Gloves

cruiseonthebrain

I don't have a specific brand to recommend, but if you use your phone as a camera, get ones with touchscreen capability.

Amazon.com has several types in the $20-30 range which would be what I would expect to pay.

I won't be using my cell as a camera- especially if it is raining. I know it gets rainy in Alaska in the summer but not necessarily cold. Last time I went unprepared and had prune fingers whenever I was outside in the rain.

Good luck!

I think that what you are asking for are basically ski gloves, and while they may be light, they are very bulky and really overkill. I find that you really only need gloves if you are on an upper deck of your ship as you sail near a glacier.

If you are worried about your hands getting wet and pruney the best thoughts are to keep a small towel with you to dry them and keep them in your pockets.

I use ski glove liners. They're quite thin, stretchy and skin-tight, and do a fine job of retaining heat and blocking wind while providing plenty of tactile feel. Here's me smiling for my wife while freezing my tuckus off: Alaska Sampler-174

I purchased photographer gloves and absolutely love them. Hands warm, index finger tip opening, waterproof, and lightweight from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AquaTech-Sensory-Gloves-Large-Black/dp/B005SFSXAQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1458923402&sr=1-8&keywords=photographer+gloves

Thank you- I hadn't even thought of this!

I agree with the comment that the only time you will need the gloves will be if you are out on deck when sailing near the glaciers. And even that isn't necessary most of the time. If they don't take up much space bring them but I think you will find them not needed.

Unless you are very early May or late Sept it will probably be much warmer than you think. Layers are the key, not big bulky winter/ski clothing. I've had more t shirt weather than cold trips.

I agree with the comment that the only time you will need the gloves will be if you are out on deck when sailing near the glaciers. And even that isn't necessary most of the time. If they don't take up much space bring them but I think you will find them not needed.

Unless you are very early May or late Sept it will probably be much warmer than you think. Layers are the key, not big bulky winter/ski clothing. I've had more t shirt weather than cold trips.

I was thinking more of the time I was caught out in the rain in Seward for hours and really wanted gloves. If I get cold or wet on the ship I will just go back to my cabin, warm up, dry off and sight see from the cover of our balcony. Now if I am stuck out on an excursion for hours in the rain those gloves will come in mighty handy. If the weather is perfect and I don't need them, even better.

I really just want a pair of lightweight waterproof gloves. Unable to find a pair that were actually waterproof I'm thinking of taking a pair of liners with me and a pair of examination latex gloves that any doctor or salon uses. They are waterproof and lightweight. Just want them to work with my camera. Don't need them to work with a phone.

It's too bad they don't make latex gloves large enough to fit over the liners.

I use ski glove liners. They're quite thin, stretchy and skin-tight, and do a fine job of retaining heat and blocking wind while providing plenty of tactile feel. Here's me smiling for my wife while freezing my tuckus off:

I just want to say wow for your camera equipment. Wow.

I'd strongly recommend test-driving latex gloves before you're depending on them. Remember that waterproof works both ways; the moisture that'd normally evaporate from your skin stays trapped in the gloves.

I'd suggest spraying a pair of running gloves with waterproofing spray. It won't be permanent, but would probably work long enough, and would be more comfortable than latex gloves.

I just bought a pair for my upcoming trip to Alaska in July. I was in Alaska 5 years ago in July and did not bring gloves. Had to buy them there because my hands were freezing on several of the day cruising we did. I was in REI and described what I wanted. Here is a link to what I bought (cheaper than REI prices too). http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-Original-All-Weather-Lighweight/dp/B0018BJRR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459623765&sr=8-1&keywords=090897115215

In response to the last post I put on the gloves I bought and put my hand under the faucet full stream and not one drop went through. Made a fist and pulled it tight and again, no water went through. These gloves are definitely waterproof and thin enough that they should be perfect for my needs on the cruise and land portion before the cruise.