Random Notes from the Mariner, Miami-Miami 3/25-4/8, LIVE

Mr Rumor

I just did a very lengthy lovely post that got lost because the Internet dropped me. I went into detail I almost never do. In utter disgust I am now going to read my mystery book. Keep up the good work Mr Rumor . I am too discouraged to try again. Lesson learned don't do it on the IPad where I don't know how to save it.

Everything is wonderful onboard!

Ann- write your posts on the iPad in the Notes app. It will save them and then just select, copy and paste into CC

Glad you are having a nice cruise.

Tina

Happy birthday to Rich and Ginny! And me too! Do you guys have a special meal planned tonight? This would be a good P7 evening.

Ann, I feel your frustration at losing a lengthy post. It took me quite a while to learn the trick about writing it in notes then copying and pasting.

Rachel, we did, in fact, order a special Compass Rose birthday meal--East Indian, a rare treat for us. Hendro and Deputy Head Waiter Mark served up a trio of curries--beef, chicken and vegetable--with naan and basmati rice. Very tasty and medium hot, just as I had ordered.

After the plates were cleared, Hendro faked us out by delivering the usual dessert menus. From his station he could read our "What, no birthday cake?" looks. A couple of minutes later, he, Mark and Room Service Supervisor Seth showed up at our table with two big pieces of a luscious-looking chocolate birthday cake with layers of chocolate ganache and strawberry cream. A great and loud (with harmony!) rendition of "Happy Birthday" followed. Hendro then turned the two slices into three--impishly delivering the biggest piece to Little Boss (we immediately evened the servings out when he turned his back).

Speaking of Shauna, she is already racking up the Regent Rewards Points, mostly courtesy of our friends Jim and Karen and new friends Bill and Kaye. The six of us finished second at Trivia today, and Shauna was gifted with all the cards.

By the way, at the sailaway Karen showed up with a stylish black teeshirt for Shauna that she had designed, emblazoned with the Regent "R" in rhinestones. It is so cool! Shauna was delighted to wear it around the ship today.

After dinner we decided to take in Sonia Selbie's show in the Constellation Theater and we were glad we did. A British (but now living in Nashville) singer/comedienne in the style of Liza Minnelli, she put on a great show, earning a rare Regent standing ovation.

We get to turn our clock back one hour tonight, an extra birthday present. We have a lot to look forward to tomorrow--an Easter Sunday interdenominational church service with Jamie, Bruce Chadwick's talk on Blackbeard the Pirate, a Greek BBQ Lunch Buffet, an afternoon nap (Shauna was mostly unconscious during Selbie's show), Trivia, the Block Party, and dinner in Signatures. These are my kind of sea days!

Rich

Sounds like everyone is having a wonderful time! Congrats on all those birthdays! For the first time in my life, I'll get to celebrate one in May on board "one of the OTHER ships", but still fun! Happy Easter to all!

Linda

Happy Easter and a belated Happy Birthday to you, Ginny, and Rachel.

I just read your comments about our Margarita adventure in Key West. Makes me want to drive down to the Keys.

Please do NOT pull one of my stunts during the block party where I invited half the folks on the eighth deck to a private tour of old San Juan conducted by yours truly. A couple showed up that I had no recollection meeting due overdoing it with wine the previous night. Needles to say, TB read me my rights and gave me the evil eye.

Enjoy today's sea day!

Z and TB

Hi future cruising companions Mudhen and Z, and Happy Easter to you!

Breaking news to report on this Easter Sunday: Our first port, Santa Marta, has been cancelled.

It was really an easy call for Regent and Captain Serena Milani to make: Either continue on the current course toward Santa Marta and sail into the eye of a tropical depression with estimated 50-knot winds and 20-foot seas, or skirt the mess and sail on to the next port, Oranjestad, and perhaps arrive even several hours earlier than the previously announced noon arrival. Captain Serena announced the smart decision over the loudspeakers at 10:20 this morning, local time.

