Dressing for dinner - World Cruise

Cruise NH

I hope this isn't a sensitive subject (dress codes :D) on the HAL boards...

We are close to booking the 2017 world cruise, just waiting to see if a few things can be worked out.

I've been looking at the blogs of current world cruisers and see in photos that dinner attire looks really casual. I read the dress code and it does seem pretty lose. Now, for the last 10 years or so I've been on Cunard so bare that in mind...

I understand 'Gala' nights. We have plenty of formal clothing so that's not a problem. But for the other nights, do people wear what they've had on all day around the ship (assuming it's not shorts or tank tops)?

I have a lot of dresses (not formal but more like nice office wear) that I would use on 'other' nights while on a Cunard cruise. Would I be too dressed up on HAL?

Normally, my husband would bring his tux, a suit and a sport coat. Is that too much?

Any insight would be helpful. We are perfectly willing to go with the flow...whatever that is.

Thanks in advance.

But for the other nights, do people wear what they've had on all day around the ship (assuming it's not shorts or tank tops)?

At least on port days, considering all the activity, and especially in those areas with the extreme heat and humidity, I would expect they would shower and change into fresh clothes.

We've been on 2013 and 2015 world cruise and have signed up for 2017. Ruth is correct that even on long, steamy days folks heading for the Main Dining Room will shower and change into good casual clothing. Nothing fancy in our experience but at least a nice pair of slacks and collared shirt for men. Many women may skip the dress but wear a nice pair of slacks and a fancier top. (Sorry no idea about proper names for women's clothing). Of course on those days you may see more folks up in the Lido with much more casual look or they just get room service.

On formal nights some seem more formal than others. Themed nights will bring out more tux for the men. Standard formal nights see more blazers with shirt and tie and maybe a good pair of slacks or khakis. Even on the special nights you will see men in suits, not tux, and sometimes just a blazer. In our experience it seems that as the trip goes on the level of dress slips somewhat, especially on the men. Think they get tired of trying to impress folks they have been with for 3 or 4 months. Women seem to continue to dress up longer than the men.

For your husband tux and a blazer or jacket should be enough for the entire cruise. Of course this is one person's experience and will be 2 years old by the time it makes any difference. We didn't have anytime dining on our world cruises which I think they now have so don't know if that will make a difference. Think it will be a lot less formal than you have seen on Cunard but still not sloppy by any means. At least we hope.

If you do decide to go, join our roll call as it is fairly active and a great way to get to know each other prior to the actual cruise.

I think after Cunard you would find dress more relaxed. Also understand that HAL just changed their "formal" nights to "gala" which relaxed the dress code somewhat. I plan on taking both a tux as well as sports coats. Some of the nights are just traditional formal (or gala) while there are 6-8 nights that are themed, like Valentine ball, White Nights or Silver and Black ball. I expected the theme nights to be more dressy.

My World Cruise experience was in 2008. But, I have sailed on other long cruises since then as well.

This is my opinion. Formal/Gala Nights ought to see gentlemen dressed in a dark suit and tie or formal wear, i.e. tuxedo or dinner jacket. Smart Casual Nights will see gentlemen dressed in open collar shirts; some will have a jacket; most will not, probably. On a long cruise, personally, I found that a sport coat/slacks/tie to be acceptable and more comfortable than more formal wear "every time" it was "formal/gala night". And, that was perfectly OK.

Having dinner in the Pinnacle Grill? In my opinion, even if the evening is "Smart Casual", gentlemen would be comfortable wearing a jacket. Open neck shirt: perfectly acceptable.

I prefer second seating dining so that I have the opportunity, if a shore excursion runs late, to return to my stateroom, shower, and dress in a leisurely manner for the evening. And, hopefully, have time for a pre-dinner libation in the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest.

Edited by rkacruiser

I hope this isn't a sensitive subject (dress codes :D) on the HAL boards...

We are close to booking the 2017 world cruise, just waiting to see if a few things can be worked out.

I've been looking at the blogs of current world cruisers and see in photos that dinner attire looks really casual. I read the dress code and it does seem pretty lose. Now, for the last 10 years or so I've been on Cunard so bare that in mind...

