Does NCL really care ???

cruisersflife

On my last cruise in December on the Dawn and all my preceding cruises, the service was and has been outstanding. I've never waited more than a couple of minutes for a drink (and in some of the specialty restaurants, they brought me a drink before I asked for it, because I had been there previously on the cruise) or food. There was more than enough food, if I wouldn't have been able to get extras, I could have gone to another location. I've never walked down a hallway or past a staff member where I didn't get a smile and good morning, etc. On the Dawn, between my Butler, Room Steward and Concierge, these tremendous employees had been with NCL for 17 years for two of the staff members (they actually started on the same day) and 10 years for the other, showing that NCL attracts good employees and keeps them.

I agree with you on the NCL Dawn. We took the Dawn out of New Orleans last year and it was our first cruise and we were blown away by the service and cleanliness of the ship. We enjoyed eating in the MDR every night and never felt like our options were limited. We had such a great experience on that cruise that we immediately booked our next one with NCL and leave out on the Jewel this time in 15 days!! :D:cool:

Have a wonderful cruise; the Jewel is also a great ship, I've had a number of fantastic cruises on her.

When I read what others say about service, sometimes I think you get what you give out. A smile and a kind word goes a long way.

I agree with this 100%. It's like that saying goes, you catch more bees with honey. People that serve other people for a living are used to getting treated like crap by people with entitlement problems. If you treat them kindly, with a smile, they will show their appreciation by giving back great service with a smile. At least that's been my experience in life!

I have to say, I'm very much an amateur cruiser and will be sailing NCL for the second time and first time in 6 years, but I am astounded at the ancillary fees.

Room service charge? Cant adjust auto tips? Corkage fee on every bottle of wine?

I haven't even cruised yet and I already feel nickel-and-dimed. Seems sleazy.

I think the increase in drink prices are a direct push for folks to buy the Unlimited Beverage Packages.

But with that being said, this is a very small cruise line. NCL doesn't have the same volume as Carnival Corp, so what it loses in fare revenue, it must make up in fees to show the same margins to Wall Street.

Edited by SmitteeB11

It's hard to believe that someone who has been on Cruise Critic since 2005 wouldn't know the drink prices or a charge for room service.

Caveat Emptor.

Or even that ships miss ports!:eek::eek:

I have to say, I'm very much an amateur cruiser and will be sailing NCL for the second time and first time in 6 years, but I am astounded at the ancillary fees.

Room service charge? Cant adjust auto tips? Corkage fee on every bottle of wine?

I think the increase in drink prices are a direct push for folks to buy the Unlimited Beverage Packages.

But with that being said, this is a very small cruise line. NCL doesn't have the same volume as Carnival Corp, so what it loses in fare revenue, it must make up in fees to show the same margins to Wall Street.

Yes, you can adjust your auto tips. You just have to get a form from Guest Services and email it in when you get back from your return. I might be wrong, but I believe the corkage fee on wine has been there for many years, so it is really nothing new.

The three items you mention (room service charge - auto tip adjustment - and corkage fee) are not handled the same on many of the other cruise lines. Some allow a bottle of wine without charge if consumed in your cabin. Free room service exists on some other lines as well as adjustment of the auto tips.

It appears that NCL management has taken the extra charges to a new high in order to boost revenue. It may be necessary for them to do some of these things due to their extremely high debt equity ratio.

Edited by swedish weave

The three items you mention (room service charge - auto tip adjustment - and corkage fee) are not handled the same on many of the other cruise lines. Some allow a bottle of wine without charge if consumed in your cabin. Free room service exists on some other lines as well as adjustment of the auto tips.

It appears that NCL management has taken the extra charges to a new high in order to boost revenue. It may be necessary for them to do some of these things due to their extremely high debt equity ratio.

I agree with everything you say and mind you, I have only cruise on NCL and CCL...

Carnival - Free Room Service

Carnival - 2 bottles of wine with no fee

Carnival - No questions asked to adjust tips

So coming from a Carnival experience, I'm a little "fee-shocked". But in the end, I'm on vacation, I'm still ahead.

I agree with everything you say and mind you, I have only cruise on NCL and CCL...

So coming from a Carnival experience, I'm a little "fee-shocked". But in the end, I'm on vacation, I'm still ahead.

Has Carnival's policy changed recently? According to their website, you can only bring one bottle of wine onboard and there is a corkage fee if consumed in the MDR, Steakhouse or bar:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Has Carnival's policy changed recently? According to their website, you can only bring one bottle of wine onboard and there is a corkage fee if consumed in the MDR, Steakhouse or bar:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

The policy hasn't changed. Two people per room are allowed two bottles of wine without charge if consumed outside the dining venues or bars. Even that can be circumvented by taking a glass of wine to those venues.

Since NCL charges for every bottle you bring aboard, none of the above is possible on NCL without charge.

Edited by swedish weave

Sometimes, but if you set your expectations too high, you probably would not be satisfied!

So, be Happy and enjoy the cruise! You make the cruise not NCL!

Good advice. Set your expectations very low on any NCL cruise and maybe you won't be disappointed.

NCL has fallen off so severely in the last few years in just about every metric.

In a world class hospitality organization the guest is treated as an honored guest by every member of the staff. Every. Single. Time. To excuse poor guest relations by saying that the guest is acting all entitled or snooty or demanding or whatever is not an acceptable excuse in a world class hospitality organization. To provide less than stellar service is not tolerated in a world class hospitality organization. That is what Del Rio has indicated that is what he wants and reports like this show that he has a long way to go to get NCL there.