We've heard nary a grumble from fellow passengers, and we're just fine with a third sea day to start the cruise. As it is we are experiencing a fair amount of motion on our new course this morning, enough to send a Jean Ann Ryan star prop swaying above the stage in the Constellation Theater this morning during the church service--which prompted CD Jamie to warn us not to look at it lest we get hypnotized, "or, worse, seasick." So far so good on that front, even motion-sensitive Ginny. Hail the patch!

Rich

Hi future cruising companions Mudhen and Z, and Happy Easter to you!

Breaking news to report on this Easter Sunday: Our first port, Santa Marta, has been cancelled.

It was really an easy call for Regent and Captain Serena Milani to make: Either continue on the current course toward Santa Marta and sail into the eye of a tropical depression with estimated 50-knot winds and 20-foot seas, or skirt the mess and sail on to the next port, Oranjestad, and perhaps arrive even several hours earlier than the previously announced noon arrival. Captain Serena announced the smart decision over the loudspeakers at 10:20 this morning, local time.

Rich

Tropical depression?? Really? Here is actual tropical discussion:

Tropical Weather Discussion

axnt20 knhc 271723

twdat

Tropical weather discussion

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL

205 PM EDT sun Mar 27 2016

Tropical weather discussion for North America...Central

America...Gulf of Mexico...Caribbean Sea...northern sections of

South America...and Atlantic Ocean to the African coast from the

Equator to 32n. The following information is based on satellite

imagery...weather observations...radar...and meteorological

analysis.

Based on 1200 UTC surface analysis and satellite imagery through

1715 UTC.

...ITCZ/monsoon trough...

The monsoon trough extends from the coast of W Africa near 06n10

W to the tropical E Atlc waters near 03n23w. A surface trough

extends from 04n25w to 01n26w. W of the trough...the ITCZ

extends from 02n29w to 00n46w. Scattered moderate convection

prevails from 02s to 05n between 15w-40w. Isolated moderate

convection is observed along the boundaries E of 15w and W

of 40w.

...Discussion...

Gulf of Mexico...

An unstable environment prevails across the NE portion of the

basin where a warm front extends from 29n90w to 29n85w to

30n84w. Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms prevail

in the vicinity of the front mainly N of 28n and E of 89w. To

the SW...a surface trough extends across the Bay of Campeche

from 23n92w to 18n93w. A broad area of high pressure centered

across the tropical Atlantic extends across the remainder of the

basin. Latest surface observations are reporting patchy fog

across the NW Gulf N of 27n and W of 90w ahead of a cold front

currently located over the Texas coastline. Scatterometer data

depicts moderate to fresh se winds in the proximity of the front

across the NE Gulf N of 26n and E of 90w while a gentle to

moderate se flow prevails elsewhere. Expect over the next 24

hours for a cold front to move over the NW Gulf with convection.

The warm front across the NE Gulf will continue moving N.

Caribbean Sea...

A broad area of high pressure at low levels centered over the

Atlantic extends S across the basin. With this and dry

air/subsidence aloft dominating the Caribbean...fair weather

prevails across the area. The pressure gradient between the

surface ridging to the N and lower pressures over central and S

America supports fresh to strong trades over the central

Caribbean between 69w-77w while moderate to fresh trades are

occurring elsewhere. The pressure gradient across the region

will relax over the next 24 hours...which will support

diminishing trades.

Hispaniola...

Isolated showers in the easterly trades will continue moving

over island today. This weather pattern is expected to continue

over the next 24 hours.

Atlantic Ocean...

An active upper-level subtropical jet and stationary front just

to the N of our area of discussion supports isolated showers N

of 28n W of 65w. To the E...a broad ridge anchored by a 1030 mb

high centered near 31n54w and a 1029 mb high near 33n29w extends

across the remainder of the basin. Scatterometer data depicts

moderate to fresh trades across the Atlantic S of 25n...while

locally fresh to strong winds prevail S of 22n mainly N of

Hispaniola and the Mona Passage. Over the next 24 hours...

convection is expected to continue N of the Bahamas as a frontal

boundary lingers N of the area and the active subtropical jet

remains over the region. A cold front will move offshore the

FL/GA coasts by early Monday.

