Random Notes from the Mariner, Miami-Miami 3/25-4/8, LIVE

Mr Rumor

WOW! What a lovely gesture! Sounds like this lovely new master is a winner! Have been enjoying all of the blogs as we sail along with you! Will look forward to meeting you on the Explorer TA in November!

Linda

It's a lovely day in Oranjestad, sunny, partly cloudy and about 80. We have our table in the shade on the Pool Deck and we're about to partake of the Indian BBQ Buffet.

It was mission accomplished on the main shopping street (L.G. Smith Boulevard) of Oranjestad this morning. We made it past the souvenir stalls and high-end stores, including Cartier and Louis Vuitton, and came upon a Swatch shop. Ginny wanted an inexpensive, fun watch, and a Swatch watch was just the ticket. Now she has no excuse when she's late for a meet-up with DH and the Little Boss.

Our excursion will take up most of the afternoon. When we return we'll be treated to a performance by a troupe of local musicians and dancers in the Constellation Theater. The show will be part of this cruise's Titanium, Platinum and Gold event.

Well, the buffet is open, so I'll sign off for now!

Rich

Thanks Mudhen and Pamela1! I didn't notice that the meeting time of our excursion ("See and Sea Island Discovery") had been changed to a half hour later, so I have the time to report that the Indian BBQ Lunch Buffet was superb! I returned to the buffet to jot down the names of most of the dishes, to give you an idea of the range of offerings:

Chicken Tandoori

Fish Tandoori

Butter Chicken

Chicken Biryani

Pork Vindaloo

Vegetable Pakor

Aloo Gobi (cauliflower, potatoes and carrots)

Carrot Pachadi Salad

Saffron Rice Salad

Chicken Tikka Salad

Chana Chat Masala Salad

Raita

Mango Chutney

Mint and Coriander Chutney

Tomato Chutney

Several breads including Naan

Several desserts including Carrot Halwa and Kheer

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Thanks Mudhen and Pamela1! I didn't notice that the meeting time of our excursion ("See and Sea Island Discovery") had been changed to a half hour later, so I have the time to report that the Indian BBQ Lunch Buffet was superb! I returned to the buffet to jot down the names of most of the dishes, to give you an idea of the range of offerings:

Chicken Tandoori

Fish Tandoori

Butter Chicken

Chicken Biryani

Pork Vindaloo

Vegetable Pakor

Aloo Gobi (cauliflower, potatoes and carrots)

Carrot Pachadi Salad

Saffron Rice Salad

Chicken Tikka Salad

Chana Chat Masala Salad

Raita

Mango Chutney

Mint and Coriander Chutney

Tomato Chutney

Several breads including Naan

Several desserts including Carrot Halwa and Kheer

Rich

Yum, sounds fabulous!!!!

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Pam.

Sounds like Regent hit a home run with CAPT Melani. Glad to hear that LB got her special invite for dinner. Cant wait to meet her.

I hope you guys really enjoyed Aruba. I have fond memories from the 2000s when on rotation and flying from there for Uncle Sam. Before every sortie, we would gather for the planeside brief and finish up with a little prayer that the plane was broken so we could go back to the beaches.

Z and TB

It's back!

Regent's 14 Layer Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Sauce--Regent's best dessert ever, IMHO--mysteriously disappeared from the Prime 7 dessert menu more than a year ago. According to our server Gideon it made a quiet reappearance last month. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it listed among the Murderer's Row of scrumptious P7 desserts. And, yes, it was as magnificent as ever. I savored every bite, and am ashamed to admit I silently begrudged DW the one little taste that she requested.

Did you know it takes two weeks to make a 14 Layer Valrhona Chocolate Cake? I didn't until Gideon told me. Layer No. 1 on the first day, then you freeze it. Layer No. 2 on the second day, then you freeze it. . . . No wonder the cake was given a forced sabbatical! Kudos to Executive Chef Michael Meyepa for bringing it back. (And, yes, it is still sprinkled with actual gold dust.)