I understand 'Gala' nights. We have plenty of formal clothing so that's not a problem. But for the other nights, do people wear what they've had on all day around the ship (assuming it's not shorts or tank tops)?

I have a lot of dresses (not formal but more like nice office wear) that I would use on 'other' nights while on a Cunard cruise. Would I be too dressed up on HAL?

Normally, my husband would bring his tux, a suit and a sport coat. Is that too much?

Any insight would be helpful. We are perfectly willing to go with the flow...whatever that is.

Thanks in advance.

I too am a Cunarder but took a look at the 2017 world for HAL. Very reasonable price for a solo traveler. However, Also coming from NH where dress up is a clean T and better boots for way too many, I will stick with Cunard as long as they demand a top notch dress code. There is nothing better on a world cruise than almost every evening at sea being a formal evening with tuxedos and fine dresses or gowns.. The elegance is not to be matched.

However, if you like the more casual casual of the new HAL go for it. To each his own.

I too am a Cunarder but took a look at the 2017 world for HAL. Very reasonable price for a solo traveler. However, Also coming from NH where dress up is a clean T and better boots for way too many, I will stick with Cunard as long as they demand a top notch dress code. There is nothing better on a world cruise than almost every evening at sea being a formal evening with tuxedos and fine dresses or gowns.. The elegance is not to be matched.

However, if you like the more casual casual of the new HAL go for it. To each his own.

I wasn't making a judgement about which is better, I just want to make sure I bring the proper clothing (and not pack something I won't wear).

I like Cunard and I don't know how I feel about the more relaxed dress code. I do know I like the itinerary (more overnights, etc) better then what Cunard offered in 2017. Itinerary trumps everything else and I'm not going to pick a world cruise because I like the dress code better.

I frequently notice what people wear and wonder what they were thinking when they left the house (and it's not just New Hampshire). I dress one way around the house and another when I leave, that's the way I was raised, others feel differently...

Thanks for the input from other HAL cruisers, it helps.

We will be going on our first Cunard cruise in May. How dressy (or casual) is the the first night aboard? On HAL, it tends to be more casual. Are good slacks and a nice top appropriate?

If you would be comfortable wearing the outfit in a nice restaurant at home, then you'll be ok.

First night is a little different because people haven't unpacked and clothes can be wrinkled :) I usually wear a nice top with black slacks. Others will be dressed the same. My dh will have a sport jacket.

Enjoy your cruise, we love Cunard.

I too am a Cunarder but took a look at the 2017 world for HAL. Very reasonable price for a solo traveler. However, Also coming from NH where dress up is a clean T and better boots for way too many, I will stick with Cunard as long as they demand a top notch dress code. There is nothing better on a world cruise than almost every evening at sea being a formal evening with tuxedos and fines or gowns.. The elegance is not to be matched.

The only one that matches Cunard... in terms of dress code is SAGA. Average two formal, two informal and three casual nights... depending on port days/sea days. This is the routine with Saga.... short cruises or long cruises.

I will stick with Cunard as long as they demand a top notch dress code. There is nothing better on a world cruise than almost every evening at sea being a formal evening with tuxedos and fine dresses or gowns.. The elegance is not to be matched.

Hate to tell you but even Cunard has cut back on formal nights on World Voyages. I was on the 2014 World Voyage on QE and we only had 35 formal nights out of 118 days. (Yes, I said "only" because I, like you, love formal nights).

To the OP....

When I take a World Voyage on HAL I am planning to take the same formal clothes as I would on Cunard. I may be dressier than others sometimes but I enjoy dressing up and never get a chance at home.

Unless I am eating in the Lido, I do change for dinner each night into a dress or evening slacks on all cruises.

Hate to tell you but even Cunard has cut back on formal nights on World Voyages. I was on the 2014 World Voyage on QE and we only had 35 formal nights out of 118 days. (Yes, I said "only" because I, like you, love formal nights).

To the OP....

When I take a World Voyage on HAL I am planning to take the same formal clothes as I would on Cunard. I may be dressier than others sometimes but I enjoy dressing up and never get a chance at home.

Unless I am eating in the Lido, I do change for dinner each night into a dress or evening slacks on all cruises.

I agree. On the right ships it is the easy option is to dress formal... well, for guys at least.