As a long time platinum ncl crusier I have to ask what happen to ncl . Just got off the gem march 12th sailing and it waslike I had book a dollar store cruise. Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple , 8.00 for room service ,we had to miss st. martin do to many sick people and THEY give me a $ 9.76 return for missing a port WOw this for a cruise price of over 4 thousand dollars . I told them I can`t even afford your drinks at the price. So we loose 1 of our 3 n half stops and they compensate me $9.76 cents WOW Start taking my money to another cruise line or maybe resorts . There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE I remember ner seeing the same items for at least 7 days , the people on service agreed with me and told to call corporate they will listen to me because I`m platinum lol lol good luck with that they just don`t care ANYMORE so future cruisers beware not like those hyped commercials ANYMORE

It's the new management. Del Rio thinks his customers are too stupid to see how much he has devalued the brand while raising the prices. I think he's wrong and over time his management decisions are going to hurt NCL.

Then I'm confused, if the OP is Platinum wouldn't he/she know that there is always a portion of the menu that never changes?

I haven't cruised with the new menus yet, but I just might have to try the MDR because of the new offerings.

The new offerings are wonderful. You can also order a filet and tail without having to go to a specialty restaurant.

There was a noticeable difference in the folks getting off the Carnival ship docked right next to us, and the people getting off the Escape. I wouldn't set foot on a Carnival ship any more!

Unfortunately I can't say the same about some people on our recent Getaway cruise. Not the clientele we've usually seen onboard NCL ships.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. That's what it's called an OPINION.

Exactly, this - need that "like" (and, "disklike") button among the "Smiles" or emoji (or, simple, "Thumb-Up" (and, where have a different opinion ... disagree - can choose Thumb-Down, by voting) here on CC as in Cruise Critic, not just Cruiseline CheerLeading. But, whatever - moderator's perogatives / discretion.

OP's opinion, I can see & understand where s/he is coming from - regardless of tier status - surely, many feel & speak with a titanium tone here. Food opinions are subjective, always are - what NCL used to have is variety, far more rotating & diverse choices ... say 8 to 10+ years ago. Quality of the food today, seemed to improved (maybe, maybe not) - both in the MDR and specialty dining on NCL, to some pax - but I think few can argue about having few choices & options under the same "banquet hall" roof, especially in the MDR - especially when not sailing the mega-ships; with a ton of "pay" extra optional add-ons ("freebies" :eek:).

Case in point, then - chilled soups (not everyone a fan of them,) both in the MDR & buffet, typically 2 daily selections and not repeated on day 3 and day 7 - the executive chef was more "creative", IMHO. The daily offering of salads in the MDR - a base made up of tossed green salad can be given a fancy name by adding a few items ... but, a caesar salad is more challenging to disguise, especially if you walk over to OSH & see it there everyday. Sure, nobody goes hungry & if one goes to the buffet everytime, can usually come out stuffed full ... fries, burgers #cough #cough beef sliders, different style of hotdogs. (Trust me, our local "Five Guys" are better, much better - hot & freshly made to order)

Last but not least, maybe a bit off-topic: while some/many/most of us type with a full-size keyboard - there are those who do their replies and/or post via a smartphone or phablet; and, without an external BT/wireless keyboard, it's not as easy to do all the formatting & CAPs "correcting" etc. - and, I don't recall Apps like Tapatalk having integrated Spell check features. Sometimes, typos & errors are discovered/realized but if you missed that 20 minutes "window" after posting - you are simply OOL - unless the MOD deleted your post(s) for whatever reasons.

Last time I checked, CCL is still serving shrimp cocktail at no charge in the MDR and steak & eggs for breakfast, also in the MDR - not bad, not at all.

Wait, hurry - OBC for new bookings now ... better run for it & call NCL. They do care, for the bottom - line.

Edited by mking8288

I just had a very nice experience with the Extra OBC.

Got it added to the other 4 Free at Sea offers on our sold-out aft.

Very happy. 150pp, 300 for the Hubble and me.

All it took was one call.

I was going to swear off Cruise Critic until summer so that I get more done at night, but happened upon another post thread referencing this.

Have a great day

I have never cruised NCL before, but have one planned for January. The $13 you paid for a drink seems pretty much the norm now days. I think I paid $14 for a cocktail on our last cruise. Our cruise on NCL came with an Uktimate Beverage Package and I am really looking forward to that, as the price of drinks on cruises having gone up so much in recent years.

And as one other person on this thread stated, a cruise is what you make it. Some people have a terrible time on a ship that other people rave about. Personally, I enjoy myself on ALL cruises, no matter what. Give me some sunshine (away from cold Buffalo, NY) and a cocktail, and I'm happy! 😎🌴🍷

I love your attitude! :) I believe it is what you make of it. We leave tomorrow on the Getaway I can't wait. We also have the UBP as I remember last year we were limited to our drinks because of price and no package. I am just hoping for a beautiful week.

Carnival - Free Room Service - CCL is now testing fee based RS items

Carnival - 2 bottles of wine with no fee (this will change 4th quarter 2016)

Does the Gem have different MDR menus than Getaway and Escape? Those are the only two NCL ships I've been on and the dinner menus definitely had different choices every night.

On our last cruise, I ordered steak and fries every night but the last night when I thought I would at least try something different. The server was shocked because he had already written steak and fries. I told him either one was fine. :).

NCL is very discouraging these days. The old mdr menus were very uninspired. Hopefully the new menu's are better. Gosh knows they needed it.

The bad mouthing of carnival is nonsense. Arrogance is unbecoming and not justified I'd wager.

NCL may not actually care as long as corporations make a buck they don't give a flying...peking duck.