There is something else I want to exclaim about--tonight's featured performer, violinist Amy Lee. I don't recall a Regent performer ever having the trouble Amy had in making it to the ship. She was supposed to join us in Miami but because of what she termed "insane delays" out of O'Hare due to spring break she missed the Mariner. So on to Bogota, to catch the ship in Santa Marta. But then the call to Santa Marta was cancelled! Luckily, Regent was able to reach Amy before she boarded her flight from Bogota to Santa Marta. She was rerouted to Aruba, where she spent the last day and a half on the beach waiting for the Mariner to dock. (Hmmmm, hanging on the beach with nothing else to do--sounds like your dream Aruba scenario, Z!)

We had been briefed on Amy's travel travails by CD Jamie, so when she took the stage tonight she received one of the most enthusiastic welcomes I've heard a guest performer receive on a Regent ship. She returned the favor by giving us a terrific set. She took her 300-year-old German violin to places I didn't expect, such as a Michael Jackson medley and a rendition of an iconic classical piece that I could only describe as Beethoven's Fifth Meets Riverdance. Crazy, and deserving of a standing O, which she received. Regent is extending Ms. Lee's stay with us one night so that she can dazzle with a second all-new show.

I can't end without a few words of appreciation for Youth in Action, the young Aruba dance troupe that performed as part of the Titanium, Platinum and Gold Members Pre-Dinner Show & Cocktail Reception in the Constellation Theater. Youth in Action was founded 24 years ago for the purpose of preserving Aruban culture through dance and performance. Participants range from 4 to 18, although the eight or nine performers who entertained us--with the assistance of none other than Miss Aruba--seemed to range from pre-teen to young teen. The costuming for their Carnival dance was a highlight all by itself. Other dances included the "Ribbon Dance" and "Kill the Hen" (featuring three "guest" performers from the audience).

In the morning: Kralendijk, Bonaire. Beach lover Ginny gets to swim, sun and beachcomb at the Spice Beach Club while tour-bus-loving Shauna, accompanied by dad, goes on the "Bonaire Highlights and Cultural Explorer" excursion.

Rich

It's back!

There is something else I want to exclaim about--tonight's featured performer, violinist Amy Lee. I don't recall a Regent performer ever having the trouble Amy had in making it to the ship. She was supposed to join us in Miami but because of what she termed "insane delays" out of O'Hare due to spring break she missed the Mariner. So on to Bogota, to catch the ship in Santa Marta. But then the call to Santa Marta was cancelled! Luckily, Regent was able to reach Amy before she boarded her flight from Bogota to Santa Marta. She was rerouted to Aruba, where she spent the last day and a half on the beach waiting for the Mariner to dock. (Hmmmm, hanging on the beach with nothing else to do--sounds like your dream Aruba scenario, Z!)

Rich

We don't know whether our story of entertainers having trouble getting on board tops yours; but our story involved the entire Jean Ann Ryan troupe. Our Monaco to Rio cruise was immediately after Hurricane Sandy in 2012, and there was a snowstorm on the East coast the day after election day (our sailing was on Friday). With Regent help, we flew on Tuesday (election night), rather than on Wednesday night as scheduled (kudos to the Marriott La Porte de Monaco Hotel that arranged an extra night on short notice), and had an extra day in Monaco. The JAR troupe was not so lucky. Their Wednesday night connection from Florida to JFK was cancelled, and they couldn't get a Thursday flight. They ending up missing the ship, and I think they may have missed the first stop (Barcelona) as well. When they finally got to the ship, they needed rehearsal time; so the entire entertainment schedule had to be shuffled. When they did perform, they were one of the best JAR troupes ever, with both singers and the specialty dancers especially good.

We're glad your entertainment has been terrific. Let's hope we do as well on our 9/3 Mariner cruise from San Francisco to NYC.

Edited by Joanandjoe

That's a great JAR story, thanks for sharing, Joanandjoe. By the way, Jean Ann Ryan's general manager, Eric, is on the ship in support of the new cast. We had a nice chat.

Well on the sixth day of our cruise I finally have something I could complain about: no newspapers.

