Random Notes from the Mariner, Miami-Miami 3/25-4/8, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Thanks, dlouise and Mudhen: it was the last of so many special onboard moments with Shauna.

We had some excitement we could have done without after we stepped off our airport shuttle at Miami International: no Shauna suitcase! I had watched it being loaded on the bus, so was stunned. But before I was able to rev up into panic mode, one of the other passengers on our bus came running towards us from inside the terminal: "I have your bag!" He had somehow managed to mistake Shauna's very unusual purple/heather-colored bag for his and his wife's reddish bag.

I ran into the airport after him and was reunited with the bag upstairs. But then I looked behind and saw no Ginny or Shauna. I ran outside. Not there. Then I ran back inside and looked the length of baggage claim. There they were about 100 yards away. I think I shook baggage claim with my yell: "GINNNNNNNNNY!"

There were a couple of other hiccups at the airport which I won't go into. We finally made it our departure gate, and just now got the news our flight has been delayed. So now I have the time to share our "Hop On Hop Off" experience in Miami.

It was all too short. We made it as far as the Bayside Marketplace, about five minutes from the ship. We had been told by a Big Bus rep at the port that we had enough time to take one of the three sightseeing loops before returning to the marketplace to claim our luggage and hop on the shuttle bus to Miami International for our 2 p.m. flight.

It is a good thing I approached another rep at the marketplace before we boarded the Miami Beach Loop bus. She told us the bus would return too late for us to make the 11:45 airport shuttle and that our only bet was the one-hour Green Line tour. Just as she spoke those words, a Green Line bus whizzed by us. "When's the next one?" I asked. "Not until 11:30." So, no tour of any kind for us. We walked around the marketplace for a while.

I don't blame Destination Services for our little face. We had a 2 p.m. flight out of Miami in 2013 and were able to easily bit in our Miami Beach Loop tour. I don't really blame the Big Bus rep at the airport for telling us we had enough time for one tour, although she could have advised us to check with one of her colleagues at the marketplace to make sure.

So who does that leave? The Port of Miami! Passengers could not leave the ship until all baggage was off the ship and in the terminal, and this morning debarkation started late. We were the last to debark, at 9:35 instead of 9:15. If we had debarked on time we would have made it to the marketplace in time to take the Green Line instead of seeing a little red. Oh well. Moral of the story: It is always a good idea in situations like this one to confirm details such as connection times. If we had taken the Miami Beach Loop tour we could have conceivably missed our flight.

We're hoping now that the rest of our travel day is very boring!

Rich

Mr Rumour

Thanks so much for your blog which gave us a perfect 'virtual cruise' and a few near-to-tears moments (in a good way). You write so descriptively and with such feeling :)

Having ended a couple of Regent cruises in Miami, we do feel the debarkation process etc is not the best. Having late flights back to the UK we also opted for the hop-on, hop-off tours; we did not find them to be a luxury experience and could not understand why the shuttle bus dumped us on the arrivals level at Miami airport, some half-a-mile away from the departure desk (with no luggage porters). It was definitely a let-down at the end of what had been a superb cruise :(

Being Regent's home port we are very surprised that they cannot do better :confused:

Really enjoyed your posts and excellent reporting. Going to miss it.

IRT above Miami glitches, I live here and I am the first to admit that Miami marches to its own beat. If doable recommend to disembark carrying your luggage since finding it after disembarking requires a GPS, ouija board, and a search team.

BTW, Rich, I've spent some time in Albuquerque for training at Kirkland AFB which is where I fell in love with chile verdes. I miss the carnitas with chile verde.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've made it back safe and sound to the Land of Enchantment, but the hoped-for "boring" return wasn't quite meant to be. For the first time in my flying career our plane was grounded for an hour at Miami due to the need to "defuel"--the plane was too heavy to be allowed to land at DFW! The inconvenience (more than an inconvenience for a few who missed their connecting flights) was almost worth it to hear the captain's running commentary. Let's just say he was not pleased with the City of Miami for taking its sweet time to send "a guy" over to do the defueling.

One more first in all my flying years--and I hope a "last": I left my iPad aboard the plane in ABQ! It was promptly fetched by an American Airlines worker.

I have a tradition of ending my live reports with a few snaps--enjoy!

