Does NCL really care ???

cruisersflife

Carnival - Free Room Service - CCL is now testing fee based RS items

Carnival - 2 bottles of wine with no fee (this will change 4th quarter 2016)

Carnival - No questions asked to adjust tips

Big difference between charging for all items on a room service menu and charging only for select items.

Big difference between charging for all items on a room service menu and charging only for select items.
Funny, if NCL would have charged for select items, there would be 10 posts saying to just wait because soon everything will be for a fee on the room service menu.

Funny, if NCL would have charged for select items, there would be 10 posts saying to just wait because soon everything will be for a fee on the room service menu.

IIRC correctly NCL did have surcharge items on the room service menu for quite some time before they started charging for everything. (And even if people did post what you say they would it still wouldn't change the fact that there is a big difference between charging for a few items and charging for all of them.)

Edited by sparks1093

Oh dear, I have been here for a long time and I would not be able to tell a price of a drink (unless I had my receipts still). I would not have known of any changes to Norwegian in the last year if not for this website. The FUN part about Norwegian now... is that it is like sailing a different cruise line. While on Breakaway in February, a passenger at the next table in a specialty restaurant explained to me how the new a la carte menu worked...what counted with the dining package and what did not. I am finding it is an age thing for me...and I am sort of enjoying not knowing what to expect, not knowing how it works, and not knowing the tricks. I feel like like a brand new cruiser when I was young and um, you know. The one constant for me...is the vacation dollar...I have my price points for what I think is a value is.

coka:D

Edited by coka

Oh dear, I have been here for a long time and I would not be able to tell a price of a drink (unless I had my receipts still). I would not have known of any changes to Norwegian in the last year if not for this website. The FUN part about Norwegian now... is that it is like sailing a different cruise line. While on Breakaway in February, a passenger at the next table in a specialty restaurant explained to me how the new a la carte menu worked...what counted with the dining package and what did not. I am finding it is an age thing for me...and I am sort of enjoying not knowing what to expect, not knowing how it works, and not knowing the tricks. I feel like like a brand new cruiser when I was young and um, you know. The one constant for me...is the vacation dollar...I have my price points for what I think is a value is.

coka:D

We think alike !!! That is why I am now looking at (and booking) other cruise lines.

We think alike !!! That is why I am now looking at (and booking) other cruise lines.

I sail with other lines (although lately it has been HAL and I do want to try Celebrity) but still sail Norwegian. I am not mad about anything as I believe cruise lines need to make a profit and have to do what they think best. I do however feel bad for the Norwegian crew for a variety of reasons and I feel bad for the passengers who do not have a good time on their vacations.

Perhaps it is how we choose to respond when things to wrong. My brother died back home while I was cruising Breakaway Feb. 2015. I found a group of cruise critics who volunteered to have an Irish Catholic Wake with me on board and I went to church in Nassau. Not how I planned to spend the week but I had to make the best of it. I never wrote a review about that sailing because I only remember prancing into a VIP party with a dinner napkin on my head...:eek:

coka:D:D:D

Case in point, which I posted in another thread - it became clear the values of the "freebies" are factored into the higher fares (really :D ) vs. the no-frills "Sail Away" fares for the same sailings - someone else mentioned they don't see it on the UK site :eek: - here it is again, just a sample one.

I can't explain paying as much as $400 more for 2 people to get up to 250 minutes of "free" WiFi minutes, or the ShorEx credits - :p Unless I am missing something else about these maths ... on this Easter Sunday ??

Priced out RCI & X - they are both cheaper for those looking for last minute specials, no frills pricing are less than this "Sail Away" fares on NCL - set aside the product differences, demographics, basic amenities on the ship, and whatever - http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/46c3d5c148dc5c86764b5d550cdd84ba.jpg

DW is ready to go do another Fun Ship next - or, we would skip our plans to cruise this Fall (like 2015) - airfares to Asia are dirt cheap these days ... there are excellent alternatives.

I sail with other lines (although lately it has been HAL and I do want to try Celebrity) but still sail Norwegian. I am not mad about anything as I believe cruise lines need to make a profit and have to do what they think best. I do however feel bad for the Norwegian crew for a variety of reasons and I feel bad for the passengers who do not have a good time on their vacations.