For additional information please visit

http://www.Hurricanes.Gov/marine

$$

Era

Emphasis added.

Winds, yes; tropical depression, no. Nothing upsets me more than disinformation.

edited to add: Here are current and forecast seas:

.Caribbean from 10.5n to 14n between 74w and 76w NE to E winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 10 to 13 ft. Elsewhere from 10.5n to 17.5n between 69w and 78w E winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 8 to 12 ft. From 09n to 17n between 78w and 81w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 10 ft in NE to E swell. From 12n to 16n between 65w and 69w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 ft in E swell. .24 hour forecast from 10.5n to 15n between 70w and 78w NE to E winds 20 to 25 kt...except 25 to 30 kt S of 13.5n between 74w and 76w. Seas 8 to 11 ft...except 10 to 12 ft S of 13.5n between 74w and 76w. From 09n to 17n between 78w and 81.5w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 10 ft in NE to E swell. .27 hour forecast from 11n to 13.5n between 73w and 77.5w NE to E winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 9 to 12 ft. Elsewhere from 9.5n to 17n between 66w and 81.5w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 11 ft in NE to E swell. .33 hour forecast from 11n to 13n between 72w and 76w NE to winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 8 to 10 ft. Elsewhere from 10n to 16n between 68w and 81w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 9 ft in NE to E swell. .39 hour forecast within 60 nm of coast of Colombia NE winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 8 to 10 ft. Elsewhere from 10n to 16n between 69w and 76w and from 10n to 15.5n between 76w and 81w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 9 ft in NE to E swell. .48 hour forecast from 11n to 13n between 73w and 76w NE to E winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 8 to 10 ft. Elsewhere from 10.5n to 15.5n between 70w and 78w winds 20 kt or less. Seas 8 to 9 ft in NE swell.

Marc

Edited by Marq

I am making a second attempt to try and capture some of our wonderful experiences onboard to relate to those at home. This is not my best skill set. After a magnificent dinner in Signatures I hastened to the Internet cafe to capture it all while still vivid. Here I met challenge #2. I forgot my password and was unable to post using the public computer. Not to be discouraged we are in our cabin relaxing before the show and I am making yet another attempt. I am doing this in Notes on the IPad and will try and find Mr. Rumor tomorrow to show me how to do copy and paste in order to post. Thank you to those that feel my pain!

We had a great first day starting with a wonderful lunch at a perfect table on the aft deck gazing at the Miami skyline . The welcoming champagne turned into Prosecco provided by a charming server from Naples. Next came Cappuccino in the Coffee Connection prepared by Elvis. While sipping the Cappuccino Davor, the very capable and gracious GM appeared and greeted us. He remembered us because of the special Trivia team we were part of on a prior cruise. It consisted of us, TC ,Mr. TC, Tallship and her lovely mother.

The day was topped off by an unexpected fabulous dinner in Prime 7. Shel plowed through 2 pounds of crab legs and I had an excellent filet. Shel finished with the special sundae wth two scoops of ice cream topped with fudge sauce, Carmel corn and salted peanuts. I practiced willpower and had some delicious fresh berries.

Life is good!

The Cruise Critic m&g was a non happening for us as we didn't find anyone in the Observation Lounge that was obviously a CC gathering. All was not lost as I had an excellent Mojito and Shel a Whiskey Sour as we sailed away from Miami. We did manage to bump into Rich, Ginny and Shauna after dinner. We hope to see more of them.

That's it for now. Hopefully this post will eventually make its way to the Regent board or I may throw this device overboard .

We just finished the excellent Greek buffet. It was delicious! The weather is perfect sitting out here in the shade on the pool deck. Mr. Rumor is sitting next to us and walked me through the above operation. He is need a very patient man. Shauna is sitting with us as well.

So far the weather is lovely with a nice breeze.