"Due to some technical problems in our newspaper printer," the note that I receive each a.m. In lieu of my three newspapers I ordered, free of charge, as a Gold and above amenity, "we still (are) not able to print all the newspapers for today." Once the machine is fixed, the note continues, the newspaper printing and delivery will resume.

But am I actually complaining? Nahhhh, life is too good on this cruise!

We're reunited at our shady table on the Pool Deck. Ginny reports that her Spice Beach Club excursion was "peaceful and comfortable." Shauna's and my drive around the island, with a stop sprinkled here and there, was the same. Our Bonaire buses only sat 15, which was of interest to Shauna, as she loves tour buses in a variety of shapes and sizes. By our last stop, where some old slave huts are located on a beach, her contentment was such that she had to steal hugs from receptionist Sara from Barcelona, who accompanied us, and tour guide Eric and bus driver Bill.

We have a couple of hours to fill before Trivia, so we think we might mosey into Kralendijk now. . . .

Rich

P.S. Thank for the kind words, fizzy! Rachel, I'm trying to limit my sweets on this cruise but I was a goner when I saw the word "Valrhona."

I tried to post earlier, but the Internet was down for two hours this morning while Miami-based EMC, Regent's shipboard internet provider, was doing some testing on the 62 ships around the world that it services. (More soon on the substantial internet upgrade already underway on the Regent ships in preparation for the move to unlimited internet access for all passengers this spring.)

Today is our fourth sea day before a string of five port calls in a row, starting with St. George's (Grenada) tomorrow. For the first time this cruise I put the "Privacy" card up on our door, as I wanted to let Ginny and Shauna sleep in.

We have a pretty full dance card today! The action started at 10 with a Future Cruise Presentation with Cruise Consultant Gudrun in the Constellation Theater, and is about to continue at 11 with the last of four Bruce Chadwick lectures on "Villains of the Caribbean." Today's bad guys are the notorious Doc and Baby Doc Duvalier of Haiti.

Next we will continue our tour of cuisines of the world with the Italian BBQ Lunch Buffet on Pool Deck. Later in the afternoon it'll be another go at Trivia with our friends Jim and Karen and Bill and Kay, followed by the Seven Seas Society cocktail party in the theater, followed by our second Prime 7 dinner in three days, followed by the Jean Ann Ryan "Film Flashback," the production company's ode to classic musicals of the '80s, including "Dirty Dancing," "Footloose" and. "Fame." Fun!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

I'm still making time to post, Linda!

Bandwidth expansion is currently underway on the Mariner as EMC, Regent's Miami-based Internet provider, prepares each of the Regent ships for the amenity of unlimited internet access for all starting in May. (EMC purchased MTN, Regent's previous ISP, at the end of last year.)

I spoke with computer consultant Nenad of EMC, who estimated that after the bandwidth is expanded, the Mariner's (as well as Voyager's and Navigator's) Internet will be 2.5 times faster than it is today. Nenad added that the increased bandwidth should be able to more than cover the estimated 40-50 additional regular computer users once unlimited access for everyone kicks in.

According to Nenad, bandwidth expansion isn't the only internet enhancement in the works. He noted that the Riverbed program, which is used to capture popular sites like Gmail, Facebook, CNN, etc., is being replaced by a sister program, Speednet, which is 4x faster. Also, Nenad added that he has been busy updating programs such as Windows. All the Mariner computers now have Windows 8.

One change that is not currently in the works is video streaming, so the likes of FaceTime and Skype will apparently remain "blocked." The same goes for photo-sharing websites such as Photobucket (which explains why I can't get it to open so that I can post photos while onboard). According to Nenad, it is simply a matter of budget. Video streaming would require a further expansion of bandwidth. Nenad: "We (EMC) can upgrade to Space Shuttle speed if a client wants to pay for it!"

Of course, Nenad's work on enhancements is in addition to his main jobs of helping passengers with their computer questions and issues, as well as closely monitoring usage. Regarding the latter, he noted that peak usage time is between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on sea days, when as many as 230 people might be online at the same time. Non-peak time is any day after 6 p.m.