Perhaps it is how we choose to respond when things to wrong. My brother died back home while I was cruising Breakaway Feb. 2015. I found a group of cruise critics who volunteered to have an Irish Catholic Wake with me on board and I went to church in Nassau. Not how I planned to spend the week but I had to make the best of it. I never wrote a review about that sailing because I only remember prancing into a VIP party with a dinner napkin on my head...:eek:

coka:D:D:D

I love your attitude. We may not like a change or all the changes, but, IMHO, to stew about them doesn't really serve a purpose. Choose a cruise line and go and have a great vacation and if something goes awry, remember things happen that we can't control and there is no need to let anything ruin your cruise, if you have the right attitude.

Case in point, which I posted in another thread - it became clear the values of the "freebies" are factored into the higher fares (really :D ) vs. the no-frills "Sail Away" fares for the same sailings - someone else mentioned they don't see it on the UK site :eek: - here it is again, just a sample one.

I can't explain paying as much as $400 more for 2 people to get up to 250 minutes of "free" WiFi minutes, or the ShorEx credits - :p Unless I am missing something else about these maths ... on this Easter Sunday ??

Priced out RCI & X - they are both cheaper for those looking for last minute specials, no frills pricing are less than this "Sail Away" fares on NCL - set aside the product differences, demographics, basic amenities on the ship, and whatever - http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/46c3d5c148dc5c86764b5d550cdd84ba.jpg

DW is ready to go do another Fun Ship next - or, we would skip our plans to cruise this Fall (like 2015) - airfares to Asia are dirt cheap these days ... there are excellent alternatives.

I agree. This is where being around for a long time does come in handy! I have only sailed Norwegian twice since 2015...both times were when they had to fill the Breakaway last minute...this meant paying same price as in the past plus the freebie packages. I'll hang around for more of that...but not for what I am seeing when the cost of it all is added in and then some. ;)

coka

Different things are important to different people. I don't really care about food, for instance. As long as I'm not cooking it, I'm happy. I don't want to lie in the sun for hours, so if I didn't get a chair by the pool, it wouldn't ruin my trip.

However, I'm not really into cruising. I am just using the cruise ship as a cheaper way to see certain ports, so if I missed one of the ports, I would be terribly disappointed (unless it was Nassau ;)).

As a long time platinum ncl crusier I have to ask what happen to ncl . Just got off the gem march 12th sailing and it waslike I had book a dollar store cruise. Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple , 8.00 for room service ,we had to miss st. martin do to many sick people and THEY give me a $ 9.76 return for missing a port WOw this for a cruise price of over 4 thousand dollars . I told them I can`t even afford your drinks at the price. So we loose 1 of our 3 n half stops and they compensate me $9.76 cents WOW Start taking my money to another cruise line or maybe resorts . There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE I remember ner seeing the same items for at least 7 days , the people on service agreed with me and told to call corporate they will listen to me because I`m platinum lol lol good luck with that they just don`t care ANYMORE so future cruisers beware not like those hyped commercials ANYMORE

That is awful. We're long time NCL passengers and I would be rethinking my loyalty if I had the same experience you did. I will also say that on a Celebrity cruise of the Greek Isles in the summer of 2014, we missed Sicily. This was a huge disappointment for us as we had never been to Sicily. Without even asking, Celebrity gave every cabin a few hundred dollar credit for the missed port. The money didn't make up for missing the port to us, but it was a very nice gesture and we appreciated the credit. Shame on NCL.

Having been on the Epic twice since November, I have seen and heard a few passengers moan about anything and everything. Sure the drink prices are steep but we had the UDP and I wouldn't cruise NCL without it.

The food was great, with plenty of choice everywhere we looked. Prime rib on several nights and a very good sea food buffet and equally as good grill night, when I remarked to my wife how good is was, a lady nearby said "If you like that sort of food "

No pleasing some !!

Having been on the Epic twice since November, I have seen and heard a few passengers moan about anything and everything. Sure the drink prices are steep but we had the UDP and I wouldn't cruise NCL without it.

The food was great, with plenty of choice everywhere we looked. Prime rib on several nights and a very good sea food buffet and equally as good grill night, when I remarked to my wife how good is was, a lady nearby said "If you like that sort of food "

No pleasing some !!

Just need a clarification.....re: "prime rib on several nights"--are you referring to MDR or buffet or other ?? Thanks.....

I thought I read..prime rib only at extra cost...:confused:

No pleasing some !!

Did you have crab legs on your seafood buffet on the Epic? We had them on the Escape's March 5th sailing ... just wondering if NCL is doing that across the board now.