Thank you, Gilly. By the way, I'm a big admirer of your blog!

I'm in our cabin with Shauna, who is napping while Ginny relaxes poolside. I had a delightful post-lunch chat with Ann and Shel on the Pool Deck, highlighted by the successful posting of her "A late report" report. We let out a little whoop when we saw it on the thread. Ann, please favor us with another post or three now that you have the hang of this copy-and-paste thing!

Seas are calmer than they were this morning and from our starboard cabin I don't see a single cloud. Temp is a lovely 80.

I have an update on the Red Code alert. As the Mariner has been "clear" (no reported cases of GI) since March 14, the Mariner may return to Code Green at any time. In fact, the ship has the official OK from Regent headquarters to do so at its discretion. However, utilizing an abundance of caution, the decision has been made onboard to stick with Code Red I for now. Again, Code Red I does not impact passengers (we can serve ourselves at the buffet, utilize the laundry, etc.) but rather reflects the ship's stepped-out sanitation procedures.

We have a lot of veteran Regent cruisers on this voyage! Would you believe 34 Titaniums alone? We've never been on a Regent cruise with so many fellow passengers who have sailed at least 400 nights. In fact, I can recall an Alaska cruise where we had only two T's. My guess is that this cruise might be just the ticket for longtime cruisers who don't want, or are unable, to fly to other parts of the world, but who like the idea of a two-week warm weather cruise in early spring.

Here is the full cruising-tier rundown:

Titanium 34

Platinum 47

Gold 132

Silver 240

Rich

I can't tell you how delighted I am that the end of Code Red is in sight on Mariner! Though it'll undoubtedly be a relief for everyone, I can't begin to imagine how relieved the crew will be to get back to normal.

Calm sea, cloudless sky, 80 degrees? I am envious! Wish I was there ;-)

(glad you enjoy my blog, Rich - thank you)

Also just wondering how you were already privy to the numbers of past guests on board 🤔 But then again I suppose all one has to do is ask the right person! Glad you have found favor with Hendro. He was "our" waiter on last year's Grand Voyage on the Voyager and we're thrilled that he was already on board when we joined the Mariner this past January. Hint: if he's not available consider asking for Sherwin, another excellent waiter.

I (and sometimes Kwaj Boy) generally participate in the games like bag go and are in the corner team at Trivia. Gotta get ready for the Block Party....we are on 8 port.

Tropical depression?? Really? Here is actual tropical discussion:

Emphasis added.

Winds, yes; tropical depression, no. Nothing upsets me more than disinformation.

edited to add: Here are current and forecast seas:

Marc

Living in Florida and the hurricane belt it is not a tropical depression. We are way out of hurricane season. This would be a low pressure area. Don't go through the Drake Passage where this is the norm.

Also just wondering how you were already privy to the numbers of past guests on board 🤔 But then again I suppose all one has to do is ask the right person!

Kwaj, there is one person on board who has those numbers handy and Rich met with her yesterday. :)

Rich, thank you for all your reports; can't wait to get onboard.

Mr. Rumor, thank you and all of your mates for the postings on your cruise. As I stated, my wife and I along with another couple are taking our first Regent cruise in May to Alaska on the Mariner. There has been some apparent misinformation published on Message Board Forum regarding the condition of the Mariner and food quality. Your posting has significantly reduced my anxiety level, thank you so much. BTW, we are going to stay in a Penthouse cabin, if you have any insight into that type of cabin and the real services offered, that would be much appreciated. I made the mistake of asking a question, my very first question on the Community Message Board if "dress denim pants" NOT LEVI JEANS, along with a collared shirt and sports jacket were allowed after 6PM. My gosh, you'd think I asked if I could bring drugs on the ship, I was besieged with snarky, irrational and snotty responses by some folks who got their underwear in a knot, speaking to me like they are Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island. Its my first cruise with Regent and my Regent advisor said some cruises allow dress jeans in the evening and some don't. Mr. Rumor, your comments are fun to read and a breath of fresh air to me, the new guy. Enjoy, keep them coming.