Nenad shared one other number that might surprise anyone who depends on the Internet for checking e-mail or keeping up with the news (or blogging a cruise): 130. That is the number of passengers on this cruise who have free internet but who haven't used it yet!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

We are sailing with 458 crew members from 38 countries. Male crew far outnumber female: 370-88. No fewer than 293 work in Food and Beverage (this includes the Housekeeping staff) under F&B Director Daniela Oancea.

As usual, the Philippines is far and away the No. 1 country in terms of staffing, with 157 (131 males/26 females), and, as always, Indonesia (64/5) and India (66/0) follow.

Here is the complete Crew Nationality Breakdown for this cruise:

Philippines 157

Indonesia 69

India 66

Honduras 23

United Kingdom 16

Bulgaria 14

Italy 13

Romania 13

Ukraine 10

Serbia 8

South Africa 8

United States 7

France 6

Croatia 5

Poland 5

Belarus 4

Greece 3

Spain 3

Argentina 2

Barbados 2

Brazil 2

Hungary 2

Netherlands 2

Portugal 2

Thailand 2

Turkey 2

Canada 1

Chile 1

Germany 1

Jamaica 1

Montenegro 1

Mauritius 1

Mexico 1

New Zealand 1

Russian Federation 1

Sweden 1

Slovenia 1

Venezuela 1

Rich

Mr. Rumor you continue to do an excellent job so I am leaving the posting up to you.

Our cruise continues to be excellent in every way. The staff and crew are exceptional in their eagerness to please. Our two shore excursions, both sailing and snorkeling were very professional as well as a great deal of fun. We felt like we were being looked after. Shore excursion staff is pleasant, efficient and very accommodating.

Tonight was sea bass night, one of our favorites. It was excellent as usual.

Regent is on top of their game. Good for us!

Edited by Eager2Travel

Ann, you must be referring to the Miso-Glazed Sea Bass, one of my favorites. I'd be jealous except for the fact I had a terrific fresh cod in Prime 7 tonight. It was tonight's Dry Boat Special. Of course, I just had to have another slice of the 14 Layer Valrhona Chocolate Cake for dessert. It is so rich, I almost regretted doing so. (Almost.)

Jim B., the life boat drill started at 5:15 on March 25, and, yes, we departed the Port of Miami at 6 p.m.

We were one of three Trivia teams that finished with 13 correct answers this afternoon, so Social Hostess Sarah went to a tiebreaker question: What year was Walt Disney's "Steamboat Willie," the first fully synchronized sound cartoon, released? The year 1928 popped into my head, and it happened to be right, so Just Guessing emerged with its first victory, and 18 more Regent Rewards Points for Shauna!

It was worth it being first in line for Jean Ann Ryan's "Film Flashback," featuring songs and melodies from "Fame," "Top Gun," "Risky Business," "Footloose," "Indiana Jones," "Dirty Dancing," "Flashdance" and "Blues Brothers." Shauna watched in rapt attention from our front-row center seats, and her mom and dad enjoyed every number, too.

Well, we have the longest tour tomorrow ("Discover Grenada," seven hours) and earliest meeting time (8:30 a.m.), so that's a wrap for today. Seven wonderful days down, still seven to go!

Rich

Thanks and good morning, Jean!

The ship that is occupying the St. George's berth that the Mariner reserved for the day has mechanical problems and can't move, so the joke is on us this April Fool's morning: We have to tender! We weren't scheduled to tender until Gustavia, St. Bart's, our final port. Tendering is a big deal when you have to pull the operation together upon scant notice, so it will be interesting to see how this could delay passengers getting ashore, making connections with our tours, etc. We'll find out!

Rich

Mr. Rumor:

Thanks for recently posting background info regarding the incredible 14 layer cake. I saw it on the Navigator last month and, alas, I did not try it (The Boss told me I need to drop my waistline size from "equator"). Had I known, I would have ordered it and enjoyed every single bite.

Z and TB