Koningsdam - Tamarind

teamflames

I notice on the deck plans the Tamarind is up on the Panorama Deck above the lido, is this its normal location on HAL ships?

Would this be a good place to have dinner for a sail away, specifically on our Baltic cruise we are thinking of booking it for Stockholm sail away as most seem to rate this one of the best in the world. Thoughts? :)

Edit include deck plan

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlans.action?ship=ko&deck=pa&deep=0

Edited by teamflames

I haven't dined their personally (yet...) but it is a restaurant featured only on the Signature class ships (Nieuw Amsterdam & Eurodam) and Koningsdam. It is on the top level of both Signature class ships.

From the menus others have posted, it is Asian fusion. From photos I have seen, you may not have the best view outwards, but I could be mistaken.

Depending on how seating is configured on Koningsdam the view would either be out to the sides or overlooking the aft pool area.

Thanks guys, sounds a bit risky then, I have heard this is one of the best sail aways on the planet. Any other dining options that tend to have a great view.

On X we did Venice lunchtime sail away in the Tuscan grill, good but tinted glass.

My personable preference on ships with the Retreat Cabañas is my normal corner Family Retreat Cabana. Burgers from the Grill, champagne, and a nice Caesar salad from the Lido. The cabaña attendants will be happy to get it. But that assumes you snagged a cabaña. :)

Dennis

This is my favorite restaurant on the HAL ships.......I wouldnt miss it and already looking forward to it on the Koningsdam next February. Agree with earlier posters, no view to speak of. But in February, by the time I eat there......night has fallen so no view anyway.

Also the bar next to Tamarind is beautiful and usually very quiet and a nice place for a pre-dinner cocktail.

I think the only place you want to be for the sail-in or sail-out from Stockholm is on an other deck, preferably with a forward view - certainly NOT in a restaurant whether with a view or not! It is indeed one of the spectacular approaches you're likely to experience.

It's very scenic, as long as you depart in summer or in a reasonable hour so that you still have daylight.

When we have done a short scenic sail away, like Venice, we have simply eaten later. When we have done a long scenic sail away, like Montreal/St Lawrence river or Vancouver/Inside passage, we have gotten food in the Lido/Dive-in/Pizza instead and eaten outside by the Sea view pool to get unobstructed views and so that we can quickly go to the railings and take photos etc. If the weather is poor, we would still choose the Lido and sit by the Lido pool (under cover) or inside in the Lido restaurant since it has the biggest windows of all restaurants.

Also check that it really is Stockholm and not nearby Nynashamn. Also there are different docks in Stockholm, since Koningsdam is a larger ship it will probably dock at the "Free port" area, which has less scenic city views, but the archipelago sail in/out will be scenic anyway.

Edited by Laurino

Thanks guys, I think a few cocktails and food by the pool sounds perfect.

It will be late June and departure is 6pm so I believe it should be light.

According to port website we are s167 which is right in town, hope that is the case!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Btw, I read on one blog you are limited in Tamarind to how much you can order, is that true?
Like the PG, you can only order one entree pp ... unless you pay for another.

Edited by jtl513

Like the PG and Canaletto, you can only order one entree pp ... unless you pay for another.

Thanks for clarifying, there was definitely no such restriction on our X cruise.

Doesn't bother me in the other restaurants but in Asian ones I usually like to try several, especially as DW is a vego! Limits my ability to share [emoji30]

I like my cruise experience to be complete over the top indulgence and consumption [emoji41]

Oh well will just have to go there a couple of times

Thanks for clarifying, there was definitely no such restriction on our X cruise.

Which Celebrity ship and restaurant? Certainly the mains have been limited to one in the extra-charge restaurants on all of our Celebrity cruises.

Which Celebrity ship and restaurant? Certainly the mains have been limited to one in the extra-charge restaurants on all of our Celebrity cruises.

We sailed the equinox in the med in October 14. I have just checked with the DW and she confirmed we ordered multiples of everything including main courses in the silk harvest, there were 4 of us and we ordered almost everything on the menu and doubles of some. They even brought the wine we liked under the beverage package from the other dining room.

DW can't remember if we had multiples mains in the Tuscan grill and murano. It may have been entrees (starters), we are debating this (although I am fairly certain in Tuscan we did but that may have been because we got on so well with the maitre d and are there 3 times).

Mdr 100% we did.

Btw captain Albert blog discusses Tamarind today says it overlooks Seaview deck aft, which differs to other ships which overlook the dome/lido pool.

This doesn't mean much to me, not sure if it's a good thing or not.

He also confirms above that the bar is gone

Thanks guys, I think a few cocktails and food by the pool sounds perfect.

It will be late June and departure is 6pm so I believe it should be light.

According to port website we are s167 which is right in town, hope that is the case!

Yes you will have light, sunset won't be until after 10pm. And yes s167 is quite close to downtown (for that size of ship), it's not in the more distant "Free port". So you're all set! :)

Btw captain Albert blog discusses Tamarind today says it overlooks Seaview deck aft, which differs to other ships which overlook the dome/lido pool.

This doesn't mean much to me, not sure if it's a good thing or not.

He also confirms above that the bar is gone

Today's Captain Albert Blog was quite good, I am excited because we have dinner reservations for 6:30 on April 8th for Tamarind :D Should still be light enough for good views after sail away. BTW I think it will be a very good thing of the location :)

I am extremely excited about the Sushi Bar. That could be where all my SBC goes :D

Today's Captain Albert Blog was quite good, I am excited because we have dinner reservations for 6:30 on April 8th for Tamarind :D Should still be light enough for good views after sail away. BTW I think it will be a very good thing of the location :)

I am extremely excited about the Sushi Bar. That could be where all my SBC goes :D

Make sure you come back here and give us a full report. I haven't told DW there is a sushi bar as although I love it I do want to try other dishes as well, DW could eat sushi 24/7

Make sure you come back here and give us a full report. I haven't told DW there is a sushi bar as although I love it I do want to try other dishes as well, DW could eat sushi 24/7

I too could each Sushi or Sashimi 24/7, just add in some Edamame and a bit of Nigori Sake and I am one happy girl :D

My DH does not each Sushi at all, but he happily watches while he enjoys drinking a Kirin or Sapporo :D

As for reporting back, MOST definitely. Starting two weeks from today when we fly to Rome I will start my "Live From the Koningsdam" I plan to do several updates daily with lots of pictures:) I have already placed my International Plan on my Verizon Wireless and have quite a bit of data i can use. So should be good to go, hoping that HAL for the Koningsdam will offer an Unlimited WiFi Plan because I plan to purchase that as well. I will be posting lots of pictures with my reports.

First you tell us your DW is vegan so limited to what she eats and now you tell us you haven't let her have the fun of looking forward to her favorite food at the sushi bar? :eek: Wow....... don't you want her to be as excited about what she will eat as you are? :confused: :D