Mr. Rumor, thank you and all of your mates for the postings on your cruise. As I stated, my wife and I along with another couple are taking our first Regent cruise in May to Alaska on the Mariner. There has been some apparent misinformation published on Message Board Forum regarding the condition of the Mariner and food quality. Your posting has significantly reduced my anxiety level, thank you so much. BTW, we are going to stay in a Penthouse cabin, if you have any insight into that type of cabin and the real services offered, that would be much appreciated. I made the mistake of asking a question, my very first question on the Community Message Board if "dress denim pants" NOT LEVI JEANS, along with a collared shirt and sports jacket were allowed after 6PM. My gosh, you'd think I asked if I could bring drugs on the ship, I was besieged with snarky, irrational and snotty responses by some folks who got their underwear in a knot, speaking to me like they are Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island. Its my first cruise with Regent and my Regent advisor said some cruises allow dress jeans in the evening and some don't. Mr. Rumor, your comments are fun to read and a breath of fresh air to me, the new guy. Enjoy, keep them coming.

You asked a very simple question and got the reaction that I expected as this seems to come up more on the Regent board then others. When you ask about dress code policy or tipping policy, you can bet it will create a firestorm of opinions. If you mention denims in any form some poster will say it is policy over and over again. If you mention tipping and claim you do tip...God help you because staunch Regent cheerleaders will pull the policy card on you.

Do yourself a favor and don't let a few of the Regent dictators get to you and ruin your cruise before you go. This board only is a very small demographic of Regent sailors. You probably will say to yourself when you cruise...what was all the fuss about and you will have a great time and meet real nice people as you should on any luxury line.

Edited by Suite Travels

Glad to have you along, Ravenscroft!

So, Kwaj Girl, you and KB are on the Trivia team that has been mowing down the competition, missing only two questions in two days? You've left our team scrambling just to place "in the money"! By the way, I was looking for you on Saturday morning when I was investigating the spot on Deck 12 where the emergency replacement generator had been located, but you were nowhere to be found. Maybe today we'll meet on the Pool Deck, at the International Lunch Buffet? I expect to be there with Little Boss and Big Boss.

Thanks, Marq, I hope these reports will help to have you well-prepped by the time we turn the Mariner over to you.

LLL, I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. I just spoke with one person regarding your dress denim pants question and want to do a little more "research" before getting back to you, so please stay tuned. I think you are going to love your Penthouse suite. As you probably know, Penthouses on the Mariner are significantly larger than the regular suites (not so much so on the Voyager). I think you are also going to love Alaska in May (although Alaska weather, of course, is predictably unpredictable any month during the season). Our two Regent Alaska cruises, aboard the Navigator, were in May. You won't find many children/families on the May cruises.

Our Mid-Cruise Comments forms were waiting for us on our bed when we returned to our room last night. It used to annoy me to receive this form days before the actual midpoint of the cruise, but now I appreciate why Regent would want to know as soon as possible "if there is anything we can do at this time to make your cruise experience more enjoyable." The answer for us, by the way, is not a single thing. We are having a wonderful time!

In a few minutes Shauna will receive a watercolor lesson from our new friend Claudia in the Coffee Connection, while I attend Bruce Chadwick's third "Villains of the Caribbean" talk. The bad guy today is Rafael Trujillo, "the flamboyant dictator of the Dominican Republic" who was "cut down in a hail of gunfire in 1961." I'm enjoying Chadwick, a former newspaper man like me. He knows how to spin a tale. Plus he actually talks to us rather than reading from his iPad! I have no tolerance for enrichment-lecture readers.

Later in the day it will be Trivia with Jim and Karen and Bill and Kaye. Then after dinner we will be front row and center for the new Jean Ann Ryan cast's first performance, "Backstage Pass."

One other activity I wanted to mention is the "Ship Wide "Down Home" Get-Together" from 6-6:30 p.m. The "Get-Together" is new to us, although CD Jamie said he came up with the idea about a year and a half ago. As Passages states, "Get out to meet other guests from where you're from. . . . If there are five or more persons from either your country or state we have set up a gathering for you." (There are also gatherings for countries and states--like for us New Mexicans--that were "unassigned.")