The size doesn't matter when you could get all you wanted agt no charge. That is how Carnival and Princess do it now.

As I understand it we are talking a better lobster and better cut of meat, such as one would have had to get from a specialty restaurant in the past. Now that the specialty's are going a la carte it kind of makes sense for them to offer some of those items to people dining in the MDR. As long as it doesn't affect the rest of the MDR menu it's all good.

As a long time platinum ncl crusier I have to ask what happen to ncl . Just got off the gem march 12th sailing and it waslike I had book a dollar store cruise. Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple , 8.00 for room service ,we had to miss st. martin do to many sick people and THEY give me a $ 9.76 return for missing a port WOw this for a cruise price of over 4 thousand dollars . I told them I can`t even afford your drinks at the price. So we loose 1 of our 3 n half stops and they compensate me $9.76 cents WOW Start taking my money to another cruise line or maybe resorts . There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE I remember ner seeing the same items for at least 7 days , the people on service agreed with me and told to call corporate they will listen to me because I`m platinum lol lol good luck with that they just don`t care ANYMORE so future cruisers beware not like those hyped commercials ANYMORE

you only get your port charges back when missing a port. this is why i book cheap cabins.....no great loss if we miss something.

The size doesn't matter when you could get all you wanted agt no charge. That is how Carnival and Princess do it now.

Steve/Bev, Frank & Mary Ellen, Bill & I and our friends have booked Princess and we've been out of touch with you. Look at Nov 10th on the Star Princess since you "like" to cruise so much!:cool:

Just give us a nod if you will still consider it after all these B2B cruises. Thinking of you both and want to wish Myrna a Happy Birthday and we will celebrate later, like we are use to doing!! Sail on Friends, enjoy it and hope you'll be ready in Nov. to join us after some Summer pool parties at home. :D

Just give one of us a "sign" here or email or phone. Love

Bill & Ruth (cruisingalong)

Steve/Bev, Frank & Mary Ellen, Bill & I and our friends have booked Princess and we've been out of touch with you. Look at Nov 10th on the Star Princess since you "like" to cruise so much!:cool:

Just give us a nod if you will still consider it after all these B2B cruises. Thinking of you both and want to wish Myrna a Happy Birthday and we will celebrate later, like we are use to doing!! Sail on Friends, enjoy it and hope you'll be ready in Nov. to join us after some Summer pool parties at home. :D

Just give one of us a "sign" here or email or phone. Love

Bill & Ruth (cruisingalong)

We are looking at the Star cruise, but right now, we have the Island Princess booked next month for the round trip via Panama.

Will look at it when we return. Bill

As I understand it we are talking a better lobster and better cut of meat, such as one would have had to get from a specialty restaurant in the past. Now that the specialty's are going a la carte it kind of makes sense for them to offer some of those items to people dining in the MDR. As long as it doesn't affect the rest of the MDR menu it's all good.

I can understand some people liking the idea of lobster and better cut of beef in the MDR, but from my recent experience on the other two lines, I received those items in both the MDR and buffet along with escargot without additional charges.

The quality of both the lobster and filet were very good in my opinion, so I could not justify paying higher prices for the cruise, then paying more for these items on NCL

I enjoyed the Le Bistro as a platinum perk, but NCL is even restricting that more than they have in the past.

I suppose if I were getting my cruises on NCL discounted or free, I could justify paying extra for these items, but that is not the case with me, so I plan to enjoy the cruises on the other lines as long as they surpass NCL in quality, service, and price.

Edited by swedish weave

• 1 year later...
I think the reason a lot of us get annoyed on here is because of statements like these.

A malibu and pineapple is not $13.00, even with service charge.

Also, so many people post the menus on here, and everyone can clearly see that they change nightly and are not recycled. Yes, there are always the 4 or so "classics" for the picky people who won't venture away from fried chicken or regular steak, but the majority of the menu changes.

The thing is, when people leave negative reviews of anything (not just cruises), their view is so negatively skewed. They don't remember everything exactly, causing them to exaggerate.

Clearly, the OP did not have an ideal cruise, and I'm sure is disappointed. It's just frustrating to see posts like this sometimes where other newbies could read it and go in blind with an already (and incorrectly) negative view.

That's all. Other than the fact that $8.00 room service is cheaper than most hotels kthxbye.

hate to tell it was exactly 13.50 for a Malibu and pineapple .