Rich

Aruba's "Youth in Action" delighted those at the Titanium, Platinum and Gold event.

youth%20in%20action%20in%20action_zps1vnurkno.jpg

Rum making the old-fashioned way at Grenada's historic River Antoine.

making%20rum%20at%20river%20antoine_zps2fxfusfj.jpg

I thought for a moment I had walked into a Caribbean version of Butchart Gardens. (Jardin de Balata, Martinique)

jardin%20de%20balata%20fort-de-france%20martinque_zps4e4vihle.jpg

A cannon that fires rainbows! (St. Kitts' Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park)

cannon%20fires%20rainbow%20at%20brimstone%20hill%20fortress_zpsqpbczb1l.jpg

Again, thanks for traveling along with me, and for all your comments! Now, Captain Serena and Shauna would like to say, "Ciao for now!"

shauna%20and%20captain%20serena_zps1mvkpglg.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Mr Rumor, I'm sorry you had additional hassle on your way home, but thankfully it sounds as though all's well that ends well. Your story of leaving your iPad on the plane reinforces my opinion of ABQ, where the most delightful TSA people sent us through security with smiles on our faces as a result of their friendly and welcoming attitude. Totally professional (of course) but utterly charming as well. ABQ proved it can be done! I requested a compliment slip to leave with the supervisor, who could find only complaint forms - so the fun continued a little longer whilst he found a suitable card on which I could write. How much better it is to remember the good things, eh?

Glad you're home safely but so sorry our cruise is over... :-( I really enjoyed it!

Rich - -

I have been following Cruise Critic since retiring in 2009 - - and soon thereafter discovered Regent Seven Seas!

I have never enjoyed reading a "live" report more than yours.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences (with very few glitches!) with many fellow cruisers.

The best to you and your wonderful family!

Safe travels,

Patti

Loved your blog. Thank you for sharing your travels with us, it's been fantastic and your end photos were marvellous. Glad you all got home safe and well in the end and look forward to hearing about your next trip.

Pam.

As the Northeast struggles through a very cold spring (to make up for the warm winter!), myself and my office looked forward to reading your posts everyday and enjoying your adventure with you. You are an amazing writer and have the skill set to write in such a way that it includes the reader in your adventures. We cheered for Shauna when she was finally able to enjoy her beloved Beatles and it brought a tear to the eyes of many when you wrote about the graciousness of the Captain.

Thanks for letting us tag along on your holiday and we look forward to next time - see you on the Explorer!

gnomie :)

Rich, wonderful uplifting thread thanks to Ginny, Shauna and you for a posting duty very well done. Ida and I (like Rachel above) look forward to sharing blog duties from Singapore to Hong Kong next February on board the Voyager.

Gilly, Pepc, poss, Techno123, Rachel, Pamela1, gnomie1, fizzy, WesW and PaulaJK, thank you for the bouquet of lovely comments!

While I don't have a bouquet to give to all of you who followed along, I do have a rose. It is the exquisite Porcelain Rose from the Jardin Botanique de Deshaies, Guadaloupe, and it is my parting gift to you:

pordelain%20rose%20of%20martinique_zps9fukwcff.jpg

Ginny's and my next Regent cruise is the Explorer Maiden Voyage in July. How could I not blog that one, so "sea you" then, friends!

Rich

Sir, thank you for you cruise updates. To a new Regent customer like myself, I appreciate your insight and updates, essentially being the eyes to folks who have not sailed the Mainer. I certainly hope another guests follows as the Mariner continues her voyage. I shall reciprocate as I take my trip to Alaska, hopefully taking a selfie from inside the steakhouse wearing my snappy dress jeans and sports jacket :D:):p:eek:

All the best, sir to you and your family.

Sir, thank you for you cruise updates. To a new Regent customer like myself, I appreciate your insight and updates, essentially being the eyes to folks who have not sailed the Mainer. I certainly hope another guests follows as the Mariner continues her voyage. I shall reciprocate as I take my trip to Alaska, hopefully taking a selfie from inside the steakhouse wearing my snappy dress jeans and sports jacket :D:):p:eek:

All the best, sir to you and your family.

I too will be looking forward to further posts as the Mariner sails onward to Alaska! LLL, I'll be following you on a June cruise, so especially looking forward to your posts and fashion police humor! This thread has been wonderful. Thank you Mr. Rumor for allowing us to join you and your family!

Rich: really sorry to see this board come to an end so quickly. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and family with us. I love your thoroughness in your reporting and am very pleased to hear that you will continue reporting from the Explorer's maiden voyage.

Z and TB

• 4 months later...