This is a big deal! Passages list no fewer than five country get-togethers and 22 individual state get-togethers, and they're spread all over the ship, including the Horizon Lounge, various locations in the Observation Lounge, Stars Lounge, Mariner Bar, etc.

The listing includes the number of passengers from each state. Curious to know which states are best represented aboard this cruise? OK, here's the Top 10:

Florida 140

California 45

Georgia 18

New York 18

North Carolina 18

Pennsylvania 17

Ohio 13

Arizona 12

Oregon 12

New Jersey 11

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Thanks for the posts... I'm on board as well (7 aft) and the reporting is well written and accurate!

I do have a question about seating in the Compass Rose for those of you with more experience (my second cruise ever but both on the Mariner). I seem to get the same awesome waiter (Sherwin) every time...is that by chance or design?

btw...We'll be staying in 10 aft for the Montreal->Miami in the fall and again Miami->San Fran next spring...we really love this 'all inclusive' thing, the extra large balcony, and the Champagne and Vodka in the room are nice!!

Thanks for the posts... I'm on board as well (7 aft) and the reporting is well written and accurate!

I do have a question about seating in the Compass Rose for those of you with more experience (my second cruise ever but both on the Mariner). I seem to get the same awesome waiter (Sherwin) every time...is that by chance or design?

btw...We'll be staying in 10 aft for the Montreal->Miami in the fall and again Miami->San Fran next spring...we really love this 'all inclusive' thing, the extra large balcony, and the Champagne and Vodka in the room are nice!!

You can certainly request Sherwin every night when you are ready to dine. They will be more than happy to accommodate you though occasionally you may have a short wait if he does not have an open table in his area when you arrive. He is one of our favorites, too, though like Mr Rumor we usually dine in Hendro's section. He was our waiter last year for our Grand Voyage and we were happy to see him on board when we joined the ship 1/13.

It was a mix of the familiar and new tonight in the Constellation Theater as the Mariner's brand-new Jean Ann Ryan cast performed one of the Ryan mainstay shows of the last couple of years, "Backstage Pass." The production includes tunes from "Cabaret," "Jersey Boys," "Rock of Ages" and "Memphis," and was performed well and received enthusiastically. Singers Adam Brown and Jenna Cook have big voices and were impressive.

We may have lost Santa Marta, but we did gain an extra three and a half hours in our first port, Oranjestad. We are scheduled to dock at 8:30 a.m. As the city center is within walking distance of the cruise terminal, we may take advantage of our extra time in port by taking a morning stroll into town. The first of the nine tours isn't scheduled to depart until 11:45 a.m. Ours ("Sea & Sea Island Discovery") has a 12:45 meeting time in the Constellation Theater, which will give us enough time to partake of the Indian BBQ Lunch Buffet.

Tonight we have to return the hour we were gifted with the other night, but before I close I'd like to give a tip of the hat to drcandon for his comprehensive, well-written account of his recent Mariner cruise ("Mariner Review Rio to Miami"). I also wanted to add an exclamation point for his praise of our captain, Serena Melani, Regent's first female captain. Captain Melani assumed command of the Mariner last month.

At the Captain's Reception on Saturday, Shauna--who clearly had her good-vibe detector turned on--strode right up to the captain with her arms outstretched. Captain Melani didn't miss a beat, wrapping Shauna in her arms and flashing a big smile.

I returned to our cabin yesterday at mid-day to find an envelope addressed to "Ms. Wiseman." Inside was an invitation to Shauna to join the captain for dinner in Compass Rose that night. In a separate invite, mom and dad were invited to tag along.

Dinner was leisurely and lovely (we were joined by Jennifer and John, our friendly competitors at Trivia). We left with the warmest feeling for Regent's newest master, who clearly has a love and appreciation for people with special challenges.

Rich