cruise, OBC for shore excursions, gambling, drinks, etc.

My experience with the Royal Caribbean gift card is they can only be used for purchasing a cruise, when made through their telephone number and only $500 can be used toward purchasing a cruise, no more than that. You can't use it for any onboard expenses. It states this in the fine print and on AARP and Verizon where I have purchased gift cards. So Beware, unless you are setting up a new cruise, you can't use the cards. Also remember that once the cruise is set up you can't transfer it to a travel agent. RCCL has a lot of restrictions on their gift cards.

Candie

Mary Louise,

If you are in doubt I would call either the place that is selling the cards or send an email or call RCCL and Carnival. On Carnival's website, under frequently asked questions there is information about the gift cards. I can't anything under RCCL's website.

BUYER BEWARE! RCCL gift cards are a good idea if you can get them for a reasonable price and use them to book a new cruise. Remember, that if you have to cancel your cruise for any reason, you will only get another gift card back, not a refund of your money.

Candie

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that the gift cards can only be used for new bookings. Has anyone tried or know if I can use them to pay my balance on a next cruise booking? I have a next cruise certificate I would like to use and hoping I'll be able to pay with a gift card.

Thanks.

There should be a special number on the certificate itself that is the only number you can call to book using this certificate. The regular agents do not know about them - you call that number, which puts you through to a particular department at Royal that deals with these coupons. Then when you look at your reservation online - or when a Royal phone agent looks it up for you - it will look like it's booked through a travel agency - but the "agency" is actually a department at Royal. It took me more than half an hour to convince the agent on the phone that I should regain control of my own booking; fortunately, I knew the first and last name of the agent with whom I booked the cruise, and the phone agent was able to look him up in a Royal phone directory and confirm that the story was true. Would I use one of these certificates again to save $50 on my cruise? Probably not.